The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52592 - 30/11/09 03:28 AM OL 33/34
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada

I have these (battered) maps. I will lend them to whom ever (subjective!)would like to use them and responds first (as long as they can wait a week or so for surface mail.) I will need them back by July 2010. If there are several requests, perhaps they can be passed from one to another as long as they get back to me by the above date.Please perform any necessary repairs as you use them.I bought them in 2000.

#52597 - 30/11/09 07:26 AM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: canmal]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Since 2000 these maps have been completely revised to include Open Access land. This is quite a significant revision in open countryside and enables walkers to take short cuts in case of unfavourable weather and lostness without incurring the wrath of locals. Also these maps have had several alterations to RUPPs, some (but not all) of which now have been reclassified as BOATS and RBs. In some cases RT routes have also been included. So, if you are visiting England next year I would suggest an upgrade.

#52612 - 30/11/09 09:40 PM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Since 2000 these maps have been completely revised to include Open Access land. This is quite a significant revision in open countryside and enables walkers to take short cuts in case of unfavourable weather and lostness without incurring the wrath of locals. Also these maps have had several alterations to RUPPs, some (but not all) of which now have been reclassified as BOATS and RBs. In some cases RT routes have also been included. So, if you are visiting England next year I would suggest an upgrade.

EXCUUUUUOOOOSE MEEEE????
I haven't done my route yet.
Arm waitn fer a map

EXCUUUUUUUSE MEEEEE.I haven't decided my route yet
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52613 - 30/11/09 10:22 PM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

I know you live in Suffolk,but coming to Yorkshire doesn't count as visiting England. Civilisation, yes, but not England.

#52614 - 30/11/09 10:33 PM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
grinI didn't realise you had seen me and my big orange truck, or I would have waved.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52615 - 30/11/09 10:42 PM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Not the orange SHAPED one I trust?

#52618 - 01/12/09 05:15 AM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: slowcoach]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Does that mean they're no good?..sorry, don't know what you mean re "RUPPs,BOATS,RB's."
Can you get an upgrade to these strip maps?

#52619 - 01/12/09 05:26 AM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: canmal]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
They are now out of print and have become a rare species. I would suggest they are perfectly usable and you may find yourself the envy of other c2c walkers.
Pay no attention to RUPPS, etc.

#52626 - 01/12/09 04:35 PM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: Gregg]
slowcoach Offline

The original idea of these OS maps was to act a prototype for the eventual production of linear maps of each long distance footpath. Unfortunately this idea was abandoned by the OS (with the exception of Hadrian's Wall) for a number of unexpected reasons.

Firstly, the take up by walkers was, surprisingly, well below expectations. This was eventually traced back (through a questionnaire) to the fact that walkers, in general, like myself, tend to undertake LDPs using a guidebook. These invariably contain a linear map so the standard OS maps are taken as well to provide an overview of the terrain beyond the linear limits. They saw no reason to purchase an extra linear map.

Secondly, the choice of the C to C as a first trial was a poor one in that it was an unofficial trail. The route had been plotted without consultation with interested bodies and received little support from NPs or councils. AWs route was perceived as paying no heed to local environmental needs. There were issues (such as Nine Standards) where the route was unsuitable for year round heavy usage and subsequent diversions were required. The OS found itself caught in the middle of an unexpected controversy.

Thirdly, stemming from the above, the number of minor, but significant alterations (as around the Lion) would have meant frequent reprints which sales could not justify. The idea of linear long distance routes therefore bit the dust.

My mention of Rupps, BOATs and RBs was intended to show that OS maps are an evolving system which constantly change. The longer a map is held the more it becomes out of date. The OS were always reluctant to include RTs on maps as their status had been occasionally challenged. However a court case recently clarified the law and they are now starting to appear on maps, although unnamed. These could significantly assist walkers.

Yes, you can still use a ten year old map and you will probably not experience too much difficulty. However, as in all cases of people walking in remote terrain, the more up to date the map you have the less likely you are to encounter problems, especially under adverse conditions. Don't rely on luck, always consider the worse case scenario. Compare your map to the ones in a modern guidebook or current OS maps (viewable on the OS website) and make the decision yourself from the evidence.

Here endeth the first lesson!!!

Agreed, most of a map will remain the same. However, advise is always to use the best equipment that you can afford. Most walkers carry decent waterproofs but I have frequently seen individuals shelyering from a storm clad in a poncho or pacamac.

#52627 - 01/12/09 06:30 PM Re: OL 33/34 [Re: slowcoach]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I have been wondering what the following were as I didn't know and I assumed everyone else did! For those that didn't:-

BOATS Byways Open to All Traffic

RUPPs - Roads used mainly as Public Paths

RBs Restricted Byways
Pennine Way 2005&2014;C2C 2006;SWCP 2007;WHW 2008;GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011;Clev.W 2012;Yorkshire W.W. 2012;Offa's Dyke 2013;Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014;Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015;LEJoG 2018;Camino 2019;2020 NOTHING!2021 Hopefully.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917