The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52830 - 13/12/09 03:42 PM Wild camping the Dales Way ???
dave.rst Offline

Anyone know if this is a viable proposition. I just don't want to do the whole B&B thing. Don't mind campsites if they're not too far off route. Any help or ideas would be great. I plan to walk the way in April btw smile

#52832 - 13/12/09 05:17 PM Re: Wild camping the Dales Way ??? [Re: dave.rst]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
See the following which lists youth hostels, camping, B&Bs:-

http://www.dalesway.org.uk/news.cfm
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#52834 - 13/12/09 06:00 PM Re: Wild camping the Dales Way ??? [Re: Harland]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I think that the main problem with wild camping in the Dales is that once you hit Surrender Bridge (travelling west to east)the route is no longer wild! It is very pastoral until you reach the moors and rough camping would, in general, mean a detour. However, YHA and BandB make a good alternative ... and you get to meet and have time to chat to (some) great people

#52835 - 13/12/09 06:01 PM Re: Wild camping the Dales Way ??? [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Sorry ... I misread your post. Forget it!

#53000 - 31/12/09 11:35 AM Re: Wild camping the Dales Way ??? [Re: dave.rst]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Originally Posted By: dave.rst
Anyone know if this is a viable proposition. I just don't want to do the whole B&B thing. Don't mind campsites if they're not too far off route. Any help or ideas would be great. I plan to walk the way in April btw smile

There isn't a problem with camping on the Dales Way, but wild camping may be difficult in parts. I camped as follows:

I used the main campsite by the river in Appletreewick - attached to a farm - can't remember it being expensive but it gets very busy at bank holiday weekends - so avoid at that time. Plus when I got there - there had been a lot of rain and so was something of a quagmire. There might be spots around there where you could wild camp by the river - but I'd speculate that you'd have to be there late and leave early. The good thing about camping at the farm was that it was possible to .a. use the shower and .b. go to the pub for an evening meal.

I camped above Redmire Farm at Buckden - who I rang up beforehand and asked if I could camp and they were fine with it. A really beautiful place - perched up on a ledge overlooking the valley - with lovely stream running down for washing etc. - shortish walk over to Buckden for the pub.

I met someone later on who had camped at Beckermonds - although they said someone had told them they couldn't ... but they did. Camping there would have cut down on the distance the next day - the next day being the toughest day's walk on the Dales Way due to a lot of road walking and bogs.

Farm campsite at Cowgill - over the road from the pub. Stream for washing in - I seem to remember the campsite being overpriced for what it was, but nonetheless fine.

The next day I had a total deluge and so I confess I opted for a B&B just outside Sedbergh - camping options may be limited around Sedbergh - but I remember the next day a really beautiful camping spot alongside the Lune, where it bends east near Thwaite, before you get to the Crook O Lune Bridge - probably arriving late and leaving early spot though.

Burneside Hall Farm does camping - not expensive - pretty basic - but fine enough.

So ... I think you can find camping spots if you want to - wild camping options might be limited though, but anything's possible if you arrive late and leave early.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917