The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54495 - 27/03/10 08:37 AM Missing out Ennerdale Bridge ???
dave.rst Offline

I've had to put my plan for a May crossing on hold due to work commitments frown . So I'm just going to be walking from St. Bees to Patterdale. I was just wondering, has anybody ever changed their route after Nannycatch to miss out Ennerdale Bridge. I'll be wild camping on route, and was considering skipping EB and going over Grike and Crag Fell to meet the banks of Ennerdale Water via Red Beck.

Looks like a nice route on the map, with possible camping spots on either of the fells. Any opinions or advice would be great smile

#54497 - 27/03/10 05:31 PM Re: Missing out Ennerdale Bridge ??? [Re: dave.rst]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Perfectly viable route although off route if you know what I mean. We came down the Red Beck a few years ago on the way back to Gillerthwaite after finishing off a route with Haycock. Its not the best descent very rough and steep, but manageable.
If you can get a bit further, there is a superb wild camping spot just before and above Black Sail Hut. You take the slanting path to the left off the forest track just after the path that leads to a footbridge on the right. Grid Ref 176133. You follow it for roughly 3/4 mile gradually climbing and the wild camping spot is on a flatish area just before it swings sharply to the left to join the Scarth Gap path out off Enerdale. You can then go over Haystacks and join the path to Honister via Innominate and Blackbeck Tarns.
Dave.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917