The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57164 - 13/07/10 08:33 PM Pennine Way first timer
loneranger Offline

I will be doing the Pennine Way in just under 3 weeks! Not only it is the first time I will have attemped it, it's also the first long distance path I have done. I'm doing it alone and have allowed myself 14 days in total, all my accommadation is sorted (mainly campsites) and everything is ready to go.

I cant help thinking im going to struggle with the walk. I consider myself quite fit as I do a lot of running and spend many weekends roaming around the peak district but I have not done any long distance walking (15miles and over) with a full pack for ages due to finding the time. I have 2 weekends left before I go which I'll use to get some practice in.

Does anybody out there have any advice for a first timer?? Anything would be greatly appreciated smile

#57175 - 14/07/10 01:12 AM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: loneranger]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
My two tips are:

Get the pack weight down. There are a couple of active threads on this in other topics on this site.

Don't overdo it. I find that, as with all endurance?! activities you need to pace yourself. If you overdo it on any day then you will pay for it the next. Do this a couple of times and you will fail to finish. If you have a long day to get through, then start early and finish late and maintain your normal pace.

#57176 - 14/07/10 07:36 AM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: MarkF]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Drink lots of water. Snack regularly, don't feast occasionally.

The mind goes before the body so win the mental battles, particularly when you are tired, wet and fed up.

Enjoy every bit of it. When you finish note, not if but when you will be part of an elite group!

We did it in 14 days. There will be some long days but as Mark says, pace yourself and be prepared for some early starts and late ends.

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!

#57182 - 14/07/10 11:44 AM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: Kate's Dad]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
I echo the other two posts.
I would say the most important things to enjoy your successful trip rather it become a grind are:-

1. Be frugal, take only what you WILL need and not what you MAY
need.
2. Carry no more than a pack weight of 35lbs inc water.
3. Start each day as early as possible and no later than 8am, 7am
even better.
4. Get through the first 3 or 4 days and you can look forward to
feeling better from there on.
5. Above all keep a positive mental attitude, you will be a high
for a long time following your success and you will always
remember it.
Dave.

#57199 - 15/07/10 11:26 AM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: Slogger]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
The key point as others have stated is packweight.
Throw out everything that is optional.
Spare clothes should only be enough to keep you warm in the worst weather that you are likely to encounter,so check the advance weather forecast.If you get a complete soaking for 2 days running,book in a hostel to dry out.Towel is not essential,as you can just dry naturally,or take a couple of J-cloths.
Torch is'nt required in summer,use light on your mobile.
Stove,fuel,pots and pans are too heavy and bulky,so in summer just go for cold food,and eat in pubs and cafes,for which the PW is quite well supplied.
Camel up and over hydrate with fluid at start of each day,so you carry minimum water,based on the day's temperature,as this is the heaviest weight variable.
Reload with simple carbohydrates every couple of hours,otherwise burning fats instead makes the walking very gruelling,and will impact your condition for the following day.Eat some carbohydrate as soon as you stop walking in the evening,rather than waiting two hours or more,as this speeds up the body's recovery.
Ensure your footwear is well worn in and very comfortable,wet or dry. Walking on any blisters is painful and will destroy your mileage targets.
Finally, good luck!
Alan F

#57310 - 20/07/10 05:36 PM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: Alan F]
loneranger Offline

Thanks for the advice guys. Managed a 20 mile hike on Saturday which went well but I didnt take my full pack weight with me for that one. Off again this weekend for my final practice session and I'll be taking everything with me this time. I seem to have got my weight down to a minimum and I think i'm happy with it, this weekend will sort that out!

It's been a great help reading all the posts on here. I shall be sure to post my experiences when I get back from KY in a couple of weeks :-)

#57313 - 20/07/10 06:13 PM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: loneranger]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
look forward to reading them, good luck and fair weather!!

#59266 - 30/12/10 11:25 PM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: walkanddrink]
midgetarget Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
These are the things I've learnt from my long distance walking experiences.

Get a waterproof bag for inside your rucksack. Rucksacks aren't waterproof and the last thing you want to happen is for your clothes to get wet.

Blister patches such as Compeed are good to carry with you.

Walking poles are a must. Saves stress on your knees and helps more than you would think....trust me!

Personally, I'de forget a stove and all the parafanailia that goes with it, save the weight and head for the nearest pub for steak and chips...but that's personal choice.

The PW is signposted but it can be a bit cryptic at times. Take maps and a guidebook...or GPS. Don't assume there'll be a sign at every turn 'cos there aint.

Don't assume you'll have enough energy at the end of every day to go for a run (which I naively did, when I walked the PW) 'cos you'll be so tired you probably won't make it to the shower.

Take some dubbing or wax for your boots 'cos wet boots aint fun. It causes blisters.

Don't put Helly Hansen tops in tumble driers. I know, I know! Lost three of them in Machynleth on Glyndwr's Way. Not good.

Midgetarget

#59271 - 31/12/10 07:52 AM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: midgetarget]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
"Walking poles are a must. Saves stress on your knees and helps more than you would think....trust me!"

I've stocked up with peanuts and Black Sheep and sit and await the forthcoming debate with anticipation .............

(PS. I agree)

#59276 - 31/12/10 05:36 PM Re: Pennine Way first timer [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
"Walking poles are a must. Saves stress on your knees and helps more than you would think....trust me!"

I've stocked up with peanuts and Black Sheep and sit and await the forthcoming debate with anticipation .............
(PS. I agree)

Right where do I start..............!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917