The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52733 - 08/12/09 10:25 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: ruth020989
The good old days.....what a load of sh*te that was.....rip leonard sachs

Lens Dead?
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52739 - 09/12/09 08:34 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
ruth020989 Offline

yep

lens dead baby....lens dead

#52740 - 09/12/09 08:44 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
I cannot remember a time that was good in the old days.

Our memories gloss over the bad bits and only remember the good.

How far does one go back?

In Britain the masses went from starvation, poverty, exploitation and disease, into dying in their thousands in two world wars for King/Queen and Country. In recent history Britain has passed from one calamitous government to the next, stumbling from one over taxed, unemployed, and small war situation to the next, with a national boom and bust every 4 years.

What may have been good in "The Good Old Days" was that we helped and talked to our neighbours and our front doors were never locked. People sat on the street door steps talking to one another, watching the kids playing ball games in traffic less streets because television and government by media had not been invented.

What has our society progressed to now?

Over taxed people living longer in a lonely society that is afraid to leave their doors and windows unbarred in case someone breaks in to steal or rape. We do not acknowledge the existence of our neighbours because they either do not speak the same language, or have the same culture, or they might report us to the "authorities" for intrusion or sexual harassment.

What do we have to look forward to in Europe?

A two class society comprising politicians and the masses. Chemically altered food and selected babies grown in test tubes, as the increased temperature of the planet is finding it more and more difficult to support life, or feed the overcrowded population on a land mass that is shrinking owing to rising flood waters.

15 minutes listening to Sky News can really improve your daily happiness and life expectations.

Oh. Bring back the "Bad Old Days"!

#52743 - 09/12/09 11:42 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
For reasons which I have never quite fathomed the swinging sixties somehow bypassed me too. Trainspotting (then) appeared far more appealing! Going to see an A4 or a night at "The Cat's Whiskers" ...... there was no choice in my eyes (then).

Yes, those were the days, when an A4 was a magnificent steam locomotive rather than just a sheet of paper.

Ah yes. Paper. The good old days. You don't see much of it these days. Wonder where it's all gone? It may have a resurgence one day,and we'll laugh.

If it does have a resurgence let's hope it's the proper foolscap not this modern A4 nonsence.

#52746 - 09/12/09 12:10 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: ruth020989
The good old days.....what a load of sh*te that was.....rip leonard sachs

I knew Victorian times were grim, but they can't really have been this bad ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rsnsHLJNG0

#52749 - 09/12/09 02:08 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england

they may have been bad days, but they didnot have to use bad language to get a laugh
we did not lock our doors ( we could not afford a lock) and we had nothing worth pinching

#52750 - 09/12/09 03:03 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: tim smith]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Ah .... nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

#52751 - 09/12/09 03:08 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
How many people remember the pre Gortex days? Plastic pacamacs or cycling/walking capes until Peter Storm produced their first totally ineffective cagoule. Boots? It was Famous Army stores or nowhere. Most of us over a cetain age grew up walking on blisters. Keeping warm? Forget it in winter (which is why the walking season was from Easter to the end of September for most people). Oh ... the hours I spent looking in Fishers window wishing that I could afford decent gear. You youngsters don't know you're born!

#52754 - 09/12/09 06:58 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland

#52757 - 09/12/09 07:38 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Yeah those cycling capes covered the rucsac too but were a bit tricky in windy conditions. Pre Goretex I used a Comando heavy cotton smock which I painted with canvass tent waterproofer. When it was really wet I wore a double skin cotton casual jacket underneath and no water or melted snow ever got through. Paramo use a similar system now.
As for boots, again Commando soled ones with metal cleats for climbing, and hawser laid nylon ropes which didnt stretch. Motorcycle goggles worn during blizzards and Sheepskin gloves. Jeans were usually worn as there wasnt much else available in the way of walking trousers and two pair were worn during Winter. That was in the days when Winters were Winters and we always had plenty of snow and frosts.
The hills had a more remote feel about them as there were very few footpaths and those that walked them were a special dedicated breed. Only when the National Trust took over vast areas of 'Water Board' land did the coutryside access really begin to open up and lead the way to the 'Right to Roam' that we enjoy today.
Dave.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917