The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55777 - 06/06/10 04:47 PM Wolds Way
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Any one done the Yorkshire Wolds Way ?

#55804 - 07/06/10 11:47 AM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
rogere Offline

Loc: UK
I did it, but it was in 1993! I don't think it was very good, as it goes through a lot of agricultural/cultivated land where you are simply following field boundaries. Also, the paths and stiles were often overgrown, resulting in a lot of battling through skin irritating vegetation. The only nice, relatively remote bit was around Thixendale, where there was a semblance of ridge walking. It may have changed since then, but I wouldn't put it high on my list.

#55806 - 07/06/10 01:33 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: rogere]
Oldun Offline

Thanks rogere

#55809 - 07/06/10 04:04 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I did the Wolds way about 5 years ago, although I worked on the development of it for the Countryside Commission (my picture is in the official booklet, so be warned if you buy it).

It is a very rural walk with only a couple of short steep sections. It is split evenly between rural countryside and the Yorkshire Wolds (hence, would you believe, its name). Funnily enough, most of the people that complete it thoroughly enjoy it, chiefly because it is different to the traditional idea of remote walking (The Pennine Way etc). You could complete it seeing very few other walkers ... which may be part of the enjoyment. You can, of course, continue from Filey and complete part of the coastal section of the Cleveland Way if you wish.

It is an enjoyable walk as it takes you through some interesting villages and you pass some good pubs en route (and decent tea shops). There is a booklet on it which details accommodation and transport, available by pot from the North York Moors office in Helmsley.

I have no hesitation in recommending it as a change from the hills. As it is a National Trail the paths and stiles are now OK as there is a full time trail officer maintaining them. The people who have responded to the surveys about it have all enjoyed it.

#55814 - 07/06/10 07:26 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

Hi slowcoach. Do you have an ISBN number of the best guide book for this trail. As you have done it the most recently, do you have any pointers on the best places to stay ?

#55815 - 07/06/10 08:16 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Obviously there is no competition as regards books, you must get the one with my picture in. The trouble is that they are now selling on Ebay for a three figure sum (1.25)

Seriously, the best one (in my opinion) is the HMSO guidebook "The Wolds Way" by Roger Ratcliffe. This comes complete with OS strip maps and a detailed guide. ISBN 0 11 700899 0

There is a free booklet about the walk which gives accommodation en route, accessibility, watering holes, camp sites, bus availability etc Available from most local Tourist Information centres or
The Wolds Way Officer
North York Moors National Park
Old Vicarage
Bondgate
Helmsley
YO56 4BP

This was produced as a result of one of the National Trail surveys and gives non locals most of the info that they need (excluding maps etc).

It is about 80 miles long and takes really between 5 and 7 days to do (sorry Slogger, 90 minutes and 7 days!)

As I said before you can extend it directly onto the Cleveland way and follow the coast to Scarborough, Whitby and Saltburn before it turns inland.

Some of the pubs are first class and there is a lot of history on the way (Google Goodmanham church. There are good views but not high mountains of course.

#55845 - 08/06/10 04:25 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

slowcoach. Is it possible that you could let me have the telephone number or email address of the office in Helmsley. Amazon will not ship this book out to me.

#55860 - 08/06/10 10:20 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

No problem.

01439 770657 (plus the prefix for England whatever that is) and ask for Malcolm Hodgson the Wold's Way Officer.

His email address is
[email protected]

#55945 - 10/06/10 04:42 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

slowcoach. Am in contact with the office. All seems to be ok. Thanks

#56071 - 16/06/10 12:33 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
Oldun Offline

Hi slowcoach. My Wolds Way book arrived today. Looks interesting. Am curious to know on which page is your photo?

#56083 - 16/06/10 09:29 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

I am in the David Rubenstein book. Is this the one that you bought? (DR was the originator of the walk).

The proposed route was subdivided into sections. Each section was given to a small group (of 2 in my case) who had to walk the different paths between the terminal points of it, talk to the landowners and suggest a final route.

My section was between Thixendale and Settrington. We suggested the route through the deserted mediaeval village of Wharram Percy (which was accepted after a long fight) and through Burdale, which wasn't, after a long fight with a powerful landowner.

#56097 - 16/06/10 11:29 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
I am in the David Rubenstein book. Is this the one that you bought? (DR was the originator of the walk).

The proposed route was subdivided into sections. Each section was given to a small group (of 2 in my case) who had to walk the different paths between the terminal points of it, talk to the landowners and suggest a final route.

My section was between Thixendale and Settrington. We suggested the route through the deserted mediaeval village of Wharram Percy (which was accepted after a long fight) and through Burdale, which wasn't, after a long fight with a powerful landowner.

I think these powerfull land owners have a lot of pull with some Parish Councillors.

#56108 - 17/06/10 01:14 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: tim smith]
Oldun Offline

Hi slowcoach. The book I've been sent is by Roger Ratcliffe and looks fairly complete, i.e., no need for OS maps, although the appropriate map numbers are given.

#56122 - 17/06/10 06:52 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

Hi Slowcoach
I have David Rubensteins Wolds way book some where.
A walking companion and I walked it before it was opened.
the book came out before all the route was offical.
I know at the time we had a problem or two, but still enjoyed it even with all the rain. could tell you a few tales about that walk that stays in the memory.

#56145 - 18/06/10 09:36 AM Re: Wolds Way [Re: tim smith]
slowcoach Offline

Where you part of the group filmed by Yorkshire Televisual trying to gain access up Welton Dale? I remember along with me, there was Geof Mell, Frank Nunnez? and several others. Faced by the gamekeeper with a couple of Alsations baring their teeth at us we were very careful in what we did!

No chance of the path being opened easily until the landowner was succeeded by his son who, having been to agricultural college, was far more inclined to allow public access.

Were you on the official opening? There is a picture in his book showing his speech.

#56158 - 18/06/10 02:46 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

Where you part of the group filmed by Yorkshire Televisual trying to gain access up Welton Dale? I remember along with me, there was Geof Mell, Frank Nunnez? and several others. Faced by the gamekeeper with a couple of Alsations baring their teeth at us we were very careful in what we did!

No chance of the path being opened easily until the landowner was succeeded by his son who, having been to agricultural college, was far more inclined to allow public access.

Were you on the official opening? There is a picture in his book showing his speech.

Hi Slowcoach ,
no we were not at the offical Opening, it is long time ago when we walked it, and as far as I can remember there were sections that were still being negotiated, at least we found places that
the landowners would not allow access, so we walked a bit on the roads.
I walked it with John Snodgrass, a walking companion on many a long distance walk.
John was the head cook and keen photographer. have looked in my scrap book, but seem to have not written any thing up about, have some good photo's taken by John.
seem to have lost the book as well.
have walked many sections since,
Happy Memories.

#56159 - 18/06/10 03:04 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

Slowcoach,
looking through the post's again, I see you mention going on to Scarborough at the finish, when we walked it, it started at Filey and finished at the Humber.
Does the new book advocate starting at the Humber.
Oldun,
do you intend walking it this year , if so which way will you walk it,
might like to join you for a section if that is O.K., say around Millington.

#56160 - 18/06/10 04:05 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: tim smith]
slowcoach Offline

Both of my books, Ratcliffe and Rubenstein, show the route from Ferriby to Filey. Although, to be strictly accurate to the East Riding/North Riding county boundary 2 km along the coast north west from Filey. When the Cleveland Way was extended to Filey it was decided to make them both finish at the Brigg, marking the spot with a commemorative stone.

I suggested to Oldun that, being nobbut a spring chicken, if he fancied making it longer he could continue on the first part of the CW as far as he wanted.

Was the Ian Carstairs who spoke against your footpath the very same IC who worked for the national park promoting outdoor activities. If so its a definite case of NIMBYism. Makes a good living out of outdoor photography now I hear. "Come and explore the oudoors, but not near me"

#56173 - 18/06/10 10:55 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

Both of my books, Ratcliffe and Rubenstein, show the route from Ferriby to Filey. Although, to be strictly accurate to the East Riding/North Riding county boundary 2 km along the coast north west from Filey. When the Cleveland Way was extended to Filey it was decided to make them both finish at the Brigg, marking the spot with a commemorative stone.

I suggested to Oldun that, being nobbut a spring chicken, if he fancied making it longer he could continue on the first part of the CW as far as he wanted.

Was the Ian Carstairs who spoke against your footpath the very same IC who worked for the national park promoting outdoor activities. If so its a definite case of NIMBYism. Makes a good living out of outdoor photography now I hear. "Come and explore the oudoors, but not near me"

Yes it could be the same, he successfully organised a group of people to stop navigation on the river Derwent above Stamford Bridge.
he is building a centre at Wheldrake to introduce young people to bird watching.
they can only use the RSPB paths and hides on this site that the RSPB own. They can use the PROW
there is trust named after him.also he was Honoured for some preservation work maybe to do with Wheldrke Ings
the things he has got people to do to try and stop locals walking! I do not know if I have mentioned on this site, but since he has come on the scene, 3 haughling bridges have been destroyed plus 2 over the River Derwent,
one has been replaced lower down stream so that it is not on the line of a claimed PROW.
things get quite frustrating for ann old codger like me.
he can put what objects he likes he won't stop me walking!
the Old Darren at SE 6945 445 has been dredged out to allow water to back up to try and stop people walking.
when I got onto English Nature, they said it has been dredged out regulary to drain the low grounds but when you look on google they have never dredged it as far as they have this year.

#56179 - 19/06/10 07:39 AM Re: Wolds Way [Re: tim smith]
Oldun Offline

Hi ern. Looking at the calendar, walking it this year will not be possible. We schedule one UK walk per year around the May/June time. As we will all be a bit fitter by then, it would be great to meet up with you and maybe slowcoach. It would be nice to put a face to the forum chat. I think that we will either start or finish in Scarborough owing to train connections to York.

#56204 - 19/06/10 07:29 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
tim smith Offline

Originally Posted By: Oldun
Hi ern. Looking at the calendar, walking it this year will not be possible. We schedule one UK walk per year around the May/June time. As we will all be a bit fitter by then, it would be great to meet up with you and maybe slowcoach. It would be nice to put a face to the forum chat. I think that we will either start or finish in Scarborough owing to train connections to York.

Hi Oldun,
I feel the same about putting a face and a person to the forum chat.
hope I am still fit enough for next year

#56207 - 19/06/10 08:29 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

If York is a staging post for you it is worthwhile exploring the Coastliner bus service. There are frequent links between Scarborough and York and Whitby and York (services 840 and 842). Do you have an English bus pass ... if so it is free.

Scalby, Bay, Runswick and Skinningrove all have a regular bus service to hitby and Scarborough (roughly every 30 mins) and Ravenscar has three or four a day to Scarborough. You can Google the timetables.

Also, Ferriby, the start is very easily accessible by train from York. The station is within a short walk of it.

#56271 - 22/06/10 08:39 AM Re: Wolds Way [Re: rogere]
tim smith Offline

Originally Posted By: rogere
I did it, but it was in 1993! I don't think it was very good, as it goes through a lot of agricultural/cultivated land where you are simply following field boundaries. Also, the paths and stiles were often overgrown, resulting in a lot of battling through skin irritating vegetation. The only nice, relatively remote bit was around Thixendale, where there was a semblance of ridge walking. It may have changed since then, but I wouldn't put it high on my list.

I walked it with John Snodgrass in June !976
I made a note in my scrap book, This walk is one that should be done in early spring or late autumn , as you get wet through from the corn and long grass in summer.

#56834 - 30/06/10 07:46 AM Re: Wolds Way [Re: tim smith]
Oldun Offline

Just a quick query.......is there a recommended baggage service for the YWW? Sherpa have confirmed that they do not do it. If there isn't I'll just have to go for "wear one, carry one" and stink the B&B out.

#56877 - 01/07/10 05:13 PM Re: Wolds Way [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Just a quick query.......is there a recommended baggage service for the YWW? Sherpa have confirmed that they do not do it. If there isn't I'll just have to go for "wear one, carry one" and stink the B&B out.

Yes, they are all listed in the Wolds Way guide, the freebie that I mentioned earlier. I believe there are about 5 operators. I haven't got my copy as I tend to give things like that away to folks that I meet during the day. Will try and get one on Saturday when I start work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917