The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53041 - 05/01/10 12:22 AM Gaiters or not?
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
I am still putting together my kit.
It's getting there,but will I really need a pair of gaiters or not.
It's gonna be the start of June when I go.
Was out at the weekend and my socks are muddy as,I had my troos tucked into em,but is it worth a pair or not?
Yup Mad as hatters.

#53043 - 05/01/10 01:30 AM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
flatlands Offline

I have 3 pairs of Gaiters and really never used them as such. However, there do keep the bottom half of trousers clean and dry and also the top of the boots. I'm doing the C2C in June and taking mine, there are only a few grammes.

#53044 - 05/01/10 01:31 AM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
flatlands Offline

I have 3 pairs of Gaiters and really never used them as such. However, there do keep the bottom half of trousers clean and dry and also the top of the boots. I'm doing the C2C in June and taking mine, there are only weigh a few grammes.

#53045 - 05/01/10 01:38 AM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: flatlands]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
(Cows + fields) = mud = gaitors

#53051 - 05/01/10 10:39 AM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: canmal]
mickey Offline

We didn't use them last year and were OK, but without them the bottom of your pants get very mucky so next time I'll prob take a pair

#53055 - 05/01/10 01:02 PM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: mickey]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Gaiters are purely a matter of personal preference, what's right for one person another may find a hindrance. I never wear them, purely out of preference. Being old and senile I always wear 2 pairs of knee length socks, folding the outer pair over the top of my boots and tucking my trousers into the inner pair. Consequently my trousers remain clean although my socks may get muddy. Others I know wear gaiters for even short walks laiming that they keep their lower bits clean and dry.

Milletts currently have an offer on them (5 a pair, ot they did last week. Why not inve4st in a fiver and try them, If you can't get on with them you have lost a fiver (which you can deduct from my tip). If you like them bingo!

#53058 - 05/01/10 05:01 PM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: slowcoach]
Lancs Lad Offline

Bearing in mind the benefit they can give as opposed to any issue of weight I would always take them, especially bearing in mind the unique British weather. Definitely take them if you're camping as you may not have the benefit of a drying room for trousers. Absolutely hate wet feet especially on any of the longer routes 15+ miles.

#53061 - 05/01/10 05:18 PM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: Lancs Lad]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I always take my Gaiters, even in dry weather they are useful to prevent a soaking of trouser bottoms or socks if wearing shorts, from due laden grass in the mornings.
Dave.

#53075 - 06/01/10 06:15 AM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Gaiters are purely a matter of personal preference, what's right for one person another may find a hindrance. I never wear them, purely out of preference. Being old and senile I always wear 2 pairs of knee length socks, folding the outer pair over the top of my boots and tucking my trousers into the inner pair. Consequently my trousers remain clean although my socks may get muddy. Others I know wear gaiters for even short walks laiming that they keep their lower bits clean and dry.

Milletts currently have an offer on them (5 a pair, ot they did last week. Why not inve4st in a fiver and try them, If you can't get on with them you have lost a fiver (which you can deduct from my tip). If you like them bingo!

Slowcoach - you always been a dedicated follower of fashion?

#53077 - 06/01/10 07:52 AM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

I still am. You can spot me a mile off ..... by my flared trousers!

#53105 - 07/01/10 05:07 PM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Believe it or not,I saw those very same 5 gaiters and was tempted,but Mrs RT has put a combolock on me wallet.
I think I shall invest,as I only have one pair of troos at the moment,I think I need another pair at least. Don't you?
I do have a few pairs of shorts though,but I don't want to scare anyone with these legs.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#53108 - 07/01/10 08:42 PM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Good heavens man. A man should wear the trousers in his own house. Ooops .... that's the problem isn't it. You haven't any!

PS, as regards shorts .... the sheep are accustomed to strange sights. There is naturist holiday accommodation that takes guests on nude walks based at ****** House Farm. (No, I don't know how they manage to sit down for their dinner in the heather)

#53162 - 10/01/10 09:42 PM Re: Gaiters or not? [Re: flatlands]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Originally Posted By: flatlands
I have 3 pairs of Gaiters and really never used them as such. However, there do keep the bottom half of trousers clean and dry and also the top of the boots. I'm doing the C2C in June and taking mine, there are only weigh a few grammes.

FL, you need to recalibrate your scales!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917