The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52694 - 07/12/09 03:11 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
ruth020989 Offline

it's a fair question for wildhag to raise ; even though for most it might appear unnecessary. we are not as homogenous as sometimes imagined ; we're an island of different tribes all with slightly different perspectives on issues...and long may that continue.

where you live in the country and your age is likely to have some influence on your attitude to homosexuality ( for a whole host of reasons ) ; and more so open homosexuality.

that said i'd be amazed if you experienced any open hostility from b&b proprietors on the c2c.

just remember......there's nowt so queer as folk.....they'll have seen all sorts over the years ...... a couple of girls out and about probably want raise as much as an eyebrow.

#52697 - 07/12/09 04:58 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Agreed Oldun. I do remember being frightened of the lady who ran the B&B at Butt House in Keld. She was quite regimental and thought nothing of being sharp with you if you didn't conform. However, when you got to know her she was rather sweet.

#52700 - 07/12/09 05:27 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
This, in fairness to Wildhag, is not an unreasonable question bearing in mind the entrenched attitudes that can still be found in some moorland and dales villages. A tearoom was opened this Easter in a small village quite close to (but not easily accessible from) the C to C run by a couple of gay chaps. The village reaction was deplorable (in my opinion). Visitors were told quite openly to avoid the place (and why). The chaps were shunned in the local shop and certainly made fun of in the pub. They closed and moved out in early September. It is possible to ride out these problems in a large settlement but not where you live in an enclosed environment. This is indicative of the culture that still remains in areas where certain local noteworthies believe that "standards must be maintained."

There was also problems in a tourist hotspot last year when two gay ladies tried to take over an established guest house in the southern Lakes. Again, local hostility rendered this impossible.

Much of the attraction of parts of rural Britain is that little has changed for many decades but the downside of this is that in some areas attitudes are as if we were still living before the Sexual Offences Act was passed in 1968.
Businesses though will be more interested in the contents of your wallet than what your sexual orientation is.

#52702 - 07/12/09 08:23 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
happywalker Offline

Loc: england
Dear Wildhag,
When staying in Roshtwaite, I urge you to splash out and stay at Hazel Bank hotel. it is total heaven on earth, superb food,lovely rooms, views which you will treasure forever, and it is owned and run by a gay couple. One lad is the chef and the other front of house. Really welcoming, lovely people Theyve got a nice dog too. Have fun - you will! evryone you meet on the C2C is a bit querky, and in my experience, open minded. Love, Joy.

#52703 - 07/12/09 08:23 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie
Agreed Oldun. I do remember being frightened of the lady who ran the B&B at Butt House in Keld. She was quite regimental and thought nothing of being sharp with you if you didn't conform. However, when you got to know her she was rather sweet.

Janice, I remember her well. A fire breather with a heart of gold. I arrived at the Butt House late evening, totally bedraggled and on my last legs. She took all my gear and sat me down with a large beer, then brought in one of the best home cooked meals I had had in a long time.

#52705 - 07/12/09 08:55 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
My abiding memory of the early days of the Pennine Way is the (then) famous YHA warden known universally to almost every hosteller as "Jeff from Knock". His breakfasts were enormous and I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about the effort required to climb Cross Fell after one of them.

#52706 - 07/12/09 09:34 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Oldun
Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie

Janice, I remember her well. A fire breather with a heart of gold. I arrived at the Butt House late evening, totally bedraggled and on my last legs. She took all my gear and sat me down with a large beer, then brought in one of the best home cooked meals I had had in a long time.

"with a heart of gold" - that reminds me of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrytTQCbomk - no, they don't make songs like that anymore.

#52707 - 07/12/09 09:35 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

My abiding memory of the early days of the Pennine Way is the (then) famous YHA warden known universally to almost every hosteller as "Jeff from Knock". His breakfasts were enormous and I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about the effort required to climb Cross Fell after one of them.

Which Youth Hostel was that ?

#52708 - 07/12/09 10:31 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Knock (No its the name of the Youth Hostel, not an instruction!) Closed some years ago

#52710 - 08/12/09 05:50 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Knock (No its the name of the Youth Hostel, not an instruction!) Closed some years ago

I see now, Knock Youth Hostel which was open from 1964 to 1974 and I knew nothing of having joined the YHA in 1973.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917