The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54082 - 01/03/10 08:34 AM Where is Rowrah??
Muz Offline

Loc: Surrey Hills, Melbourne Austra...
We (two couples form Melbourne, Australia, all under/over sixty) are doing the C2C in September, using Sherpa Van to do the bookings and carry our bags. We sent them our list of preferred destinations and accommodation, and all has worked reasonably well except for our first night out of St Bees. We wanted Ennerdale Bridge, we have been booked into a place called Rowrah! It's not mentioned in Stedman's Guide Book, nor is it on the strip map we bought. I found it using Google Maps, it's a fair way off track. Looks like it avoids Dent, which would be a pity.

Anyone had any experience of this location and route? We are booked into the Stork Hotel.

#54083 - 01/03/10 09:49 AM Re: Where is Rowrah?? [Re: Muz]
RichardJ Offline

Loc: Warrington, UK
I would be disapointed not to stay in Ennerdale. However, the hotel has a web site and on it, it states that they have a free pick up and drop off service for Coast to Coast walkers. You can stick to the traditional route!

http://www.storkhotel.co.uk/

#54105 - 01/03/10 08:29 PM Re: Where is Rowrah?? [Re: RichardJ]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
G'day Muz,
Looks like you'll be ok with the Stork hotel having a free pick up service. But in case it's of interest there is the Fox & Hounds pub in Ennerdale that provides accomodation and meals. http://www.foxandhoundsinn.org.uk/
I believe it's under new management since I stayed there, (tent in garden) but it was ok then.

#54112 - 01/03/10 11:07 PM Re: Where is Rowrah?? [Re: Geo]
Muz Offline

Loc: Surrey Hills, Melbourne Austra...
Richard, yes we are disappointed not to be able to get accommodation in Ennerdale Bridge, and have asked Sherpa Van to try again. The Stork Hotel does look OK though, good comments in the Guest Book, and getting picked up/dropped off saves the navigation/off track issues.

I was surprised that we couldn't get in, we chose September as it is supposedly quiet on the C2C. I guess it's all those SAGA Louts that were mentioned in another thread......hang on, that's us!

#54113 - 02/03/10 07:17 AM Re: Where is Rowrah?? [Re: Muz]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire

"I was surprised that we couldn't get in, we chose September as it is supposedly quiet on the C2C. I guess it's all those SAGA Louts that were mentioned in another thread......hang on, that's us!"

Don't underestimate their numbers! September is now one of the busiest months. Schools have gone back and those not tied to school hols appear in vast hordes.

#54119 - 02/03/10 01:25 PM Re: Where is Rowrah?? [Re: slowcoach]
mickey Offline

Have you tried ennerdale youth hostel, it's about another 5 miles past ennerdale village. we had a great time when we stayed there on our c2c. long first day but short second. plenty of time to chill out at blacksail yha and have paninis at the slate mine

#54126 - 02/03/10 09:36 PM Re: Where is Rowrah?? [Re: mickey]
hsmale Offline

Loc: Escanaba, Mich, USA
If you have the time, the Via Ferrata at Honister is interesting.

#54151 - 03/03/10 10:48 PM Re: Where is Rowrah?? [Re: hsmale]
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Muz, Rowrah is approx about 8 miles further along the same road you come out on at Cleator Main Street on the C2C and the Stork Hotel is on the same road in Rowrah. In my opinion it is not an option if you have to walk it there as it is well off track from the C2C route but is a possibility if you are going to be picked up and dropped back off the following morning, but my preferance would be to stay in Ennerdale where you could talk over your days experiences over with fellow C2Cers while having your evening meal.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917