The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52875 - 17/12/09 11:20 AM Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier
shazam24 Offline

Loc: Lancashire
Hello to all,

I would like to get advice from people that have done the coast to coast walk with a dog in tow. The walk will be the summer in aid of Help for Hero's. My wife and I are planning to camp some night and stay in B&B's Hostel on others. I have emailed the YHA and they have told me that only guide dogs are allowed. My question is has anyone done this walk in a similar way with a dog?
I am also interested to hear what people's opinions of getting your rucksacks dropped off at certain points is. A small part of me thinks that it kind of defeats the object. Another part of me thinks that it may make it more enjoyable.

thanks
Phil, Helen and Lucy the dog

#52876 - 17/12/09 11:32 AM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: shazam24]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Whilst I can't respond about your dog as far as carrying or not carrying all your belongings I think the answer is whatever will make you enjoy the walk more. There is nothing wrong with having it transported and some people couldn't do the walk without this service. I always carry mine as I enjoy the physical side of the walk as well as the scenery etc, however currently I am fit enough to do so. When I am not then I would certainly use a carrier service but to be honest, apart from when I am camping, there isn't much I would want transported only one change of clothing for the evening, spare underwear/socks and my washing gear. I would still need to carry waterproofs, first aid stuff, food, drink, extra clothing if too cold, survival bag, camera, phone, maps, compass etc.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019 - 2020 NOTHING!.

#52877 - 17/12/09 01:35 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Harland]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Hi,

I did the C2C with 2 dogs in tow and carried my own pack. However, I did send the dog's food on ahead as I stayed in B&B's and couldn't carry that aswell.

I didn't encounter any problems and both my dogs thoroughly enjoyed the walk. I was lucky because Keld YH allowed me to leave the dogs in the cycle barn. They made a lovely little bed with straw bales, and kept it locked, so they would be safe. I obviously had a key. There was no other accommodation open at the time as it was end of the season and I simply rang them and asked if they knew anywhere. The guy said there wasn't and the YHA rule was no dogs. However, rules can be broken and he said if I was happy with the barn for them, then they could stay. They had a very yummy breakfast of sausage and bacon leftovers.
We are talking many years ago though.

Make sure your dog is used to walking distances on a regular basis and you will enjoy.

#52878 - 17/12/09 01:38 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Oh, forgot to say that I agree with Harland. If you want to have your pack transported along the route, then I don't think there is any stigma against that. The usual idea is to enjoy the walk and to me that means not having to carry a big pack.

When I did it I didn't know about the services which are offered now.

#52880 - 17/12/09 03:59 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Just for info and not a joke.

On this years C2C I came across a guy whose dog was suffering from badly worn paws; quite red in places. He wanted to know where he could find dog shoes. The dog wanted to keep up with his owner, but was limping badly.

Guess if you have a town dog and take it on a multi day trek you need to know their capabilities as well.

#52881 - 17/12/09 08:46 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Oldun]
Morpeth_Exile Offline

Loc: Warwickshire
When walking it in 2005 I kept bumping into and walking with a group with Bea the Beagle. They had a good list of Dog Friendly B&Bs so they do exist but they did struggle at times with having to take detours around fields to avoid livestock, although it was May and the lambing season.
Regarding the bag transporting, in my view it is brilliant. My back will only carry the day bag of bait, flask and emergency stuff and for a fiver a day it was good to know the rucksack, with clean clothes, was at the other end. When I was younger I may have had the urge to be fully self-sufficient (I can understand the view) but I now want to enjoy as much of the walking as possible. A woman at Keld Youth Hostel took it to a different level, however, with a huge suitcase and pink, fluffy slippers in order to "retain a feminine touch". Horses \ courses etc but whatever makes you enjoy a great walk the most

#52882 - 17/12/09 08:50 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
A major problem this year on open moorland has been the number of dogs bitten by adders. The reaction of most people when warned about this is that you are either trying to deter them from walking with a dog, or, that it "won't happen to me".

The problem occurs most often on sunny days when the adders are warming themselves in the sunshine ... generally on bare patches within the heather. Dogs close to their owners are seldom bitten as the adders hear them approaching, but once allowed to roam freely in the heather the dogs inquisitiveness often is their downfall.

In relationship to the number of dogs on the moors (which is where incidences are generally confined to) the number bitten is tiny, but, whereas ten years ago it was only rarely heard of many vets are now making quite a healthy living out of it. Callout charges range from 200 upwards depending on the area.

Bites are not fatal on a healthy dog, it is more the inconvenience of dealing with the outcome that is irritating

It perhaps is something to be more aware of than afraid of and it certainly wouldn't stop me taking one out.

#52884 - 17/12/09 11:03 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
I thought adders were confined to the south,and I have only ever seen one,and that was due to a call of nature. It took one look at me and slept on.Nothing to prove,I suppose.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52891 - 18/12/09 12:00 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

During the most recent major foot and mouth epidemic many of the upland areas were closed to the public throughout the major breeding season. This allowed birds and mammals to breed unaffected by human disturbance. The outcome was an explosion in survival rates amongst plovers, merlins, adders etc etc. This still has implications today, especially as regards adders which have been around this year in unprecedented numbers. Humans rarely see them as they hear us coming and slither away into the safety of the undergrowth. Dogs however (tend) to move a lot quicker and quieter and, hearing something in the undergrowth, move towards the sound much quicker than the adder can retreat. Finding the adder they do what dogs do and sniff it. The adder, sensing danger then strikes at the dogs face. This has been a record year for such occurrences. I carry the contact number of local vets when at work.

#52895 - 18/12/09 01:35 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
RichardJ Offline

Loc: Warrington, UK
Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
I thought adders were confined to the south,and I have only ever seen one,and that was due to a call of nature. It took one look at me and slept on.Nothing to prove,I suppose.

On my last crossing (in May) there was an adder lying slap bang in the middle of the path near Trough House on the NY Moors. It didn't bite my dog!

Also, again not joking, sore paws can be a problem and you can buy "paw wax" to rub on the pads.

#52897 - 18/12/09 01:59 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: RichardJ]
Janice & Rottie Offline

You can get adders up here in South Cumbria too. I was also aware of them in Northumberland.

#52899 - 18/12/09 06:53 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Oldun]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Oldun
Just for info and not a joke.

On this years C2C I came across a guy whose dog was suffering from badly worn paws; quite red in places.

Not on the C2C but whilst doing the Offa's Dyke Path. We met aguy on the second day and ended up walking most of the rest of theway with him and his Border Collie. When we met up with him in the morning near Trevor his dog was limping badly from a perforated pad. He bandaged it best he could but the dog was only using one of its hind legs. After several miles it sat down exhausted and refused to budge. He left us and headed off to Llangollen to find a vet. He caught up with us a couple of days later, his dog now fully recovered after an antibiotic shot and painkillers. maybe adding a few doggy items to your first aid kit would be agood idea?
Dave.

#52906 - 21/12/09 01:38 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Slogger]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Agreed with the First Aid Kit suggestion. I always take a doggy boot as well. The main thing though is to ensure that your dog is really used to the type of walking you are requiring it to do. I have been on may LDPs with my dogs and have never had any problems, but then we trained for them together. They have also done the Lyke Wake walk with me too. I felt shattered at the end, especially after sitting down waiting for my B&B lift, whereas my dogs were still keen to go.

#52907 - 21/12/09 03:44 PM Re: Coast to Coast with a Lakeland Terrier [Re: Janice & Rottie]
slowcoach Offline

Just a thought. If you did the walk with a team of huskies, so when you got tired they could pull you ..... would that count?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917