The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54358 - 14/03/10 11:26 AM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: MarkF]
Tortoise Offline

Loc: South Bucks
I like the glib "from JOG I will pick up the WHW at Fort William"! Be aware that FW is not just round the corner from JOG! I'm sure the CWT is the most attractive option for this (followed by following the north coast, but it would probably add a week or so to the time.

#54359 - 14/03/10 12:40 PM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: Tortoise]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I am aware there is a great deal of wild country between JOG and Fort William and I suspect it will be some of the best I pass through on the entire trip. But time is not a major consideration as I take time off in 4 to 6 month blocks (It's good being semi retired but in demand). Another week or two is easily accommodated. I just need to depart the UK within 6 months of arriving so I don't become an "illegal" immigrant smile.

I think I have sorted Edale to Offas Dyke but would like any comments. I can pick up the North Cheshire Way at Disley (20-25km from Edale) and then swap to the Dee Way at Chester (about 70-80km) which runs to Prestatyn (50km). This should take 5-6 days and means I get to do the complete Offas Dyke path but I am a little skeptical of the North Cheshire Way which regards Manchester airport as a route highlight eek. I realise this is taking me in a slightly southern arc but the route is very direct and should be relatively fast walking. Much of the Dee Way looks unpaved in Google Earth but I haven't any idea of the North Cheshire Way route other than a few place names. Details would be most welcome.

#54365 - 14/03/10 08:27 PM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: MarkF]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
I walked from Whitchurch to Castleton in Oct last year as part of my own research into hooking up the PW to OD for LJ. I have my planned (and actual) track in a Google Earth .KMZ file if you wish (actually I have the planned track from Chirk to Castleton)I also have quite a few scanned maps (1:25000) of the route and GPS trackpoints. Although you don't take in all of Offas Dyke (and miss the Clwydian Hills unfortunately)It is an easy and pleasant walk through the Cheshire plains, taking in some canal walking along the way, as well as places like Tideswell, Buxton and smaller villages. If you want any of this stuff as an alternative, you can email and I'll see what I can gather up.I can also give you some info on B/B's.It took my wife and I 6 days of (not fast!) walking.

#54368 - 14/03/10 09:41 PM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: MarkF]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: MarkF

Part of my aim is to walk as many UK National trails as possible in the process and visit places I have heard of that seem worth a visit.

You may already be aware of this map of the long distance trails in the UK.
Long Distance Paths Chart - http://www.ldwa.org.uk/shop/list_items.php?category_id=5
If not, really recommend getting a copy as it gives you an instant picture of trail combinations to link up.

After OD, if you end a day in Chepstow, there's a small woods right on the south edge of the town (accessed slightly uphill from memory) where you can discreetly pitch.
If staying a night in Bristol itself, recommend the YHA there, clean, good food, good location.
Found the immediate southern approach to Bristol (your departure) unavoidably road walked as the city was ringed by suburbs, though maybe there's a trail tucked in somewhere that I didn't know about!

#54376 - 16/03/10 02:21 AM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: Geo]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
I used the long distance path chart to rough plan my route. Excellent thing to have.

#54498 - 28/03/10 12:03 AM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: MarkF]
MarkF Offline

I just received the Harvey long distance path map from premier maps on Ebay. I would recommend them, particularly to anybody wanting maps sent OS, as they were very helpful and their postage costs were close to the real cost.

I have been working on the Scottish section of route. Subject to any feed back I get I intend to walk the north coast from JOG to Tongue mostly along the coastal cliffs. Then take the Sutherland Way across to Kylesku to join the Cape Wrath Trail to Fort William and WHW to Milngavie.

To get to Kirk Yetholm there seems to a route from Glasgow to New Lanark that has recently opened (Clyde Walkway - starts at Partick Station, 5 miles from Milngavie). Then cross country from New Lanark to Traquair via Biggar or Peebles (about 2 days) to pick up the Southern Upland Way. SUW to Melrose and then the St Cuthberts Way to KY. This seems to be about 8 days walk (130 miles).

This route seems generally comparable with the route using the canals through Falkirk etc and has a similar amount of cross country navigation but possibly avoids 2 or 3 days of paved surface along the canals but does go through the centre of Glasgow.

Any first hand knowledge would be welcome.

#54511 - 29/03/10 11:47 AM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: MarkF]
MarkF Offline

I have just come across the Kelvin Walkway on http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/kelvin-walkway.shtml which provides a slightly circuitous link from Milngavie to the Clyde Walkway. This should make the trek through Glasgow a bit more palatable. Does anybody know about it?

I need to get a bit more detailed in the planning and saw the ads for Mapyx Quo and 95 pounds (my pound signs don't seem to work) for the full UK at 1:50 000 based on OS maps - anybody tried it?

#54602 - 05/04/10 01:09 PM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: MarkF]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Whilst a little premature I am looking about how to get back south from John O'Groats. There is a bus from JOG to Wick, then a train to Inverness and then I could pick up the mainline south.

Apart from walking are there any other suggestions? Has anyone tried thumbing a lift or are people less inclined nowadays to help? Flying from Wick costs too much unless I could work out a month in advance when I would arrive at JOG.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#54612 - 05/04/10 05:50 PM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: Harland]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Train to Inverness, because it is such an excellent ride.
Try the web for a one-way car rental from Inverness to Harland Towers. It might work out cheaper and quicker than train (it has done, in my experience).

#54613 - 05/04/10 05:57 PM Re: End to End - JOGLE [Re: Stottie]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Stottie
Train to Inverness, because it is such an excellent ride.
Try the web for a one-way car rental from Inverness to Harland Towers. It might work out cheaper and quicker than train (it has done, in my experience).

Thanks I hadn't thought of that.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917