The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56302 - 23/06/10 05:20 PM Just Finished!!
omario7 Offline

Ok got home last night! i started on the 12th and got back on the 22nd! 11 days walking! this is my first walk ever! i have never walked befor apart from afew times to college! i found that the pennine way was more mentally challenging than physically, mostly because on the 6 or 7 day i just really felt home sick! for me the easyist day was dufton to greenhead! and the hardest was the last day bellingham to kirk yetholm! only because it was so hot and i walked for 13 miles with no water!!!

as experienced what do you think of my achievement?

#56304 - 23/06/10 05:31 PM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: omario7]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
You walked for 11 days, but did Bellingham through to Kirk Yetholme in one go, a total of 43.5 miles and this was your first ever walk!? Yeah okay.
Dave.

#56305 - 23/06/10 05:55 PM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: Slogger]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
if you are telling the truth 'great effort', but at no point is dufton to alston described as an easy day, so ad anther 18 miles to it and your in fantasy land......

#56307 - 23/06/10 05:57 PM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: Slogger]
omario7 Offline

slogger! first of all you are one of the resons i wanted to do the pennine way! so thanks! and yeh it started off as a normal pace! then it picked up because i just wanted to get home so bad!!

edale to Standedge

standedge to hebden bridge

hebden bridge to cowling

cowling to malham

malham to hawes

hawes to keld

keld to langdon beck

langdon beck to dufton

dufton to greenhead

greenhead to bellingham

bellingham to kirk yethohlme!

if u wanted to know how old i am, i am 18 and my mate is 19 who came with me!

for me walking is walking there really is no skill involved! just the drive to see new places and get to the other side!

#56309 - 23/06/10 07:17 PM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: omario7]
Slogger Offline

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, for now anyway. As with Nick, it seemed hard to believe that that a first time walker could do 43 miles including the Cheviots in one day, especially after already doing over 220 miles.
Your itinary starts with a long day to Standedge, then goes at a reasonably easy pace as far as Dufton then gets long again.
How long did the last day take you and were you B&B, hosteling or camping.
Dave.

#56312 - 23/06/10 07:31 PM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: Slogger]
omario7 Offline

i swear down its true!
we stayed at youth hostel in dufton, set off at 5am, got to alston at 12 in the afternoon and getting to greenhead at 7.30pm .

bunk barn in bellingham setting off at 3am, arriving in byrness at 8am and kirk yetholme at 8pm

#56313 - 23/06/10 07:51 PM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: omario7]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Don't be surprised at the incredulity you're encountering.

At the end of my first PW trip when I was 16, I and my colleagues met a guy who had taken 7 days from Edale to Kirk Yetholm. We couldn't believe it - we'd taken 13 days and found it hard going.

This guy was probably about the same age as you. He didn't look like a hardened walker, but his story hung together. He and his pal had carried sleeping bags and some kind of bivvy bag, and they'd snatched sleep in any place they could shelter from the weather.

They were both cross-country runners as well as hillwalkers. They must have had a lot more stamina than we had. I must say that anyone who can do that in such a short time is a heck of an athlete, all the more so when it's their first such venture. If I were running the "PW Book of Records" I'd want to see some evidence, but I know people are sometimes capable of prodigious feats that amaze other people.

Well - I suspect you have some convincing of the doubters still to do, so why not write it up and let us know where we can read more. We're all "junkies" for this kind of thing, so do share the detail with us, please.

#56321 - 24/06/10 08:45 AM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: omario7]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: omario7
i swear down its true!
we stayed at youth hostel in dufton, set off at 5am, got to alston at 12 in the afternoon and getting to greenhead at 7.30pm .

bunk barn in bellingham setting off at 3am, arriving in byrness at 8am and kirk yetholme at 8pm

Your timings and pacing certainly hold up, so very, very well done. You must have some background fitness even though you say this was your first walk.
Your comment about there being 'No skill' in walking does show some naivety, perhaps skill is a misused word and 'Technique' is more appropriate. Its a bit like swimming or running, most can do it but some can do it faster and further and better than others.
What's your next walking challenge?
Dave.

#56327 - 24/06/10 10:44 AM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
A lady called Kym Hatala comleted in 8 days on 14/6/10 but her days were much more evenly split and she got stamps and signatures of acommodation all the way up to satisfy her sponsors.She was the fittest person I have ever met and I see lots of pennine wayers and lejoggers.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#56346 - 24/06/10 06:02 PM Re: Just Finished!! [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Traveling light it can be done. The record is approximately 2.5 days, running and supported and off course by someone who hasn't yet reached their 60th year.
Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917