The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52966 - 28/12/09 07:40 PM Really hoping I'm not too late....
Gamebird Offline

Loc: North Yorks
I am planning to do the C2C alone in late June but haven't yet booked any accomodation. I'm planning on YHA where possible, pubs and B&B if necessary (know a couple of decent pubs towards the last few days of the walk as it's my local stomping ground).

Some of the previous posts have scared me - I had thought I was organising well in advance and am now worried that I've missed the boat shocked. It will be a week or two before I'm organised enough to actually make any bookings.

Would it help if I started mid-week? It doesn't really matter when I take the time off work so mid-week would probably be as easy as a weekend.

All help for a newbie much appreciated!

#52973 - 29/12/09 01:46 AM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
You are not too late, just don't hit Grasmere and Patterdale on the weekend and watch out for any horse/dog races or jazz festivals. On my C2C last May, I booked in January and got fully booked from St Bees to RHB although it was a struggle in a couple of places. Like you, I walked solo. Single accommodations are always harder to come by and are usually a bit more expensive. Sometimes you may have to be creative, like staying in Muker or Thwaite instead of Keld. Also you may want to get several beds in YHA. Just get started booking as soon as possible.

#52974 - 29/12/09 07:09 AM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I find that the best way as you are flexible is to start at any time rather than a weekend and to find accommodation sit down and phone YHAs, B&Bs etc asking their availability on a few days and tell them that you will phone back later. Once you have phoned them all then work out the best way to fit them in, it may need perhaps staying in one place for two nights and either having a rest day or getting a lift to where you left off the night before. It is more difficult to find single accommodation, especially in the Lake District, but I managed it and also, when walking the 630 miles South West Coast Path, I just turned up at places and I always found somewhere to stay - normally up a hill!
Pennine Way 2005&2014;C2C 2006;SWCP 2007;WHW 2008;GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011;Clev.W 2012;Yorkshire W.W. 2012;Offa's Dyke 2013;Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014;Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015;LEJoG 2018;Camino 2019;2020 NOTHING!2021 Hopefully.

#52977 - 29/12/09 09:25 AM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
kevm Offline

Loc: Sheffield, South Yorkshire,UK
I've done it 4 times and always booked it about a week in advance with no major problems. I've always done what Harland suggested - call all the B&B's and find their availability on a few days. As well as starting mid week, doing it East to West also helps - you avoid the problems with the West to East crowds overnighting in the same places in the first 3 or 4 days, and the Lakes section, which I think is the highlight, comes at the end of the walk.

The places I've had a problem are:

- Clay Bank Top/Great Broughton. Avoid it by staying at the Lion Inn then walk to Ingleby the next day
- Ingleby. If the Blue Bell's full you could try Osmotherley, which only adds about a mile
- Keld. If Keld Lodge and Butt House are full you might need to get a taxi to Reeth (order it from Keld Lodge and have a pint while waiting)
- Patterdale. I've always got into the White Lion at short notice
- Grasmere is always a major problem. Often I've had to get a bus to Ambleside for the night

#52981 - 29/12/09 01:24 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: kevm]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
You could always try it the way I am going to do it.
Backpack.
Tent.
Legs.
Boots.
Maps.
Compass.
Sense of Humour.
Beer chits(you will need a lot of these,especially if you go the same time as me).
Food.
Clothes.
More beer chits(incase we meet up more than once).
Luck.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52988 - 29/12/09 08:54 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Gamebird Offline

Thank you all. I can guarantee the sense of humour and beer chits, am hoping for the luck also... but who knows.

Have speeded up my research and am now looking at a 6th of June start (have to fit it round my other sporting commitments!)so hopefully I will be at the booking stage in a day or two once I have finalised my stages and stopover points.

#52997 - 30/12/09 10:52 AM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Originally Posted By: Gamebird
Thank you all. I can guarantee the sense of humour and beer chits, am hoping for the luck also... but who knows.

Have speeded up my research and am now looking at a 6th of June start (have to fit it round my other sporting commitments!)so hopefully I will be at the booking stage in a day or two once I have finalised my stages and stopover points.

Then the chances are we shall meet at some point.
I myself am booked on the Sherpa to St Bees on the morning of the 6th,to commence my adventure.
Happy sporting commitments.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#53002 - 31/12/09 04:02 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Gamebird Offline

OK - so how does this sound? I am not fit now but will be up and running in plenty of time and have been fairly fit in the not too distant past. I do tend to walk fairly quickly. I thought as I'm going on my own that setting off earlyish each morning would be a good plan then if I get lost/injured there should be someone along in a bit to help out!

1. St. Bee's to Ennerdale
2. Ennerdale to Rosthwaite
3. Rosthwaite to Grasmere
4. Grasmere to Patterdale
5. Patterdale to Shap
6. Shap to Kirby S.
7. Kirby S. to Keld
8. Keld to Reeth
9. Reeth to Richmond
10. Richmond to Ingleby Cross
11. Ingleby to Blakey
12. Blakey to Egton Bridge/Grosmont (haven't decided yet)
13. Egton/Grosmont to RHB

I know there are a few very short stages early on but I'm not keen on hills! Would it be feasible to do 7 and 8 (Keld to RIchmond)in one day to make a day back up or is that too much?

#53003 - 31/12/09 04:57 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Can't comment myself on your plan,as I will be doing it for the first time myself,and as I am wild camping as much as possible,I won't be sticking to a rigid stop over point. Just wherever I end up when I want to stop, or can't go any further because the way is barred by a public house.
But your plan looks okay to me,and looks doable(I think thats what these other chaps call it on here).
Either way up.
Enjoy.
and Happy New Year.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#53004 - 31/12/09 06:02 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
sjwato Offline

Loc: Bridlington, East Yorkshire
A good alternative to the itinerary for days 9 and 10 (Reeth-Richmond, followed by Richmond-Ingleby Cross)is to extend day 9 for a few miles to Catterick Bridge. This creates two more balanced days, albeit at the expense of a night wallowing in the fleshpots of Richmond.
On my last crossing I stayed at St. Giles Farm, Catterick Bridge (http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/stgilesfarm) and can thoroughly recommend it to those who already know Richmond or would prefer to avoid the noise and bustle.

#53005 - 31/12/09 06:36 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: sjwato]
Gamebird Offline

I'll bear that in mind ta, though wouldn't mind a night in the 'fleshpots' as you call them....

#53006 - 31/12/09 06:37 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
Gamebird Offline

I'll have to say that I have left it a wee bit too late - I'm struggling in some places! Others recommended booking 18 months in advance shocked

#53008 - 31/12/09 08:09 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: sjwato]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Keld to Richmond in one day is certainly feasible. I found the two stages to be each about four hours, although I walked from Reeth to Bolton so the next stage to Ingleby would be shorter.
In Glaisdale, I stopped at Beggers Bridge b&b at the east end of town and only two min from the pub. This also gives you a fast start on the last stage to RHB.

#53011 - 01/01/10 02:52 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gregg]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Fleshpots? You obviously found the Wetherspoons on curry night then.

#53021 - 04/01/10 09:48 AM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: sjwato]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Originally Posted By: sjwato
A good alternative to the itinerary for days 9 and 10 (Reeth-Richmond, followed by Richmond-Ingleby Cross)is to extend day 9 for a few miles to Catterick Bridge. This creates two more balanced days, albeit at the expense of a night wallowing in the fleshpots of Richmond.
On my last crossing I stayed at St. Giles Farm, Catterick Bridge (http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/stgilesfarm) and can thoroughly recommend it to those who already know Richmond or would prefer to avoid the noise and bustle.

That's exactly what I have decided to do, it makes the longest day to Ingleby Cross a few miles shorter - I will just enjoy the delights (and probable restock at Boots) of Richmond for a couple of hours in the afternoon before walking my last 3 miles to St Giles Farm

#53052 - 05/01/10 11:08 AM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: Gamebird]
mickey Offline

You're route plan seems pretty sensible, I've put in where we stayed last time we did it, there's only a couple of places where you might struggle to get accom but if you book now you should be ok. When we did it we didn't pre-book accom, just rocked up and managed to blag into places on the day but we did have a tent incase we had to camp.

1. St. Bee's to Ennerdale (YHA)
2. Ennerdale to Rosthwaite (YHA)
3. Rosthwaite to Grasmere (2 x YHAs)
4. Grasmere to Patterdale (YHA)
5. Patterdale to Shap (New Ing Lodge like a YHA caters for mountain bikers & walkers)
6. Shap to Kirby S. (YHA)
7. Kirby S. to Keld (Keld bunk house - limited places recommend book now)
8. Keld to Reeth (YHA Grinton lodge)
9. Reeth to Richmond (lots of hotels)
10. Richmond to Ingleby Cross (there is a YHA but we stayed at Bluebell Inn)
11. Ingleby to Blakey (Lion Inn)
12. Blakey to Egton Bridge/Grosmont (we carried on till Littlebeck to have a short last day, stayed at Intake farm)
13. Egton/Grosmont to RHB

#53053 - 05/01/10 12:05 PM Re: Really hoping I'm not too late.... [Re: mickey]
Gamebird Offline

All booked now Mickey thanks but it looks like I'm doing very similar to you - the exceptions would be Grasmere (YHA full, will book independent hostel but they'll only take bookings 6 weeks ahead); Keld - bunkhouse was full, got a 'pod' in the Lodge; and Ingleby - everything full except Monk's House so I'm there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917