The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55081 - 28/04/10 08:14 PM Is Burneside the Dog Dirt Capital?
John Harriso Offline

Just finished the Dalesway yesterday. What a great experience...apart from about a quarter of a mile around the site of the mill in Burneside when we saw more dog dirt per square metre than I've ever seen in my life. It was truely appalling and stomach churning.

#55098 - 29/04/10 08:01 PM Re: Is Burneside the Dog Dirt Capital? [Re: John Harriso]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
John
You are so right.

I hope your posting won't put people off the walk, which I completed this morning. It has great sections.

I'd be interested in your views about the section from Crook Of Lune Bridge to Burneside. I found it "bitty" by comparison with the rest of the route, and route-finding through some of the fields felt tedious. Maybe I was just having a bad few hours - what did you think?

#55122 - 30/04/10 07:14 PM Re: Is Burneside the Dog Dirt Capital? [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Pete,
Its straight forward when you've done it half a dozen times. However, yes its more broken up into shorter sections than most parts earlier on and then again for the last couple of miles. I quite enjoy those sections where you have to be on your toes, rather than long unrelenting tracks that go on for mile after mile.
Doing the lengh of Dentdale in the dark, makes it more interesting too.
Dave.

#55130 - 01/05/10 07:11 AM Re: Is Burneside the Dog Dirt Capital? [Re: John Harriso]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: John Harriso
Just finished the Dalesway yesterday. What a great experience...apart from about a quarter of a mile around the site of the mill in Burneside when we saw more dog dirt per square metre than I've ever seen in my life. It was truely appalling and stomach churning.

Dog muck is becoming the scourge of the countryside these days. Folks take their dogs out, when they need to perform, rather than let them do it in some unobtrusive spot, many now collect it up in small plastic bags and then throw it into hedges, streams etc. I am working all three days this BH and expect to collect up a rather large amount. Unpleasant!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917