The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52683 - 06/12/09 10:24 AM sept 2010 walking and accommodation
wildhag Offline

In the planning stage for sept 2010 and looking at booking all accommodation in advance. From posts I've seen so far this seems to be the best thing to do. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with accommodation being particularly gay friendly or particularly gay unfriendly. Have heard about some less than pleasant experiences travelling as a female couple when using b&b accommodation.

#52684 - 06/12/09 04:58 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: wildhag]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
My Friend. Why make such a song and dance over your situation. Unless you go around broadcasting it nobody will know and quite honestly nobody gives a tinkers curse what you do. Accommodation being in such short supply along the trail it is quite common for people of the same sex to have to share the same room. Indeed, B&B owners during September will probably thank you for offering to share. It means that they can sell another room to another couple and make more money. Get used to it and just get on with your booking without making a fuss.

#52685 - 06/12/09 05:31 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
plodder Offline

Loc: England
Some people are friendly, some are not. It makes little difference to such folk who you are. Thatís life.

#52686 - 06/12/09 07:33 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: wildhag]
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted By: wildhag
In the planning stage for sept 2010 and looking at booking all accommodation in advance. From posts I've seen so far this seems to be the best thing to do. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with accommodation being particularly gay friendly or particularly gay unfriendly. Have heard about some less than pleasant experiences travelling as a female couple when using b&b accommodation.

What??? why on earth would anyone ask this question? Some of my best friends are gay and I cannot imagine any of them asking such a question. Get on with your life as you wish.

On a number of occasions during our c2c crossing two of us not only shared a room we had to share a bed because of a shortage of available accommodation. It was the same during the Hadrian's Wall walk, a few times all four of us shared a room with two to a bed... We are not gay... mind you by the time we got to the end of the walks we were very happy!!

#52688 - 07/12/09 07:18 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: HB]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
This, in fairness to Wildhag, is not an unreasonable question bearing in mind the entrenched attitudes that can still be found in some moorland and dales villages. A tearoom was opened this Easter in a small village quite close to (but not easily accessible from) the C to C run by a couple of gay chaps. The village reaction was deplorable (in my opinion). Visitors were told quite openly to avoid the place (and why). The chaps were shunned in the local shop and certainly made fun of in the pub. They closed and moved out in early September. It is possible to ride out these problems in a large settlement but not where you live in an enclosed environment. This is indicative of the culture that still remains in areas where certain local noteworthies believe that "standards must be maintained."

There was also problems in a tourist hotspot last year when two gay ladies tried to take over an established guest house in the southern Lakes. Again, local hostility rendered this impossible.

I have not heard though of any problems encountered on the main national trails and I sure that any would have been posted on the web sites pretty quickly. Also, the National Trails websites would quickly deleted any of their possible accommodation addresses if discrimination was reported. So ... go ahead Wildhag, in confidence. If still worried, there is always hostels.

#52689 - 07/12/09 07:57 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
wildhag Offline

thank you slowcoach for taking my question seriously. i certainly live my life the way I want to but sadly have been subject to, if not discriminatory behaviour, then made to feel uncomfortable in certain situations. thank you too to all other replies. it would appear i have nothing to worry about, other than being ridiculed for my enquiry.

#52690 - 07/12/09 08:54 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: wildhag]
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Slowcoach, I know what you are saying and agree with you. But if you are walking and using B&B's, there is no need for anyone to know what your sexuality is. It is such a question that brings attention to one and in turn bring out predudice.

So long as it is not thrust into the faces of those around, then no one need be involved. Years ago when I was a young lass my boyfriend kissed me (not the tongue bit!) while we were in a pub, and we were kicked out of the pub!
It's a bit like religion as far as discussions are concerned. My parents would not allow politics, regligion or sexuality discussed in their house because there would always be disagreement and upset with one or the other.

Go wildhag, enjoy your walk and the wonderful experiences that you will get on such a walk, but it may be prudent not to discuss your sexuality, it's no one's business but yours. Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.

#52691 - 07/12/09 10:43 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: HB]
RichardJ Offline

Loc: Warrington, UK
With the price of some of the accommodation, it's not at all uncommon for same sex "pairings" to share a room. I did it!

I think the assumption of all proprietors will be that you are looking after the budget.

#52692 - 07/12/09 01:52 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: RichardJ]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
I don't think you will have any problems Wildhag. As mentioned earlier, it is the money side I think B&B's are more interested in, and you can get grotty proprietors regardless.

Enjoy your walk.

#52693 - 07/12/09 02:27 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Oldun Offline

Yes Janice. Most of the owners are very pleasant, but at the end of the season some become quite unpleasant, regardless of whether you come from Mars or Venus. Trying to get a smile from them is like try to crack a walnut between your knees.

#52694 - 07/12/09 03:11 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
ruth020989 Offline

it's a fair question for wildhag to raise ; even though for most it might appear unnecessary. we are not as homogenous as sometimes imagined ; we're an island of different tribes all with slightly different perspectives on issues...and long may that continue.

where you live in the country and your age is likely to have some influence on your attitude to homosexuality ( for a whole host of reasons ) ; and more so open homosexuality.

that said i'd be amazed if you experienced any open hostility from b&b proprietors on the c2c.

just remember......there's nowt so queer as folk.....they'll have seen all sorts over the years ...... a couple of girls out and about probably want raise as much as an eyebrow.

#52697 - 07/12/09 04:58 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Agreed Oldun. I do remember being frightened of the lady who ran the B&B at Butt House in Keld. She was quite regimental and thought nothing of being sharp with you if you didn't conform. However, when you got to know her she was rather sweet.

#52700 - 07/12/09 05:27 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
This, in fairness to Wildhag, is not an unreasonable question bearing in mind the entrenched attitudes that can still be found in some moorland and dales villages. A tearoom was opened this Easter in a small village quite close to (but not easily accessible from) the C to C run by a couple of gay chaps. The village reaction was deplorable (in my opinion). Visitors were told quite openly to avoid the place (and why). The chaps were shunned in the local shop and certainly made fun of in the pub. They closed and moved out in early September. It is possible to ride out these problems in a large settlement but not where you live in an enclosed environment. This is indicative of the culture that still remains in areas where certain local noteworthies believe that "standards must be maintained."

There was also problems in a tourist hotspot last year when two gay ladies tried to take over an established guest house in the southern Lakes. Again, local hostility rendered this impossible.

Much of the attraction of parts of rural Britain is that little has changed for many decades but the downside of this is that in some areas attitudes are as if we were still living before the Sexual Offences Act was passed in 1968.
Businesses though will be more interested in the contents of your wallet than what your sexual orientation is.

#52702 - 07/12/09 08:23 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
happywalker Offline

Loc: england
Dear Wildhag,
When staying in Roshtwaite, I urge you to splash out and stay at Hazel Bank hotel. it is total heaven on earth, superb food,lovely rooms, views which you will treasure forever, and it is owned and run by a gay couple. One lad is the chef and the other front of house. Really welcoming, lovely people Theyve got a nice dog too. Have fun - you will! evryone you meet on the C2C is a bit querky, and in my experience, open minded. Love, Joy.

#52703 - 07/12/09 08:23 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Oldun Offline

Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie
Agreed Oldun. I do remember being frightened of the lady who ran the B&B at Butt House in Keld. She was quite regimental and thought nothing of being sharp with you if you didn't conform. However, when you got to know her she was rather sweet.

Janice, I remember her well. A fire breather with a heart of gold. I arrived at the Butt House late evening, totally bedraggled and on my last legs. She took all my gear and sat me down with a large beer, then brought in one of the best home cooked meals I had had in a long time.

#52705 - 07/12/09 08:55 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

My abiding memory of the early days of the Pennine Way is the (then) famous YHA warden known universally to almost every hosteller as "Jeff from Knock". His breakfasts were enormous and I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about the effort required to climb Cross Fell after one of them.

#52706 - 07/12/09 09:34 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Oldun
Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie

Janice, I remember her well. A fire breather with a heart of gold. I arrived at the Butt House late evening, totally bedraggled and on my last legs. She took all my gear and sat me down with a large beer, then brought in one of the best home cooked meals I had had in a long time.

"with a heart of gold" - that reminds me of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrytTQCbomk - no, they don't make songs like that anymore.

#52707 - 07/12/09 09:35 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

My abiding memory of the early days of the Pennine Way is the (then) famous YHA warden known universally to almost every hosteller as "Jeff from Knock". His breakfasts were enormous and I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about the effort required to climb Cross Fell after one of them.

Which Youth Hostel was that ?

#52708 - 07/12/09 10:31 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
slowcoach Offline

Knock (No its the name of the Youth Hostel, not an instruction!) Closed some years ago

#52710 - 08/12/09 05:50 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Knock (No its the name of the Youth Hostel, not an instruction!) Closed some years ago

I see now, Knock Youth Hostel which was open from 1964 to 1974 and I knew nothing of having joined the YHA in 1973.

#52711 - 08/12/09 07:05 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard

I see now, Knock Youth Hostel which was open from 1964 to 1974 and I knew nothing of having joined the YHA in 1973.

It was open in 1963 when it was known confusingly as Dufton YH, despite being at - or rather just outside - the village of Knock. I walked past it a few years ago - old military buildings on the road to the radar station on Gt Dun Fell.
I stayed there one cold August night with my 2 fellow hikers northbound on the Pennine Way. We'd walked from Middleton in Teesdale in wonderful weather, and as we reached High Cup Nick the first wraiths of mist began forming round our heads. We had no map for the Eden Valley, nor indeed for Cross Fell next day, so we were on guesswork by the time we got down the hill. We phoned the warden at Knock and said we were on the way but might be a little late for dinner. As it happened we were the only people staying there, so he held the meal back for us.
That night the warden played cards with us to the frustration of his girlfriend who showed every sign of wanting to get her hands on his body. We, of course, were shocked: granted, it was the year of Christine Keeler, but for us sex had yet to be invented. As Philip Larkin later said, it was indeed invented that very year. Good thing too!

#52712 - 08/12/09 07:39 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

For reasons which I have never quite fathomed the swinging sixties somehow bypassed me too. Trainspotting (then) appeared far more appealing! Going to see an A4 or a night at "The Cat's Whiskers" ...... there was no choice in my eyes (then).

#52715 - 08/12/09 11:19 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

For reasons which I have never quite fathomed the swinging sixties somehow bypassed me too.

Surely you can fathom it out, slowcoach! It's in your name, isn't it?
Not that it matters when you look back - you eventually finished the PW, didn't you, so I guess you eventually got to taste the fruits of passion too.

I think I can just about remember such moments myself!!

#52717 - 08/12/09 01:56 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

Alas and alack, I fear you speak the truth. The only real excitement that I recall during the sixties was when a small group of girls asked me to help them in through the rear window of Queens, the old Ambleside Youth Hostel after arriving back after the doors had been locked. In order to effect easier entry they tucked their skirts (remember it was 60s) into their pants. The mountains somehow lost their appeal the next day .... however, 2 days later ......

"Fruits of passion" .... Yes ... I still like bilberries?

#52718 - 08/12/09 02:39 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

Oh Happy days!
Similar experiences at Longthwaite about 1964!
Wasn't young love wonderful?
It's all making a happy man feel very old.
I'll now retire from this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

#52721 - 08/12/09 08:48 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Stottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Stottie

That night the warden played cards with us to the frustration of his girlfriend who showed every sign of wanting to get her hands on his body. We, of course, were shocked: granted, it was the year of Christine Keeler, but for us sex had yet to be invented. As Philip Larkin later said, it was indeed invented that very year. Good thing too!

I remember Strip Jack Naked being a popular card game in the 'sixties and I dare say that, older and wiser now, you wish you had suggested such a session to the girlfriend having persuaded the warden he would be better off with Patience or Solitaire.

#52722 - 08/12/09 08:50 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

For reasons which I have never quite fathomed the swinging sixties somehow bypassed me too. Trainspotting (then) appeared far more appealing! Going to see an A4 or a night at "The Cat's Whiskers" ...... there was no choice in my eyes (then).

Yes, those were the days, when an A4 was a magnificent steam locomotive rather than just a sheet of paper.

#52726 - 08/12/09 09:54 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...

Yes, those were the days, when an A4 was a magnificent steam locomotive rather than just a sheet of paper.

Ah yes. Paper. The good old days. You don't see much of it these days. Wonder where it's all gone? It may have a resurgence one day,and we'll laugh.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52727 - 08/12/09 09:59 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Unless you go around broadcasting it nobody will know and quite honestly nobody gives a tinkers curse what you do.

Can I say in my defence...I don't curse.

It's the 21st Century. Be yourself.
Might even see you up there, and I for one won't care,as long as your enjoying life.
Thats what matters.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52732 - 08/12/09 10:22 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
ruth020989 Offline

The good old days.....what a load of sh*te that was.....rip leonard sachs

#52733 - 08/12/09 10:25 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Originally Posted By: ruth020989

Lens Dead?
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52739 - 09/12/09 08:34 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
ruth020989 Offline

yep

lens dead baby....lens dead

#52740 - 09/12/09 08:44 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Oldun Offline

I cannot remember a time that was good in the old days.

Our memories gloss over the bad bits and only remember the good.

How far does one go back?

In Britain the masses went from starvation, poverty, exploitation and disease, into dying in their thousands in two world wars for King/Queen and Country. In recent history Britain has passed from one calamitous government to the next, stumbling from one over taxed, unemployed, and small war situation to the next, with a national boom and bust every 4 years.

What may have been good in "The Good Old Days" was that we helped and talked to our neighbours and our front doors were never locked. People sat on the street door steps talking to one another, watching the kids playing ball games in traffic less streets because television and government by media had not been invented.

What has our society progressed to now?

Over taxed people living longer in a lonely society that is afraid to leave their doors and windows unbarred in case someone breaks in to steal or rape. We do not acknowledge the existence of our neighbours because they either do not speak the same language, or have the same culture, or they might report us to the "authorities" for intrusion or sexual harassment.

What do we have to look forward to in Europe?

A two class society comprising politicians and the masses. Chemically altered food and selected babies grown in test tubes, as the increased temperature of the planet is finding it more and more difficult to support life, or feed the overcrowded population on a land mass that is shrinking owing to rising flood waters.

15 minutes listening to Sky News can really improve your daily happiness and life expectations.

Oh. Bring back the "Bad Old Days"!

#52743 - 09/12/09 11:42 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker

Ah yes. Paper. The good old days. You don't see much of it these days. Wonder where it's all gone? It may have a resurgence one day,and we'll laugh.

If it does have a resurgence let's hope it's the proper foolscap not this modern A4 nonsence.

#52746 - 09/12/09 12:10 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
Lounge Lizard Offline

I knew Victorian times were grim, but they can't really have been this bad ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rsnsHLJNG0

#52749 - 09/12/09 02:08 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england

they may have been bad days, but they didnot have to use bad language to get a laugh
we did not lock our doors ( we could not afford a lock) and we had nothing worth pinching

#52750 - 09/12/09 03:03 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: tim smith]
slowcoach Offline

Ah .... nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

#52751 - 09/12/09 03:08 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

How many people remember the pre Gortex days? Plastic pacamacs or cycling/walking capes until Peter Storm produced their first totally ineffective cagoule. Boots? It was Famous Army stores or nowhere. Most of us over a cetain age grew up walking on blisters. Keeping warm? Forget it in winter (which is why the walking season was from Easter to the end of September for most people). Oh ... the hours I spent looking in Fishers window wishing that I could afford decent gear. You youngsters don't know you're born!

#52754 - 09/12/09 06:58 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

#52757 - 09/12/09 07:38 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Yeah those cycling capes covered the rucsac too but were a bit tricky in windy conditions. Pre Goretex I used a Comando heavy cotton smock which I painted with canvass tent waterproofer. When it was really wet I wore a double skin cotton casual jacket underneath and no water or melted snow ever got through. Paramo use a similar system now.
As for boots, again Commando soled ones with metal cleats for climbing, and hawser laid nylon ropes which didnt stretch. Motorcycle goggles worn during blizzards and Sheepskin gloves. Jeans were usually worn as there wasnt much else available in the way of walking trousers and two pair were worn during Winter. That was in the days when Winters were Winters and we always had plenty of snow and frosts.
The hills had a more remote feel about them as there were very few footpaths and those that walked them were a special dedicated breed. Only when the National Trust took over vast areas of 'Water Board' land did the coutryside access really begin to open up and lead the way to the 'Right to Roam' that we enjoy today.
Dave.

#52762 - 09/12/09 10:22 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Hi Dave, yeah, jeans were horrendous and wicked up water even from long wet grass which then chilled the legs, and took forever to dry... a potential killer in the worst conditions - but wool trousers were probably worse being coarse and itchy!! It's interesting that 'ventile' is still popular - being a tightly woven cotton, breathable and quite waterproof in all but the worst conditions

#52764 - 10/12/09 02:54 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

yep

lens dead baby....lens dead
Best not tell him then. Just in case he wakes up.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52767 - 10/12/09 08:36 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Got it! .....It's an anagram

Deal ends.

#52770 - 10/12/09 08:45 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Oldun]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Yes, a good one, and one coincidently I noticed a few days ago.
Changing the subject I was also reminded of this recently ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWb8nrULH1s

#52789 - 11/12/09 10:28 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
ruth020989 Offline

Deal ends.

dear mister tarantino,

i must apologise that sherpa van forum contributors have failed to pick up on the allusion to one of your best lines - butch to girl.... 'zeds dead baby...zeds dead ' - from one of your best films - pulp fiction.

they don't get out much.

ruth ( anagram of nothing )

#52790 - 11/12/09 11:09 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Deal ends.

dear mister tarantino,

i must apologise that sherpa van forum contributors have failed to pick up on the allusion to one of your best lines - butch to girl.... 'zeds dead baby...zeds dead ' - from one of your best films - pulp fiction.

they don't get out much.

ruth ( anagram of nothing )

Ruth. You need to change that to
"AT ALL"
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52796 - 12/12/09 09:07 AM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Aha Ruth .... You can't fool me. I see that your avatar is actually an anagram of RUTH090289. You see how perceptive I really am!

#52798 - 12/12/09 02:06 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Aha Ruth .... You can't fool me. I see that your avatar is actually an anagram of RUTH090289. You see how perceptive I really am!

This is why we call you "CAPTAIN PERCEPTIVE" when you are not looking
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52800 - 12/12/09 02:32 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

The apogee of approval!

#52805 - 12/12/09 04:27 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
ruth020989 Offline

you are a very wise man 'slowcoach' ; from this day forward you will be known on this forum as 'odin' who - as the tricky trucker would no doubt inform you - was a norse god ; one of great wisdom albeit acquired through the experience of hard knocks( probably therefore also a yorkshire god....ee 'ad it tough when ee were a lad ). there is a small cross in remembrance of him a few hundred metres from the lion inn at blakey ; although it can be a little hard to locate.

also associated with yockin and bicce ( remember them ) in norse mythology.

#52809 - 12/12/09 05:00 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

you are a very wise man 'slowcoach' ; from this day forward you will be known on this forum as 'odin' who - as the tricky trucker would no doubt inform you - was a norse god ; one of great wisdom albeit acquired through the experience of hard knocks( probably therefore also a yorkshire god....ee 'ad it tough when ee were a lad ). there is a small cross in remembrance of him a few hundred metres from the lion inn at blakey ; although it can be a little hard to locate.

also associated with yockin and bicce ( remember them ) in norse mythology.

Odin= to ode. as in " no use juss standin there old lad, if ya doin nowt you can be "odin" this light here while a change me booits"

Norse mythologoy my foot.Tsk tsk
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52811 - 12/12/09 05:08 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
slowcoach Offline

I remember the story now .... Odin, otherwise known as Fat Betty. Nickname derived from his propensity to devour Yorkshire Pudding? It was, in fact, he who declared that it should be a first course and not eaten with the main meal. Hence "Odin the Wise"

www.yorkshirepudding.co.uk/odinsglow

#52814 - 12/12/09 05:50 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: slowcoach]
ruth020989 Offline

doubting odins the pair of you.

www.odinsglow.co.uk

rather famous chappie in certain parts.

#52815 - 12/12/09 05:53 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
ruth020989 Offline

your right ; maybe 'slowcoach' is a better fit than 'odin'

#52817 - 12/12/09 07:36 PM Re: sept 2010 walking and accommodation [Re: ruth020989]
slowcoach Offline

Glowcoach?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917