The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1685
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35966 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57353 - 22/07/10 09:33 PM Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200.
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Your chance to get one of the lightest tents from one of the best manufacturers.
http://www.nevisport.com/catdetail-4-catdetail1_id-72-catdetail2_id-103-product_id-421022

Dave.

#57360 - 23/07/10 06:54 AM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
It is worthwhile checking to see whether a Nevisport shop will get it for you at this price as they offer 10% discount to almost all clubs (YHA, Ramblers, Camping and Caravanning Club, Local Authority employees). Most stores, such as York, offer it quite openly. A very few you have to threaten to go elsewhere before they relent. (Check on the phone first).

#57364 - 23/07/10 12:11 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Good link Dave!
I suppose as these appeal to the weight concsious, customers are going for the Photon Elite (660/720) - dealers who stocked up on the earlier versions will be keen to move them on,
cheers
lwm

#57386 - 24/07/10 05:43 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Yes I think you are right Mick. It is quite a specific market that these tents are aimed at, and manufactured for. Short term shelter, i.e. one or two nights. They are not designed for a two week backpacking trip, more for the Mountain Marathoner squeezing in with his mate for one uncomfortable night.
Dave.

#57393 - 25/07/10 02:54 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: Slogger]

...good mates at that - and well focused!
On the subject of 'uncomfortable' - my Pacific Outdoor UberLite has arrived (not from Hike-Lite after all... the Outdoor Shop had 1 left at sale price of 25) - tried it out Friday night. Though shorter it offers more comfort that the cut down Ridgrest ie. a bit more padding for the hips and upper back, but it moved about a lot, and as it's a small footprint I kept waking up half off it... ha ha... so now I need to add some kind of non-slip stuff, or use something less slippy as a groundsheet than the poly-io. To be fair I may have over-inflated the thing as it's a while since I've used a self-inflator. Legs were a bit chilly too with only the RAB top and plastic poncho underneath, so I'll look at something that secures the Uber and gives a bit more insulation for the legs...
Anyway, next week's window of opportunity seems to be slipping away now...
cheers
mick

#57396 - 25/07/10 08:43 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: lightweightmick]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
You could try painting stripes of diluted silicon sealer across the bottom of the uberlite or on the ground sheet material. This seems to be a commonly recommended solution for slippery silnylon floors.

#57400 - 26/07/10 05:23 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: MarkF]
Slogger Offline

I often end up part off my TR, sometimes pressing quite hard up against the side off the tent inner too, although it's never become a problem. I just sort it out when I wake up, but when you are knacked, you tend sleep through a bit of discomfort anyway.
Dave.

#57402 - 26/07/10 07:33 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: Slogger]

I remember that too now... something I've not experienced as much with the Ridgerest.
I carry two gel pads in the foot care kit - placing them in the centres of the hip and shoulder areas seem to do the trick - (though this only on kitchen floor...) wish I'd thought of it a bit sooner, but, as you say, when knackered you'll sleep on anything...
The pads sort the movement between the Uber and the groundsheet, but the PHD bag will want to move on top of it also, so Mark's solution is a good 'un, but how to dilute the silicon..?
cheers

#57403 - 26/07/10 09:45 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Many mountain marathoners take a one or two foam sit mats for their ground insulation layer. One placed at the hip, the other at the shoulders. Maybe we are getting softer than we used to be, we used to manage well enough with no sleep mat of any description, just directly on the groundsheet. But as they are now available .........
Dave.

#57404 - 26/07/10 11:09 PM Re: Tent (Terra Nova Laser Competition) below 200. [Re: Slogger]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Mix 1 part silicon sealer with 2 or 3 parts mineral spirit. It takes a fair bit of mixing. Paint it on. The US site that I found this on (backpackinglight.com) mostly talks about GE Silicone II as the silicon but I get the impression that any neutral cure silicon will work. This mix is also used to seal seams in silnylon - cheaper than the McNett sealer.

Gluing with silicone is also a good way to attach pullouts etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917