The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56005 - 13/06/10 10:08 PM West Highland Way - Buddies wanted
Nomad Offline

Hi All,

I live in Windsor (Berkshire) and have always wanted to spend a few days lost in the West Highland way. No mobile, a tent, a backpack, some dry food and maybe a cask of red wine (I'm French) smile

The perfect plan would be that after I posted this words, I get contacted by cool walkers in search of a trip out of the rat race but tips would also be more than welcome as I know very little about this amazing area. You might already be planning the trip so if there's a slot for a party crasher, I'll also be happy to know about it.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Enjoy the outdoors
Khaemis

#56908 - 03/07/10 05:23 PM Re: West Highland Way - Buddies wanted [Re: Nomad]
Faraz Offline

If I could take any more holidays this year I would! If you're looking for tips/advice, it may help to know about mistakes other people made. I tried to walk the Way in a very short space of time last year (3 1/2 days) but didn't manage to finish. My account may help you with setting yourself a target of how long to take and noticing potential pitfalls! http://lsots.blogspot.com/2009/11/west-highland-way.html

#56914 - 04/07/10 12:54 PM Re: West Highland Way - Buddies wanted [Re: Faraz]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
You tried, but failed, so what, it is all good experience and the main thing is you attempted something that few would contemplate.
Just one point though, for a 3/4 day backpacking trip your sacs looked rather large and full. My wild camping sac weight for that length of time, inc water and food would be around 16lbs. Anything over 30 lbs seriously starts to slow the pace and inevitably leads to less daily mileage.
Dave.

#56921 - 04/07/10 05:16 PM Re: West Highland Way - Buddies wanted [Re: Slogger]
Faraz Offline

Too true. Next time, we'll probably opt for lighter packs and take a little longer or have them transported between stops. We had trouble with the weight of our packs because (a) our stoves/tents etc weren't too lightweight (b) we'd overpacked a little, and (c) everything was soaked and therefore heavier.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917