The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54333 - 12/03/10 09:33 AM Prepare for pennine way
fats1964 Offline

Well I am 22 stone and need to something like this to help get me back on track after various struggles with my life

20 years ago i tried the pennine way but had to pack in as my feet were feeling like they were burning, we were all gutted that it wasnt completed

I would like to know what sort of mileage each day i should be able to walk before starting

I am planning to do this on my own, if i can organse my stuff

#54334 - 12/03/10 12:46 PM Re: Prepare for pennine way [Re: fats1964]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
When running a marathon (26.2 miles) it is important to train by doing a weekly run of 20 miles along with shorter mid week runs. It is equally important not to run over the distance, i.e. not to do a training run in excess of the marathon distance.
However, training for a multi day walk, it is beneficial to build up your walking endurance so that you are walking over your projected daily mileage, once a week, for at least a couple of months beforehand. If your planned daily mileage is say, 16 miles a day, then you need to get the point where you can walk 20 miles once a week for the two months prior to your PW attempt.
Dave.

#54337 - 12/03/10 02:15 PM Re: Prepare for pennine way [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Do you think that the PW is a good one to start on? Perhaps you would enjoy a section of it a lot more without the worry about possible failure. Work out what mileage you are comfortable with and then multiply this by the number of days you have available. This will allow you to build up your confidence to complete it afterwards.

Alternatively, why not start on a shorter path? Half the C to C, Offa's Dyke etc etc.

If you fail on the full PW again how would you cope? It's worth thinking about.

#54341 - 12/03/10 03:50 PM Re: Prepare for pennine way [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Do you think that the PW is a good one to start on? Perhaps you would enjoy a section of it a lot more without the worry about possible failure. Work out what mileage you are comfortable with and then multiply this by the number of days you have available. This will allow you to build up your confidence to complete it afterwards.

Alternatively, why not start on a shorter path? Half the C to C, Offa's Dyke etc etc.

If you fail on the full PW again how would you cope? It's worth thinking about.

I have to agree. Why not try something like the Dales Way (84 miles) or the Cumbria Way (75 miles) first. Both considerably shorter, but excellent walks. Most do the Dales Way in 6 days and the Cumbria Way in 5 days. You will need 3 weeks for the Pennine Way.
Dave.

#54348 - 13/03/10 08:12 PM Re: Prepare for pennine way [Re: Slogger]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
oh bugger, best get walking quick sticks then.... 9 weeks to go and only a 15 mile walk so far this year

#54363 - 14/03/10 02:29 PM Re: Prepare for pennine way [Re: Nick Mac]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Ahh yes but your boots have a homing instinct on Kirk Yetholm.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#54370 - 15/03/10 07:18 AM Re: Prepare for pennine way [Re: joyce taylor]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Fully agree about the Dales Way and Cumbria Way. Did both 2 years ago - We linked them together to make one longer walk taking 10 days. In my opinion the Dales Way is a great introduction to long distance walking and don't forget that baggage transfer can be arranged! Good luck!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917