The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55226 - 07/05/10 01:31 PM Stuggling for first night accomm
vfrracer Offline

Hi, I am setting off to walk the way on 5th June (South to North). We intend to camp/wild camp as much as we can, and the only place I have not seen any recommended wild camping spots is around Torside/Crowden. I have therefore tried to book into the YHA,Crowden campsite and the Old House B&B but they are all full...(well the Crowden campsite isn't but they force you to book 2 nights and it works out pretty expensive!). Has anyone any suggestions re other places to stay/ wild camping spots in or around that area? It is also making me panic about accommodation as we have not booked anywhere else, as we are not sure of the pace we will be doing, and intend to just find a suitable spot to pitch our tent, which doesn't seem to be a problem further North- is this correct?
Thanks
Kirsty

#55228 - 07/05/10 02:14 PM Re: Stuggling for first night accomm [Re: vfrracer]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Alongside the Longdendale trail there are places you could camp wild.

If you're making your own meals you won't have to bother going west along the trail to Hadfield/Padfield to eat.

And if you are going like a train you'd find a spot north of Laddow Rocks, but that makes it a hard day from Edale and thus not a good idea.

If you need to eat in a pub, go west along the said Trail, fill your belly, then hobble back in your own footsteps as it gets dark and you'll be fine. Depart early before all the cyclists and urinating dogs arrive.

If you still have your wild camping gear as you get further north, you'll find places to camp. People managed fine when the PW was much busier than now.

If you get fed up with the weight and send your tent and sleeping bag home, you might get in a squeeze at weekends, but otherwise OK.

Enjoy it!!

#55230 - 07/05/10 05:14 PM Re: Stuggling for first night accomm [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
As you drop down the ridge off Bleaklow, just before you hit the track alongside the reservoir. There is a nice grassy area as I remember. You should be able to find a spot for an overnight camp if arriving there not too early. If not you could cobble up a spot, just before or after Laddow Rocks.
The other thing is water. After Edale and the bridge at Jacobs Ladder, the next clear water is at Kinder Downfall. When I walked the PW, there had been much rain in the days prior. I did Edale to Standedge in one go and the only clear water after the Downfall was near to Standedge. All the other streams were peat black/brown, and I was fairly dehydrated by the time found that first drinkable water.
Dave.

#55231 - 07/05/10 07:12 PM Re: Stuggling for first night accomm [Re: Slogger]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: Slogger

The other thing is water. After Edale and the bridge at Jacobs Ladder, the next clear water is at Kinder Downfall. When I walked the PW, there had been much rain in the days prior. I did Edale to Standedge in one go and the only clear water after the Downfall was near to Standedge. All the other streams were peat black/brown, and I was fairly dehydrated by the time found that first drinkable water.
Dave.

I've always managed to get excellent clear water near the top of Hern Clough on the way up to Bleaklow.
As the stream valley gets narrow you cross the stream several times and eventually walk up a rocky bed.
Just before that there's a big thick bank of vegetated peaty soil on your right with water flowing out in several places (maybe in only one place when things are exceptionally dry).
I've been drinking this water untreated for years and it is absolutely fine.
I also found plenty of water down by Wessenden Reservoirs, in streams flowing off the moor.

#55248 - 08/05/10 02:00 PM Re: Stuggling for first night accomm [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I drink from streams all the time and walked that area for frequently over the last 53 years. When I did the PW I have never known the stream water there be so Peaty. After the Downfall I was getting desperate for a drink by the time I had reached Black Hill. It was really warm but cloudy and so humid sweat just continually washed down me non stop the first two days before humidity levels dropped.
I chanced a drink of peaty water in Dean Clough before the A635, but immediatly spat it out, it was foul. I decided I would knock the door of a building I could see at the end of Wessenden reservoir, but as approached a switchback over a stream coming down off West Hill, it was clear. Filled my water bottles and had a good guzzle, what a relief. The next stream was again peaty.
Dave.

#55509 - 23/05/10 12:41 AM Re: Stuggling for first night accomm [Re: Slogger]
beefy Offline

Wild camping near Crowden.
There are some good flat areas below Laddow Rocks in the valley and more if you head nearer to the brook in the same valley. These areas are a short distance from the Crowden campsite. You can always call in the campsite shop for provisions if you are not carrying food. This would mean dropping down the hill to the campsite on the road that you are walking on instead of turning left to follow the PW. I would say it's a 10 minute detour there and back. 10 minutes after Laddow Rocks there's a spot right opposite called Castles on the OS map. A lovely flat spot surrounded by boulders. To get to Castles it means leaving the PW dropping down and going up the hill opposite but doesn't take much time at all. A great spot though!

I have just returned from walking the first 40 miles again from Edale with a man who is walking from Lands End to John O'Groats. I haven't been up on the PW since I finished last September and it's extremely dry. It looks like Kinder has not had a good drenching for weeks with the peat troughs all cracking. Kinder Downfall was bone dry, yep not a drop of water. Not even a puddle anywhere.
The first water we came across was on the ascent to Bleaklow and then the stream on the descent.
The first stream you cross ascending the steep part of Laddow Rocks was flowing fine but the second one has dried up. Water is available in all the brooks from Black Hill to Standedge but I think filtering would be best. I drink from them and am still here with no ill effects.

#55519 - 24/05/10 08:27 AM Re: Stuggling for first night accomm [Re: beefy]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
There is an incredible number of Lejoggers (and Joglers) on the Pennine Way this year we have had eight in this week alone 3 on Saturday night (4 if you include Alfie the dog)It is dry up this end as well some Canadian ladies said they had only seen 4 boggy bits all the way along very different from last year.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#55521 - 24/05/10 09:25 AM Re: Stuggling for first night accomm [Re: joyce taylor]
Sentinel Offline

What's the bit over Brownrigg Head like? I remember doing that last year and 1.5 miles took me about an hour and a half!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917