The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43915 - 06/11/08 05:36 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Stottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Stottie
"Did't you feel like you missed something of what its all about by walking so fast in such a short time ?"

I know this question isn't aimed at me, and I hope you won't be offended that I'm 'chipping in'.
I've frequently found that once I get going on a long walk it's impossible to slow down. Some kind of demon seems to drive me on, as if I have to prove that I still can 'do it'.
Adapting a famous quotation, "You don't take a walk: a walk takes you".

I agree, but never thought of it as a demon, more that everyone has their own pace ( whether 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 miles per hour ) and their own preferred hours per day walking, hence the great variation in the regular distance covered daily by different walkers.

#56012 - 14/06/10 12:15 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Lounge Lizard]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
We have a lady staying with us tonight and going to Kirk Yetholm tommorrow who is on course for finishing in 8 days her knees have suffered a bit but she is in remarkable shape considering the milage she has been putting in.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#56020 - 14/06/10 08:56 AM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: joyce taylor]
Sentinel Offline

The problem with doing that sort of mileage every day is that you miss it all. You don't get a chance to stop and admire the view, visit places en-route or have a lie in. I'm not knocking what she has done - fair play to her, good effort. But the speed she will have had to have walked will mean a lot of the scenery will have passed her by.

#56031 - 14/06/10 06:23 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: joyce taylor
We have a lady staying with us tonight and going to Kirk Yetholm tommorrow who is on course for finishing in 8 days her knees have suffered a bit but she is in remarkable shape considering the milage she has been putting in.

Joyce,
Any details regarding her age etc, was she going solo, obviously B&B or camping too?
A fantastic effort which ever way she does it. I know it has been walked by a few in as little as 7 days. I think 9 days is fast enough for me.
Dave.

#56037 - 14/06/10 08:12 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: Sentinel]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Sentinel
The problem with doing that sort of mileage every day is that you miss it all. You don't get a chance to stop and admire the view, visit places en-route or have a lie in. I'm not knocking what she has done - fair play to her, good effort. But the speed she will have had to have walked will mean a lot of the scenery will have passed her by.

People tend to see what interests them on a walk. A keen ornithologist may see over 40 species of birds (so I am told) whereas I see colourful fluttery things, big black jobs and ducks.

How many people, like me, on the PW have stopped to see the Beacon Guards Grave 200m off the main route or deviated to include the summit of Fountains Fell, explored the Padon Monument, or finished off on the high level route?? Not doing these things, however, does not detracted from their enjoyment.

I am sure that she saw many things that I would miss, but also missed many things that I would have seen. Her pleasure, I would imagine, is speed walking. In my opinion, this is just another valid usage of a national trail.

#56038 - 14/06/10 08:55 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Her name is Kym Hatala I think she is 49 (sorry Kym if that is not accurate but it`s not polite to ask a lady her age but I`m sure Dave said you were 49)I have just heard she did make it into Kirk Yetholm despite a Knee injury. Nothing could have stopped her on the last lap.Her friend was meeting her every night but she was walking it solo.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#56059 - 15/06/10 08:44 PM Re: 9 Day Pennine Way Detailed. [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well good for her. She was probably just carrying a daysac, given that she had her friends support, but like me she is no spring chicken (sorry Kim if you read this.) just shows what us oldies can still do!
Dave.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917