The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61112 - 28/04/11 05:45 PM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: joyce taylor]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
Thanks Joyce & Colin, I really hope so this time, don't want to be falling over again on the first day!!

#61395 - 15/05/11 12:37 AM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: Slogger]
DOUGALSMUM Offline

Loc: u.k
Does anybody know of a company that does a GUIDED PW, or anybody planning to do it in 2012 that wouldnt mind a walking companion?
The Pennine way is an itch that I have to scratch, but I dont think my navigational skills are up to it,plus cant find any of my friends who want to come along(they all think I am certifiably insane LOL)

#61396 - 15/05/11 01:16 AM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: DOUGALSMUM]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Generally speaking if you start at Edale any weekend late May/early june you should find someone to walk with or at least to keep directing you onto the right path. 2012 is a long way off why don`t you use the time to do a course to polish your skills then you don`t need to depend on anyone.Doing it once is far from insane we have a couple in tonight who are about to complete their 4th Pennine way as part of the Lands end to John O groats that they promised themselves when they retired.And in a couple of weeks Nic will be back for his (approx) 13th go.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#61400 - 15/05/11 11:42 AM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: DOUGALSMUM]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: DOUGALSMUM
Does anybody know of a company that does a GUIDED PW, or anybody planning to do it in 2012 that wouldnt mind a walking companion?
The Pennine way is an itch that I have to scratch, but I dont think my navigational skills are up to it,plus cant find any of my friends who want to come along(they all think I am certifiably insane LOL)

Generally speaking (and from my experience at leading walks), joining an unknown group to do any long distance walk can be quite traumatic. You inevitably get those who find the pace too slow and steam on ahead to the disdain of the slower ones or those who find the whole effort far too much and crawl along like a ruptured snail!

Only a few weeks ago I lead a charity walk. What a disaster it was. There were so many variations as to what a walk should be that we spread out over half a mile on a six mile course!

As Joyce so wisely states, find yourself a basic map reading course (most National Parks run at least one). Or, join a local walking group where you can pick up the skills yourself. You might even meet someone who is also looking for a companion there. I find that I can alwaysscratch an itch quite successfully myself .... but others just can't seem to do it for me ....

#61403 - 15/05/11 12:32 PM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
As SC says a group walk can be frustrating not only for different walkers abilities but especially for the leader, trying to keep control of the thing.
What I tend to do is lead from the middle and control those that want to stretch out ahead, by having lots of short stops, so the tailenders can catch up at their pace.
I would suggest that if someone answers your call, you should go on a few walks with them beforehand, not only to compare pace and comfortable daily distance, but to see if you get on with each other.
I know of walking partners that got on well when doing their day walks, but didn't when each other face on multi day trips.
Dave.

#61405 - 15/05/11 05:52 PM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

The problem that I faced a few weeks ago was that some of the assembled mass came to do a "sponsored walk" not a walk! They had decided that it would take under 3 hours so they had planned alternative activities for the afternoon. The result, they shot off, unwilling to stop for lunch (which was in the program), listen to my stories (which you can't blame them for) or wait for anyone marginally slower who was walking behind them. As there were knocking on 100 participants it was quite a line that stretched out in front and behind me! Never again!

#61406 - 15/05/11 05:54 PM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

17 days away from Blackpool! Shall I tell you where you can see the tower whilst you are away if you get all nostalgic?

Enjoy the walk and have a fantastic experience.

#61407 - 15/05/11 07:03 PM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well according to his itinerary Mick should be with Joyce in Byrness by now, with his last day tomorrow so we should soon hear about it all.
Dave.

#61409 - 15/05/11 07:58 PM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Yes he is here, he is fed and watered (well perhaps not watered) and looking forward to his marathon day tommorrow.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#61414 - 16/05/11 08:47 AM Re: Pennine Way 2011 [Re: joyce taylor]
Sentinel Offline

Dougal - have you ever done a long distance path before? What sort of walking have you done?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917