The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52951 - 27/12/09 08:38 PM 6 mo. on
Arial Offline

16 June 2009 -- a few hundred yards away from the Falling Foss Tea Garden, while stepping down a muddy slope, I heard a triple rip, like the tear of linen, and looked down to find my foot hanging like a flipper from my leg -- a triple ankle break, better known as a trimalleolar ankle fracture. From a soft cast to a hard cast to another hard cast and a Frankenboot, from crutches to a walker to a cane, I have spent the last 6 months in recovery from a stupid mis-step.

Physical Therapy has me on a reclining bike, not hiking the hills, but am looking for tips from someone who has been there and back, the recovery trail.

I am staying home this summer and have planned with a friend to walk the C2C again in 2014. Between now and then I am looking for a few shorter LDW's I can walk alone. The Cleveland Way appeals as folks have told me I need to visit Filey. Any suggestions?

With best wishes for a fabulous 2010.

#52953 - 27/12/09 09:22 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Arial]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
so sorry to hear of your accident
but glad to see you are going to meet it head on and get on with your walking
I cannot offer you advice as i have never been there.
all I can say when you do start a LDW take time and patience
do not be too ambitious,
allow for a short walk each day
all the Best for 2010

#52958 - 28/12/09 07:02 AM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Arial]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Ouch! Sounds painful! Like Tim, haven't been there so unfortunately can't offer any first hand advice, but good luck with the recovery. I would suspect that once an ankle has been badly damaged like that it will remain more prone to injury for a long period so I'd think some sort of ankle 'support' bandage may me needed for a while once you recommence hiking. No doubt your GP/physio can offer some good advice there.
Just curious to know what sort of footwear you were wearing at the time of the triple break.

#52959 - 28/12/09 08:07 AM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Geo]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Have you considered the Wolds Way? 80 miles approx. Starts at the end of Filey Brigg and Finishes at Hessle, outside of Hull. Not too demanding hill wise, very short climbs and easily possible to escape back by bus at several points if your ankle causes concerns.
Alternatively, how about the Tabular Hills walk (used to be called "The Link"?). This links the Cleveland Way, just north of Scarborough to Helmsley and completes the circle of the Cleveland Way. Again, not too demanding, pleasurably remote without going into the real wildernesses. Easy access to public transport at its terminal points with some access in summer during the Moorsbus timetable.

You could, of course, do the complete circuit (CW and THW) knowing that if the demands are too great it is easy to stop and leave the rest for another time.

#52964 - 28/12/09 04:30 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Have you considered the Wolds Way? 80 miles approx. Starts at the end of Filey Brigg and Finishes at Hessle, outside of Hull. Not too demanding hill wise, very short climbs and easily possible to escape back by bus at several points if your ankle causes concerns.
Alternatively, how about the Tabular Hills walk (used to be called "The Link"?). This links the Cleveland Way, just north of Scarborough to Helmsley and completes the circle of the Cleveland Way. Again, not too demanding, pleasurably remote without going into the real wildernesses. Easy access to public transport at its terminal points with some access in summer during the Moorsbus timetable.

You could, of course, do the complete circuit (CW and THW) knowing that if the demands are too great it is easy to stop and leave the rest for another time.

If you do decide on the Missing Link, do take care on the stepping stones over the streams,I think North Yorkshire County Council should do a survey on them, as nearly every crossing, the stones nearest the bank are under water.

#52965 - 28/12/09 05:30 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Geo]
Arial Offline

Geo,

I cannot put my fall down to my footwear. Always cautious of my ankles, I was wearing full coverage Zamberlain boots.

I blame the mud. As I found myself going too far away from the water through the wood, I decided to stick to water, apparently to my peril. As the mud was well trampled and 4 - 5 inches deep - each step found us sinking into the heavy mud, We decided to ascend a little above the path. Attempting to descend to the path, I had my left foot lower than my right and as I turned, I twisted as I stood in the mud, and "crh, crh, crh": fin foot.

Lessons: 1)The full ankle coverage won't always protect you from ankle twists and breaks. 2) Beware of mud.

#52967 - 28/12/09 08:33 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Arial]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Tim

Within each National Park every crossing which carries a public right of way, be it a ford, bridge or stones (other than on a county road) is subjected to an annual safety survey. They are the responsibility of the particular park itself rather than the council.

If you would you indicate which you mean I'll pass them on to be rechecked.

#52969 - 28/12/09 09:12 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

HI slowcoach
will check grid references and post later
thanks

#52970 - 28/12/09 10:31 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Tim

Within each National Park every crossing which carries a public right of way, be it a ford, bridge or stones (other than on a county road) is subjected to an annual safety survey. They are the responsibility of the particular park itself rather than the council.

If you would you indicate which you mean I'll pass them on to be rechecked.

This is what I like about this forum.
There are so many people to offer advice,and some more in positions to do something when it is required.

SC.If I was wearing it,I would take my hat off to you.
In fact hang on a tick...................There you go.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52971 - 28/12/09 10:46 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

Originally Posted By: tim smith
HI slowcoach
will check grid references and post later
thanks

the grid references for the stepping stones that were a danger last time i used them are as follows
SE 748 925 on river seven
and SE 812 983 on wheeldale beck
maybe they have been seen too by now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917