The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52972 - 29/12/09 01:27 AM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: tim smith]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Ariel, sorry you had to go through that experience. I know its traumatic, I went through a similar slip on the mud and also broke my ankle bone (south of Whitby). Only one bone broken, not three. I hobbled five miles to RHB, then bussed to Scarborough Hospital. That was in Oct 2006. In April 2007, I was fully recovered enough to walk Glyndwr's Way.

The shim they put on the break did its job but I understand any bone growth at the break will be stronger than the original bone. I started out with an orthopedic boot for my flight home, then a hard cast after the operation, crutches to get around. After three months I was walking fine. Yours is obviously a very severe break which takes longer to heal, but as you persevere it will eventually be as good as new, certainly by spring.

When you are up to it, I would suggest a riverside walk with some gentle climbs, perhaps the Dales Way from Ilkley to Buckden (which has bus service).
Good luck to you as you finish rehab.

#52975 - 29/12/09 08:03 AM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Next time you are out walking keep an eye out for a bearded bespectacled bloke with a name badge on (not Slowcoach though) carrying a litter picker. You can then drop a tenner into his undoubtedly grubby hand.

#52976 - 29/12/09 08:36 AM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: slowcoach]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Why is it that people who enjoy walking in the countryside enjoying the views drop litter? If it was a short distance from a village then I could understand that the litter louts may not be "walkers" but when you find litter miles from anywhere on a footpath then it really does amaze me. I have now taken the "hint" from an Australian girl I met who took a plastic bag with her and picked up the litter (even cigarette ends - not to smoke later!) on the way which I understand is "what they do down there".
Pennine Way 2005&2014;C2C 2006;SWCP 2007;WHW 2008;GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011;Clev.W 2012;Yorkshire W.W. 2012;Offa's Dyke 2013;Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014;Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015;LEJoG 2018;Camino 2019;2020 NOTHING!2021 Hopefully.

#52978 - 29/12/09 11:48 AM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: tim smith]
slowcoach Offline

Originally Posted By: tim smith
HI slowcoach
will check grid references and post later
thanks

the grid references for the stepping stones that were a danger last time i used them are as follows
SE 748 925 on river seven
and SE 812 983 on wheeldale beck
maybe they have been seen too by now

Hi Tim
Most of the National Parks have what are called "promoted routes". These are self created routes which, although not having National trail status are maintained to a high level as regards signposts, stiles, gates, bridges etc. The Tabular Hill Walk (Formerly "The Link") is one of these and, as such, should provide no insurmountable obstacles. That is why I was a bit worried about these stepping stones as I couldn't for the life of me think of any on the walk!

In fact the two that you mentioned are quite a distance off the THW and should not affect anyone undertaking it. So the original poster can rest assured that the walk should be accessible to him/her.

Both of the stones that you mentioned generally give no problems but can be underwater during flood conditions. Both however, suffer from the problem that they are actually on the spring line and a permanent solution would be difficult to achieve. As there is no evidence of a bridge ever being at eithe of the two locations the park cannot install one without the landowners permission .... and that is a whole new ball-game. Boggy ground at the eastern side to the ones at Wheeldale was drained earlier this year in order to make reaching them easier. The Seven ones are so little used that no problems have been raised to date. However,I will ask for both sets to be rechecked.

#52979 - 29/12/09 11:53 AM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Harland]
slowcoach Offline

Originally Posted By: Harland
Why is it that people who enjoy walking in the countryside enjoying the views drop litter? If it was a short distance from a village then I could understand that the litter louts may not be "walkers" but when you find litter miles from anywhere on a footpath then it really does amaze me. I have now taken the "hint" from an Australian girl I met who took a plastic bag with her and picked up the litter (even cigarette ends - not to smoke later!) on the way which I understand is "what they do down there".

It is often what you find that is quite unbelievable! Many times I collect something and ponder how on earth someone parted company with that. Example .... a full size cut out of a policeman on top of Lovely Seat .... a bikini bottom in the snow on Whernside

#52980 - 29/12/09 01:17 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Next time you are out walking keep an eye out for a bearded bespectacled bloke with a name badge on (not Slowcoach though) carrying a litter picker. You can then drop a tenner into his undoubtedly grubby hand.

I don't think Pavaroti will fit in your bag.
I shall endevour to have him made smaller and placed in an envelope in the same place as I found yourpayment for the tent.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Paul
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52982 - 29/12/09 03:19 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england

Hi Slowcoach,
yes i was just going by my memory,
was it originally, Malcom Boyes Missing Link for the Cleveland Way.
a few years ago I did a recky round the area and was thinking those stepping stones were on the route.
I had parked at pub walked northeast as far as Muffles bridge at se 760 944 then into the forest and back down by Spiers Bank House to the road ,walked north to the public footpath and the stepping stones then joined the link going north and then back down to the pub.
sorry if I have mislead you

#52983 - 29/12/09 03:20 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england

Hi Slowcoach,
a few years ago I did a recky round the area and was thinking those stepping stones were on the route.
I had parked at pub walked northeast as far as Muffles bridge at se 760 944 then into the forest and back down by Spiers Bank House to the road ,walked north to the public footpath and the stepping stones then joined the link going north and then back down to the pub.
THANKS A LOT

#52984 - 29/12/09 07:19 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: Arial]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi Arial,
I have not been there, not as bad as that anyway, however I have witnessed the recovery from bad injuries of several Fell runners. All I can offer is to say "Little by Little" and you will get there. As you probably realise you are likely to have some permanent weakness in the ankle, so carefull choice of footwear will be even more important. Strong full hide thickness leather supportive boots will give you the extra confidence you will require to get going again, properly.
All the best.
Dave.

#52989 - 29/12/09 09:02 PM Re: 6 mo. on [Re: tim smith]
slowcoach Offline

Hi Slowcoach,

If the pub was the "Blacksmiths Arms" that has now closed!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917