The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52711 - 08/12/09 07:05 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Knock (No its the name of the Youth Hostel, not an instruction!) Closed some years ago

I see now, Knock Youth Hostel which was open from 1964 to 1974 and I knew nothing of having joined the YHA in 1973.

It was open in 1963 when it was known confusingly as Dufton YH, despite being at - or rather just outside - the village of Knock. I walked past it a few years ago - old military buildings on the road to the radar station on Gt Dun Fell.
I stayed there one cold August night with my 2 fellow hikers northbound on the Pennine Way. We'd walked from Middleton in Teesdale in wonderful weather, and as we reached High Cup Nick the first wraiths of mist began forming round our heads. We had no map for the Eden Valley, nor indeed for Cross Fell next day, so we were on guesswork by the time we got down the hill. We phoned the warden at Knock and said we were on the way but might be a little late for dinner. As it happened we were the only people staying there, so he held the meal back for us.
That night the warden played cards with us to the frustration of his girlfriend who showed every sign of wanting to get her hands on his body. We, of course, were shocked: granted, it was the year of Christine Keeler, but for us sex had yet to be invented. As Philip Larkin later said, it was indeed invented that very year. Good thing too!

#52712 - 08/12/09 07:39 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
For reasons which I have never quite fathomed the swinging sixties somehow bypassed me too. Trainspotting (then) appeared far more appealing! Going to see an A4 or a night at "The Cat's Whiskers" ...... there was no choice in my eyes (then).

#52715 - 08/12/09 11:19 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

For reasons which I have never quite fathomed the swinging sixties somehow bypassed me too.

Surely you can fathom it out, slowcoach! It's in your name, isn't it?
Not that it matters when you look back - you eventually finished the PW, didn't you, so I guess you eventually got to taste the fruits of passion too.

I think I can just about remember such moments myself!!

#52717 - 08/12/09 01:56 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Alas and alack, I fear you speak the truth. The only real excitement that I recall during the sixties was when a small group of girls asked me to help them in through the rear window of Queens, the old Ambleside Youth Hostel after arriving back after the doors had been locked. In order to effect easier entry they tucked their skirts (remember it was 60s) into their pants. The mountains somehow lost their appeal the next day .... however, 2 days later ......

"Fruits of passion" .... Yes ... I still like bilberries?

#52718 - 08/12/09 02:39 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

Oh Happy days!
Similar experiences at Longthwaite about 1964!
Wasn't young love wonderful?
It's all making a happy man feel very old.
I'll now retire from this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

#52721 - 08/12/09 08:48 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Stottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Stottie

That night the warden played cards with us to the frustration of his girlfriend who showed every sign of wanting to get her hands on his body. We, of course, were shocked: granted, it was the year of Christine Keeler, but for us sex had yet to be invented. As Philip Larkin later said, it was indeed invented that very year. Good thing too!

I remember Strip Jack Naked being a popular card game in the 'sixties and I dare say that, older and wiser now, you wish you had suggested such a session to the girlfriend having persuaded the warden he would be better off with Patience or Solitaire.

#52722 - 08/12/09 08:50 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
For reasons which I have never quite fathomed the swinging sixties somehow bypassed me too. Trainspotting (then) appeared far more appealing! Going to see an A4 or a night at "The Cat's Whiskers" ...... there was no choice in my eyes (then).

Yes, those were the days, when an A4 was a magnificent steam locomotive rather than just a sheet of paper.

#52726 - 08/12/09 09:54 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...

Yes, those were the days, when an A4 was a magnificent steam locomotive rather than just a sheet of paper.

Ah yes. Paper. The good old days. You don't see much of it these days. Wonder where it's all gone? It may have a resurgence one day,and we'll laugh.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52727 - 08/12/09 09:59 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: Oldun
Unless you go around broadcasting it nobody will know and quite honestly nobody gives a tinkers curse what you do.

Can I say in my defence...I don't curse.

It's the 21st Century. Be yourself.
Might even see you up there, and I for one won't care,as long as your enjoying life.
Thats what matters.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52732 - 08/12/09 10:22 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
ruth020989 Offline

The good old days.....what a load of sh*te that was.....rip leonard sachs

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917