The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1696
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36020 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60752 - 12/04/11 06:19 AM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Thanks sgtjames.

#60770 - 12/04/11 08:38 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
sgtjames Offline

Slogger

Although each group of participants is responsible for its own route the need to reach the two overnight camps severely limits their options. When planning my own route from St Bees to east of Shap there is no realistic route utilising roads. KS to Reeth could be but this defeats the spirit of the challenge. We, and I presume most others, used the route over Nine Standards, Crackpot and the track to Surrender Bridge

From Osmotherley to the Whitby/Scarborough road deviating onto roads saves little time as the paths are so well worn. The major use was from the Whitby/Scarborough road direct down via Sledgates into RHB. So, effectively, the route used was the official route, though this was by choice rather than necessity.

The extra 2 hours added to the "day" reduces pressure of needing to route march or run. Most in my experience covered the two days in sufficient time to allow three or four hours sleep each night. Running would be more of a challenge as full pack is carried and only allows extra sleep as the starting time is fixed each day.

Hope this clarifies it.

#60779 - 13/04/11 05:24 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: sgtjames]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I know well what it feels like to walk at 4mph and there is no getting away from it that one cant keep that average pace up with a pack on your back for too long, without becoming injured.
Lots of LDWA members do the 100 miler each year. For anyone that doesn't know, LDWA members walk fast, very fast. The 100 miler is usually won by a Fell/Trail runner in around 27 - 29 hours. They are fully supported with food etc supplied at check in points, so they carry very little.
The C2C is not far off double that, so doubling the winning time without any slowing down, on a continuous sleepless journey running most of it, with no gear, would be around 54 - 58 hours.
Yet these guys do it inside of 65 hours, walking, and carrying a self sufficient pack with sleep stopovers.
I don't mean to be rude and certainly wouldn't accuse anyone of Bull---t, but I wouldn't mind betting I am not the only experienced guy having problems with this.
Dave.

#60782 - 13/04/11 11:22 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Slogger]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I expect you will find that these guys are special forces, not the average bunch of recruits.

#60784 - 14/04/11 12:16 AM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: MarkF]
Slogger Offline

Yes Mark,
I did consider that. What I am saying is even Special Forces cant keep up that pace with packs for so long walking all the way. I have done similar long jaunts whilst in the Army carrying a pack and we didn't route march the whole way we ran and trotted the easier parts.
I am not saying it is beyond well trained special forces to complete it in 65 hours, but I am saying to do it within that time limit they have to be running and trotting as well as walking.
Not all SF members are supermen by the way, just fitter than the average squaddie.
Dave.

#60786 - 14/04/11 06:32 AM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
What, basically, are you saying then ....

I made the meeting with these people up? This person is fictitious?

I have no knowledge of the ability of people to achieve such a feat as it is something I have never undertaken. But,how much would they need to carry for 65 hours? Would more than an outdoor bivvie bag be needed over such a short duration?

I well remember in my youth experts saying that the 4 minute mile was impossible!!!!!!!!!

#60787 - 14/04/11 08:42 AM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
What, basically, are you saying then ....

I made the meeting with these people up? This person is fictitious?

I have no knowledge of the ability of people to achieve such a feat as it is something I have never undertaken. But,how much would they need to carry for 65 hours? Would more than an outdoor bivvie bag be needed over such a short duration?

I well remember in my youth experts saying that the 4 minute mile was impossible!!!!!!!!!

My reply was not to you but Sgt James.
It just doesn't add up to me. Think about it, we are not talking of one person but 40 people succeeding in this out of 50.
Mike Hartleys record stands to this day of a run across the country of just under 40 hours, fully supported carrying nothing. He stopped for less than 2 hours during this. he had trained specifically for it for two years and was at the time one of the country's top long distance Fell runners.
Now put an overnight self supported pack on his back and have him walk, not run. On top of that he stops en route for 6 hours. That cuts his walking time down to 59 hours, his fully supported running time was 38 hours.
The fact is he is going to take more than twice as long, when walking with even a light pack.
38 x 2 = 76hrs.
If you believe that is possible from 80% of those that starters of walkers obviously less capable than MH, then do so, however I do not, simple, and from the PMs I have received, I am not alone.
I repeat SC I am not having a go at you, my reply was aimed at Sgt James.
Dave.

#60788 - 14/04/11 09:06 AM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I did some events whilst in the Army, which involved getting from A to B within a time limit. Although we were meant to go on foot, we would go by any means including hitching lifts.
65 hours would easily be possible taking in the stopovers with the same method. The challenge simply being to get across the country in that time.
Sgt James in his first post says there is no need to go off road.
In his second post he says, when planning his own route, there is no realistic route utilising roads!?
Dave.

#60790 - 14/04/11 09:57 AM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Came across a small group of Coast to Coasters yesterday bivouacking near Scarth Nick. They were on an exercise requiring them to complete the walk, carrying their own provisions, at an average of 3 MPH, ie 65 hours including stops. I was going to offer to accompany them on the last section but felt that their pace would slow me down!

What time of the day did you see them bivouacking?

#60792 - 14/04/11 12:14 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: tonyk]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
It would have to be early doors (ie. before 8am of the last 40m day) and the route from there is 47.5 (Footprint) - my own route from there is 43m (flat measured - Google) - missing Maybeck Woods and using road into RHB probably will account for the difference.

4am start 3mph for 23hrs (69m) 1hrs rest
6am start 3mph for 23hrs (69m) 1hrs rest total (covered 138m)
8am start 3mph for 13hrs (39m) total (covered 177m)

these guys are covering less than the accepted 190m by using roads where possible and moving at nearer 15m/m (4mph) at times to make this possible, otherwise time lost in negotiating stiles and gates, routefinding etc would soon erode into that 'free' rest hour

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917