The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1682
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35948 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56624 - 27/06/10 09:19 PM CLOSING GATES !
HolmeParkFarm Offline

Could someone please tell me why walkers DONT close gates ? every week one of my field gates is left open allowing livestock onto the road and as you can imagine this is becoming very frustrating ! not only that but i have had dry stone walls ruined, rubbish left and water stolen from my yard (we are on a private water spring and have had to buy water for at least the last 2 months at a cost of £200 every 2 weeks !!) please please please pass the message on, "if your out walking SHUT Gates properly !!!!!, use stiles provided and take your rubbish with you !

#56628 - 27/06/10 10:34 PM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: HolmeParkFarm]
Dargie25 Offline

I appreciate this upsets you, but ranting on a small forum like this really isn't going to help you.

#56629 - 27/06/10 10:35 PM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: HolmeParkFarm]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Why not have a word with your local rights of way officer? Whilst you will be aware that you have a legal duty to maintain gates and stiles etc on rights of way, most councils will either undertake it for you or heavily subsidise the work, especially if a recognised walk passes over your property. If they are willing you can ask for a self-closing gate to be installed. The mechanism is set slightly at an angle and, when opened, it drops back down into the shut position. It can be used on bridle gates, kissing gates and fieldgates with equal success.

There is no excuse for any walker destroying any of your property, stealing stuff or leaving litter (or any other type of undesirable behaviour at all). I can't condone this at all. But, if this results from having a promoted walk through your property then the council must suggest remedies. Contact them and let us know the result.

#56634 - 28/06/10 09:00 AM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: slowcoach]
Sentinel Offline

Also, try contacting the people who run the Dales Way Association:

http://www.dalesway.org.uk/

Put up signs telling people what is happening and asking people to shut gates properly. There is no excuse for not shutting gates, but sometimes a simple reminder in pretty blunt language is required.

#56713 - 28/06/10 06:03 PM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: Sentinel]
sjwato Offline

Loc: Bridlington, East Yorkshire
I remember walking passed Holme Park Farm (assuming itís the one just west of the M6). I was attacked by a loose dog. The owner was ďat homeĒ but made no attempt to control the mutt. I had to fight it off with my walking pole, but eventually escaped unscathed.

I got the distinct impression that the owners were anti-walker, with paths in the vicinity only grudgingly complying with the law. Perhaps the acknowledgement of othersí rights and the acceptance of responsibilities is a two way process.

#56716 - 28/06/10 07:46 PM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: sjwato]
Dargie25 Offline

#56717 - 28/06/10 08:15 PM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: Dargie25]
Dargie25 Offline

The original version of the story captured by google cache, apparently altered a few days later for some reason, note the additional information about a mastif type dog on Holme Park farm.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3BttKhuBStMJ:www.dalesway.org.uk/news.cfm%3Fcategory_id%3D61%26id%3D83+%22holme+park+farm%22+dogs&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

#56750 - 29/06/10 01:26 PM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: Dargie25]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
The problem for farmers and walker come to that, is that with the change in the 'Country Code', if anyone leaves a gate open, then walkers coming by afterwards will also leave that gate open in order to comply. The rule used to be to 'close' all gates but know it is 'leave' as you find, as farmers often open gates to allow wildstock to wander into other fields, or so that he can return on his tractor without getting off twice to see to the gate.
Dave.

#57212 - 15/07/10 05:50 PM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: ]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: frankene
pass by
Now that what I call a really interesting informative post!
If like other muggers on here, you are just out to advertise your DVDs, then please go away we not interested.
Dave.

#60472 - 27/03/11 04:11 AM Re: CLOSING GATES ! [Re: HolmeParkFarm]
amy001
Unregistered

We know thisThe Tribe DVD stuff already. We know that the "dissemination of ideas to win" and that "if you fit in, you will help potential customers to leave you." But you forget. Minute you step out of the way up and become 'established' businesses, we are satisfied, and weThe Office DVD will intervene and much easier to steal a competitive market segment.Seth Godin reminds us that it was a passion that inspires the entrepreneurial spirit and passion that will bring tribal followers, if we want to simplify our operations. Tribe is a fast read, and supports Prison Break DVDthe mental it.Today is Monday, time to check a book on social media, today, my choice is Tribes: We need you to bring Usby Seth Godin. I tell you that I am a big fan of Seth Godin, and regularly read his blog, but my friend has read this bookTwo And A Half Men DVD and says that nothing new, so I was a bit 'reluctant to read. But readers committed to reading a book a week, so here I am. So you might think, but this is not social media, and you are wrong. Why? Tribes is about leadership, Seth described it as "a group of people connected to each other, which is connectedSopranos DVD to the head, and attached to this idea." This player is what social networking is all about.Your Facebook page is an idea that you're a manager, on Twitter, tweet you ideas and thoughts as a leader and you have followers - see what I mean?So for me, this book is one, instead of talking about Facebook, etc., may be along the grass roots and talks about leadership, what it is and what it does.
----------------
Buy Cheap DVD
The Tribe DVD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917