The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53001 - 31/12/09 03:03 PM Newbie
Lancs Lad Offline

Just a quick note,
Am new to the trails, Done plenty of walks but am planning on doing C2C in May 2010 and starting my research and planning now. Would appreciate any useful tips.etc.
Will be following the planned route as per the site unless there is any obvious improvements or alternatives.
Advice please,
Chhers

#53010 - 01/01/10 01:30 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Lancs Lad]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
I am also new to this LDP stuff,as you can see from my post(A total Novice),but the advice you can gleen from folk on this here forum really is good.
Some may take the mickey,others offer up a jovial acount of trails past,but all will help you get from ST B-RHB without dying on the way.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#53020 - 04/01/10 09:40 AM Re: Newbie [Re: Lancs Lad]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Hi Lanc lad, welcome.

How will you be doing the C2C, backpacking\camping or B&B's?
If you are going to use B&B's I would book your accommodation sooner rather than later. There seems to be quite a few of us going in May - and I had trouble getting some places booked in November!
You can see my itinary in the post 'Ready now for May 2010', just to give you an idea of a fairly relaxed crossing - not young enough any more to go any quicker smile

#53059 - 05/01/10 05:08 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Calluna]
Lancs Lad Offline

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will be doing the walk camping and YH. With a little luxury of a B&B at RHB on the last night. Think I would have deserved it.

#53060 - 05/01/10 05:09 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Calluna]
Lancs Lad Offline

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will be doing the walk camping and YH. With a little luxury of a B&B at RHB on the last night. Think I would have deserved it.

#53069 - 06/01/10 12:57 AM Re: Newbie [Re: Lancs Lad]
flatlands Offline

I'm on my 6th crossing of the Coast to Coast walk, simply the best walk there is. I'm doing a east to west in June, this is the 2nd east to west. Any questions, I'm only too willing help. Nowadays, I fully camp the C2C. The first 3 crossing's were on a yha/bb/camp overnight. confused

#53085 - 06/01/10 05:07 PM Re: Newbie [Re: flatlands]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: flatlands
I'm on my 6th crossing of the Coast to Coast walk, simply the best walk there is. I'm doing a east to west in June, this is the 2nd east to west. Any questions, I'm only too willing help. Nowadays, I fully camp the C2C. The first 3 crossing's were on a yha/bb/camp overnight. confused

You say this is simply the best walk, what other LDP's have you done to compare it with?
Dave.

#53089 - 06/01/10 07:52 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Slogger]
dregsy Offline

I'm in the process of planning the C2C for the beginning of April. I've been living in France for the last 3 1/2 years and haven't really done any walking in that time. I'll have a 6 or 7 weeks before hand for walks in the hills and am doing some distances with wieght on the flat here. Could there be an argument for an East to West crossing to build up the fitness for the up and down days, or is it as broad as it is long ?

Cheers Dregsy

#53091 - 06/01/10 08:48 PM Re: Newbie [Re: dregsy]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I speak to many people doing the coast to coast. Non regular distance walkers (distance walkers tend to take everything in their stride) walking east to west generally give the same comment, something based around "I'm not looking forward to the Lakes at the end". The same people going west to east often say how hard the Lakes were and they are glad they did them first!

You will also (generally) be walking into the wind and rain and,if you are really lucky, with the sun in your face . These are not meant to be negative comments, just food for thought. You are more likely to team up with people walking to Bay, because there are more of them, but this might also be a disadvantage depending on your attitude to other walkers.

#53095 - 06/01/10 11:13 PM Re: Newbie [Re: slowcoach]
Lancs Lad Offline

Some. Excellent advice, Am currently trying to plan a first time route . St bees to ennerdale on day 1 after that can anyone suggest which may be the best existing route. Am looking to follow a fairly established route before branching out in years to come. So looking doe the best route for a novice. Thanks. Tim

#53097 - 07/01/10 06:51 AM Re: Newbie [Re: Lancs Lad]
dregsy Offline

thanks slow coach, I didn't mention but I'm doing the walk with my mate for his 50th, it's his party so to speak. I have to say I'm very excited. I did the Inn Way a few years ago for charity and it was one of the best weekends I've ever had. Before we moved to France I was in the Lakes most weekends, and for a long time it was really the only thing I missed. I did a few walks in the Massif Central from Mont Dore, but for me it really doesn't compare. I am looking forward to hitting the hills as often as possible after our return, and hope to do many LDPs

Dregsy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917