The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56204 - 19/06/10 07:29 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: Oldun
Hi ern. Looking at the calendar, walking it this year will not be possible. We schedule one UK walk per year around the May/June time. As we will all be a bit fitter by then, it would be great to meet up with you and maybe slowcoach. It would be nice to put a face to the forum chat. I think that we will either start or finish in Scarborough owing to train connections to York.

Hi Oldun,
I feel the same about putting a face and a person to the forum chat.
hope I am still fit enough for next year

#56207 - 19/06/10 08:29 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Hi ern. Looking at the calendar, walking it this year will not be possible. We schedule one UK walk per year around the May/June time. As we will all be a bit fitter by then, it would be great to meet up with you and maybe slowcoach. It would be nice to put a face to the forum chat. I think that we will either start or finish in Scarborough owing to train connections to York.

If York is a staging post for you it is worthwhile exploring the Coastliner bus service. There are frequent links between Scarborough and York and Whitby and York (services 840 and 842). Do you have an English bus pass ... if so it is free.

Scalby, Bay, Runswick and Skinningrove all have a regular bus service to hitby and Scarborough (roughly every 30 mins) and Ravenscar has three or four a day to Scarborough. You can Google the timetables.

Also, Ferriby, the start is very easily accessible by train from York. The station is within a short walk of it.

#56271 - 22/06/10 08:39 AM Re: Wolds Way [Re: rogere]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: rogere
I did it, but it was in 1993! I don't think it was very good, as it goes through a lot of agricultural/cultivated land where you are simply following field boundaries. Also, the paths and stiles were often overgrown, resulting in a lot of battling through skin irritating vegetation. The only nice, relatively remote bit was around Thixendale, where there was a semblance of ridge walking. It may have changed since then, but I wouldn't put it high on my list.

I walked it with John Snodgrass in June !976
I made a note in my scrap book, This walk is one that should be done in early spring or late autumn , as you get wet through from the corn and long grass in summer.

#56834 - 30/06/10 07:46 AM Re: Wolds Way [Re: tim smith]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Just a quick query.......is there a recommended baggage service for the YWW? Sherpa have confirmed that they do not do it. If there isn't I'll just have to go for "wear one, carry one" and stink the B&B out.

#56877 - 01/07/10 05:13 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Just a quick query.......is there a recommended baggage service for the YWW? Sherpa have confirmed that they do not do it. If there isn't I'll just have to go for "wear one, carry one" and stink the B&B out.

Yes, they are all listed in the Wolds Way guide, the freebie that I mentioned earlier. I believe there are about 5 operators. I haven't got my copy as I tend to give things like that away to folks that I meet during the day. Will try and get one on Saturday when I start work.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917