The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52683 - 06/12/09 10:24 AM sept 2010 walking and accommodation
wildhag Offline

In the planning stage for sept 2010 and looking at booking all accommodation in advance. From posts I've seen so far this seems to be the best thing to do. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with accommodation being particularly gay friendly or particularly gay unfriendly. Have heard about some less than pleasant experiences travelling as a female couple when using b&b accommodation.

#52684 - 06/12/09 04:58 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: wildhag]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
My Friend. Why make such a song and dance over your situation. Unless you go around broadcasting it nobody will know and quite honestly nobody gives a tinkers curse what you do. Accommodation being in such short supply along the trail it is quite common for people of the same sex to have to share the same room. Indeed, B&B owners during September will probably thank you for offering to share. It means that they can sell another room to another couple and make more money. Get used to it and just get on with your booking without making a fuss.

#52685 - 06/12/09 05:31 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
plodder Offline

Loc: England
Some people are friendly, some are not. It makes little difference to such folk who you are. Thatís life.

#52686 - 06/12/09 07:33 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: wildhag]
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted By: wildhag
In the planning stage for sept 2010 and looking at booking all accommodation in advance. From posts I've seen so far this seems to be the best thing to do. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with accommodation being particularly gay friendly or particularly gay unfriendly. Have heard about some less than pleasant experiences travelling as a female couple when using b&b accommodation.

What??? why on earth would anyone ask this question? Some of my best friends are gay and I cannot imagine any of them asking such a question. Get on with your life as you wish.

On a number of occasions during our c2c crossing two of us not only shared a room we had to share a bed because of a shortage of available accommodation. It was the same during the Hadrian's Wall walk, a few times all four of us shared a room with two to a bed... We are not gay... mind you by the time we got to the end of the walks we were very happy!!

#52688 - 07/12/09 07:18 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: HB]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
This, in fairness to Wildhag, is not an unreasonable question bearing in mind the entrenched attitudes that can still be found in some moorland and dales villages. A tearoom was opened this Easter in a small village quite close to (but not easily accessible from) the C to C run by a couple of gay chaps. The village reaction was deplorable (in my opinion). Visitors were told quite openly to avoid the place (and why). The chaps were shunned in the local shop and certainly made fun of in the pub. They closed and moved out in early September. It is possible to ride out these problems in a large settlement but not where you live in an enclosed environment. This is indicative of the culture that still remains in areas where certain local noteworthies believe that "standards must be maintained."

There was also problems in a tourist hotspot last year when two gay ladies tried to take over an established guest house in the southern Lakes. Again, local hostility rendered this impossible.

I have not heard though of any problems encountered on the main national trails and I sure that any would have been posted on the web sites pretty quickly. Also, the National Trails websites would quickly deleted any of their possible accommodation addresses if discrimination was reported. So ... go ahead Wildhag, in confidence. If still worried, there is always hostels.

#52689 - 07/12/09 07:57 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
wildhag Offline

thank you slowcoach for taking my question seriously. i certainly live my life the way I want to but sadly have been subject to, if not discriminatory behaviour, then made to feel uncomfortable in certain situations. thank you too to all other replies. it would appear i have nothing to worry about, other than being ridiculed for my enquiry.

#52690 - 07/12/09 08:54 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: wildhag]
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Slowcoach, I know what you are saying and agree with you. But if you are walking and using B&B's, there is no need for anyone to know what your sexuality is. It is such a question that brings attention to one and in turn bring out predudice.

So long as it is not thrust into the faces of those around, then no one need be involved. Years ago when I was a young lass my boyfriend kissed me (not the tongue bit!) while we were in a pub, and we were kicked out of the pub!
It's a bit like religion as far as discussions are concerned. My parents would not allow politics, regligion or sexuality discussed in their house because there would always be disagreement and upset with one or the other.

Go wildhag, enjoy your walk and the wonderful experiences that you will get on such a walk, but it may be prudent not to discuss your sexuality, it's no one's business but yours. Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.

#52691 - 07/12/09 10:43 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: HB]
RichardJ Offline

Loc: Warrington, UK
With the price of some of the accommodation, it's not at all uncommon for same sex "pairings" to share a room. I did it!

I think the assumption of all proprietors will be that you are looking after the budget.

#52692 - 07/12/09 01:52 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: RichardJ]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
I don't think you will have any problems Wildhag. As mentioned earlier, it is the money side I think B&B's are more interested in, and you can get grotty proprietors regardless.

Enjoy your walk.

#52693 - 07/12/09 02:27 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Yes Janice. Most of the owners are very pleasant, but at the end of the season some become quite unpleasant, regardless of whether you come from Mars or Venus. Trying to get a smile from them is like try to crack a walnut between your knees.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917