The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52508 - 26/11/09 09:05 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: ruth020989]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
The Lion Inn certainly stilldoes Bed and Breakfast, the prices are on their website. The real issue is that they are moving more towards guaranteed bookings from the Middlesbrough toffs rather than single bed walkers who are not always turning up. I passed last Sunday and their car park was reasonably full. If you are arriving midweek there should be little problem booking from your previous stopping point, weekends could be a tad more problematic if they won't accept a booking.

An alternative is to catch the Moorsbus service that stops outside the pub. From the pub you can catch a bus direct into Hutton (very expensive accommodation) or Castleton (far cheaper). If you continue to Ralph Cross can also travel into Rosedale Abbey and there is another service into Castleton (that doesn't pass the Lion) from here. There is also the bunkhouse at Sinnington.

The timetable is usually out well before Easter, usually about February, but the timings may be awkward. This year a bus left Castleton for Ralphs just before 10. They run weekends most of the Summer (with a limited midweek service) with a service everyday during the mains school holidays.

You can also catch a train from Castleton to the larger villages EG the 9.15 (approx) train from Glaisdale connects with the 10am (approx) bus.

Failing that, some B and B in Castleton will come and pick you up and drop you back the next day. Contact them and ask.

#52509 - 26/11/09 09:22 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: Fell_Over]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Originally Posted By: Fell_Over
One last thing...............(sorry),

Does anyone know the actual distance from Osmotherly YH to the Lion Inn,Blakey.And then from the Lion Inn to Robin Hoods Bay.Is 2 days doable?

Thanks in advance

Footprint makes it about 21.5m from the YH (via Beacon Hill) and 30 to RHB (est. YH @ 140, Lion 161.5 and RHB 191.5) - Footprint miles are generous but as Stottie points out the up and down can make 'em feel about right,
cheers
lwm

#52510 - 26/11/09 10:44 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

If you can't ge in at The Lion another possibility is to leave the railway just after Bloworth Crossing and head down Farndale. There is accommodation at the Feversham Arms at Church Houses. You can then rejoin the route by walking up Blakey Bank to the Lion. It doesn't hardly add any distance at all. Be careful if you eat at the Feversham Arms ... the meals are enormous. I've never met anyone able to eat a dessert after one of their main meals!

#52511 - 26/11/09 11:16 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: slowcoach]
ruth020989 Offline

'boro toffs.

do such things exist?

they've all moved from south bank to great ayton haven't they?

#52513 - 27/11/09 12:05 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: ruth020989]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Dale Head Fm told me they were going to start doing B&B - this would mean cutting across the head of Rosedale. May be worth a try - it's the same as has the campsite, about a mile on from Lion Inn

#52522 - 27/11/09 06:35 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: lightweightmick]
Fell_Over Offline

Ok guys thanks.
The itinerary is complete now for May.

Osmotherley to Lion Inn,Blakey and then Lion Inn to Robin Hoods Bay will be 50 miles for the final 2 days,just hope the adrenalin carries me through.

In the meantime i just need to decide whether to wear my Brashers only,or to take my Merrell Chameleons too!

Bye now

#52526 - 27/11/09 08:40 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: ruth020989]
slowcoach Offline

Originally Posted By: ruth020989
'boro toffs.

do such things exist?

they've all moved from south bank to great ayton haven't they?

I don't wish to challenge your noteworthy accuracy in any way whatsoever but did you really mean "all"? I could have understood "both" but perhaps a third one is now counted as a Middlesbrough toff. Do you know his/her name or does he/she wag his/her tail?

#52553 - 28/11/09 10:00 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: slowcoach]
Fell_Over Offline

I have now been advised to wear the mentioned boots only and to leave my Merrell Chameleon trainers at home because they would be of no use considering i will be carrying a packweight of 16 kilos.Damn.

#52554 - 28/11/09 10:06 PM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: Fell_Over]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: Fell_Over
I have now been advised to wear the mentioned boots only and to leave my Merrell Chameleon trainers at home because they would be of no use considering i will be carrying a packweight of 16 kilos.Damn.

16 KILOS? BLIMEY O'Riley!Thats even heavier than my predicted 15.97 KILOS!
Mind you, the tent is gonna be 14.97 kilos of that,unless someone buys it off me befor June 6th
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52864 - 16/12/09 11:58 AM Re: Danby Wiske [Re: Speedywheels]
BobTheFish Offline

Yes thank to mountain girl, I have now made contact with the White Swan and booked my accomadation! All I have to do now is keep to the timetable, I'm planning to do it mid may in 9 days!!

by the way the e-mail address for the White Swan is
[email protected]
and the contact name is Gill.

BTF

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917