The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53046 - 05/01/10 06:22 AM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: Gamebird]
rjb1978 Offline

ennerdae is 14.5 miles. The youth hostel is in the region of 6 miles after that (all of the lake and a bit more). So 20ish miles. If you are young and reasonably fit then is very doable. start 10am - Cleator 1pm (one hour for lunch at the pub) set off at 2pm tough but short climb up Dent and down and then lovely walk get to Ennerdale before 5pm. Short rest and snack and perhaps a pint, set off at 5.30, then it is an easy 6 miles to the hostel - should be there well before 8pm ready for a slap up meal. job done, no worries.

#53048 - 05/01/10 08:25 AM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: rjb1978]
Gamebird Offline

Loc: North Yorks
Lovely, pleased to hear that it's doable. It will make the next day 6 miles shorter anyway. I am reasonably young and will be training seriously to make the walk as easy as possible. I will check the map for shortcuts!

#53050 - 05/01/10 10:37 AM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: Gamebird]
mickey Offline

St Bees to Ennerdale YHA is easily do-able, especially if you're having your kit sherpa'd. If you're setting off at 10am and are reasonably fit you should make Gillerthwaite by 7pm no problems.

There's no need to miss any of the walk out such as the clifftop walk, 21 miles with a day pack while you're still fresh shouldn't be a problem.

We did it in June last year with full backpacks: tents, s/bags, stove, food etc... setting off at 9am we got there by about 6:30pm. It was a very hot day when we did it and although we had plenty of water we started to flag near the end with a bit of heatstroke, we now carry those rehydration tablets to replace salt and electrolytes lost. It is a bit of a slog round ennerdale water, so as someone said a bite to eat and a drink in ennerdale might be an option.

As you said getting to the YH means you have an easy day the next day smile

#53056 - 05/01/10 03:06 PM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: mickey]
flatlands Offline

From St Bees to Ennerdale YH is only 19 miles and 3529' of ascent, allow 8 hours of walking @ 3mph. Yes, it seems a shame to miss out the cliff path and Dent. But the north side path of the lake is good going and you get better views of Ennerdale.

#53057 - 05/01/10 04:19 PM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: flatlands]
SteveInLeicester Offline

Loc: Leicester
If you're planning any shortcut at all, for what it's worth I'd miss out the cliff path. You can save a lot of time and I don't think you miss out on a great deal. It's still a nice walk. However, last time I missed out Dent and took the road, what a trudge. Road walking's harder on the feet and it felt like Ennerdale was never coming. As for getting to St Bees early, it's not the kind of place where one would linger. Because I was tight on time I travelled up on the train on my first day and didn't arive at St Bees until 1.00pm and I still comfortably made Ennerdale, it's not a difficult day. Nice to see you back Flatlands, I see you're as decisive as ever though!

#53062 - 05/01/10 05:28 PM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: flatlands]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: flatlands
From St Bees to Ennerdale YH is only 19 miles and 3529' of ascent, allow 8 hours of walking @ 3mph. Yes, it seems a shame to miss out the cliff path and Dent. But the north side path of the lake is good going and you get better views of Ennerdale.

Are you sure about that ascent, it seems an awful lot to me as there is only one real hill en-route, Dent Hill at 1131ft and all the other undulations are only little ones.
Dave.

#53063 - 05/01/10 05:29 PM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: SteveInLeicester]
DodgeyKnee Offline

Loc: London
Talking of short cuts, is it worth considering cutting off the corner that is Ennerdale Bridge and trolling over Grike? What are the views from there?

#53067 - 06/01/10 12:41 AM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: Slogger]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: Slogger
Originally Posted By: flatlands

Are you sure about that ascent, it seems an awful lot to me as there is only one real hill en-route, Dent Hill at 1131ft and all the other undulations are only little ones.
Dave.
I've re-checked it on the memory map and came to 3218', the 3529' was a rough draw.

#53068 - 06/01/10 12:46 AM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: SteveInLeicester]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: SteveInLeicester
Nice to see you back Flatlands, I see you're as decisive as ever though!
I've been viewing the forum from time to time and it's only last week, that I've decided to do the Coast to Coast on a east to west in June. I was going to cycle the Coast to Coast using the bridle-way where possible, but the walk won the day (again)and walking is better for camping.

#53164 - 11/01/10 07:35 AM Re: Two fairly dumb questions - Ennerdale YH and poles [Re: flatlands]
Gamebird Offline

Loc: North Yorks
OK poles - the verdict:

I bought some cheap ones and set out on my usual morning dog stroll (who am I kidding, it's an extremely steep 4 mile march). Have been finding it tough going in the snow as it's drifted and is over a foot deep in a lot of places. Definitely easier and more sure footed, even on the steep downhill at the end, with the poles. So providing that there is a foot of snow in the Lakes in June I shall be taking the poles with me!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917