The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52797 - 12/12/09 02:05 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Given the tens of billions of pounds we give the Ministry of Defence each year I would have thought they could have provided a vehicular bridge by now.

But remember the money we give them is so they can go off to far flung parts of the world and do the bidding of our masters and get targeted in the process, not stay home and look after us.

But praise where praise is due...ours are the best at whatever it is they are tasked to do,and do it without question.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52828 - 13/12/09 02:17 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard

Given the tens of billions of pounds we give the Ministry of Defence each year I would have thought they could have provided a vehicular bridge by now.

The R.E's have the means to provide vehicular bridges very quickly. They are like giant mecano sets and can be built on one bank and cantilevered across the gap, the Sappers then balance across the structure carrying the 'bank set' for the other side. When this is quickly built the bridge is pushed further across to land and rest upon it. Ramps and decking is added and is then ready for use. These bridges can carry tanks etc so road vehicles are no problem.
The only problem as I see it are the lengh of spans. For long spans across rivers, pontoon bridges can be assembled. These are literally a series of floats linked together and decking added. The army have some very technical amphibious bridging units too, but these are only for short term crossings. The problem with some of the bridges that are affected is that the rivers they span are tidal, rising and falling, narrowing and widening a couple of times daily, this makes pontoons difficult to manage.
No doubt they are going to take some months to replace.
Dave.

#52836 - 13/12/09 07:18 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: Lounge Lizard]
plodder Offline

Loc: England
The ginger beers build bridges for tracked and all terrain vehicles, not family cars and milk floats. Both ends of this bridge are in fields, with no roadway approach, so itís a footbridge.

#52838 - 13/12/09 10:05 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: plodder]
ruth020989 Offline

queer phrase that......'ginger beers'

thought the origin was either aussie - diggers - or london east end ; many common connections of course.

however...thanks to the ginger beers i can now drive my vauxhall cavalier across the river to pick up my chandelier....more tea vicar!!

#52849 - 14/12/09 04:50 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: ruth020989]
plodder Offline

engineers

#52850 - 14/12/09 05:48 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: plodder]
ruth020989 Offline

many thanks. so difficult to work out rhyming slang isn't it.

i think i'll refer to them as the Corp of Royal Engineers ; i for one will not be addressing them as ginger beers ; so disappointing to hear of people running down the army ; rather sad to see people on this forum doing just that. they do a great job and the use of perjorative language can only harm morale.

#52851 - 14/12/09 06:50 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: ruth020989]
plodder Offline

Ruth,
I think you should get off your high horse. I served for many years with the paras and special forces. As did my grandfather and now my son. Your post is way over the top. You must have had a sense of humour by-pass. As for morale, if the lads read your post they would laugh their caps off.

#52853 - 14/12/09 07:20 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: plodder]
plodder Offline

Some more for you.

Marines = bootnecks. Sailors = rum bum and backy brigade. Cavalry = donkey wallopers. Logistic Corps = blanket stackers. Catering Corps = slop jockeys.
Guards = wooden tops. I could go on. No offence intended.

#52855 - 14/12/09 07:44 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: plodder]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: plodder
The ginger beers build bridges for tracked and all terrain vehicles, not family cars and milk floats. Both ends of this bridge are in fields, with no roadway approach, so itís a footbridge.

There are many RE built Bailley bridges up and down the country especially Scotland that have been in place for many years, as permanent strutures for domestic road traffic in country areas.
Dave.

#52856 - 14/12/09 07:46 PM Re: Bridge Closures [Re: plodder]
plodder Offline

Ruth,
Only the Ruperts ( officers) will know what "perjorative language" means. Lighten up lass.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917