The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53096 - 07/01/10 12:39 AM C-C for charity
Seasider Offline

Loc: Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Hi everybody,as the topic say's I'm doing the C-C july 2010 for charity (Cancer Research UK). Those of you who post regularly will know that I'm new to the boards. My plan is to go east to west and finish off with ten peaks as I travel across the lake district.I'm fortunate in that I have about 3-4 weeks to play with and will have company for the final lakeland leg.I've almost put my route together and will be asking your advice when it's finished.For those wondering how I get so much time from work, I'ts only possible because I've recently hit retirement age.
Looking at the postings concerning the C-C, a lot off you have done the trail more than once so I guess I'm in for a rare adventure.
I hope you all have a happy,prosperous and injury free New Year.
Seasider (from sunny Wirral)

#53098 - 07/01/10 07:39 AM Re: C-C for charity [Re: Seasider]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Good luck to you Seasider.

I think we do the C2C for escapism and out of the masochistic pleasure to hurt ourselves and give our money away to commerce.

While applauding your work for charity, the question always arises as to why everything worthwhile has to be raised by charity, when the taxes we pay are spent on prolonging wars that produce injured that require charities to pay for their upkeep.

Seriously, I do the C2C and other LDP's not only to keep fit but to find freedom from the idiocies of modern society.

#53100 - 07/01/10 12:40 PM Re: C-C for charity [Re: Seasider]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Hiya

Whereabouts in the Wirral are you? I live in Pensby....and am doing my first crossing on May 19th. Dead excited grin

Calluna (from sunny,snowy Wirral)

#53112 - 08/01/10 12:36 AM Re: C-C for charity [Re: Calluna]
Seasider Offline

Evening Calluna, Really nice to have a couple of replies on my first post.In answer to your question, I live in Moreton, just a hefty stones throw from you.
I guess your totally organised for your trip, I on the other hand will be, once I've got my stopovers booked. So far I'm sticking pretty well to the reverse of Wainrights walk until I get to shap then it gets a bit more complicated because of the detours to the peaks I've included.

Seasider (from starlit, icy Wirral)

#53113 - 08/01/10 12:55 AM Re: C-C for charity [Re: Oldun]
Seasider Offline

Hello Oldun, I totally agree with your first comments but you forgot to mention some of the pluses, like finding yourself in a beatiful place with no cars, crowds or the general hubub of civilisation.I also agree that the most recent wars not only ruin lives but they create more enemies, many from within our midst.The way I look at it is if we wait for the government to change it's policies a hell of a lot of people will suffer the rigors of cancer and If I and the thousands of other people who fundraise can speed the progress toward curing it,well that makes it worth it.

Seasider

#53122 - 08/01/10 10:47 AM Re: C-C for charity [Re: Seasider]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
I took up walking seriously when my wife died of intestinal cancer. I just had to get away from all the well wishers and cliches. I felt closer to my wife high up in the hills listening to the wind while watching nature and the world pass me by. Physically it has paid off, as my doctor says that at 72 I am fitter now than at any time in my life and more at peace with the world.

My doctor is a mountaineer who is part of a team studying altitude sickness. A couple of years ago he had to run up Mont Blanc fitted with electrodes. He had to keep going until he passed out. What this proved I am not quite sure. During each visit we spend a lot of time recounting our recent escapades.

#53153 - 09/01/10 11:26 PM Re: C-C for charity [Re: Oldun]
Seasider Offline

I'm glad that you have found somewhere that you can feel the closeness of your wife. Often being close to nature, especially when alone,gives us the freedom to reflect and grieve in our own way.
I got in to walking through my daughter who was 17 at the time (43 now). One of her tutors was an itinerate fell walker and wildlife buff. Knowing I too was interested in nature she volunteered my family to climb the Dragons Tail in North Wales. Well 11 miles later we finished the walk and the holy Grail (tea shop) was closed,wifes knees were killing her and my youngest daughter had stormed off back to our transport. Strange then!!! that several weeks later we all decided to go to the lake district and do some fell walking. As they say "there's nout so strange as folk"
Actually the charity c-c walk was organised for last year, however, walking has taken something of a back seat for me over the last 18 months(still manage about 20-30 miles per week).I had an accident when riding my bike which put paid to that,so no offroading for me, at least until I've completed my CtoC.
Best wishes
Seasider

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917