The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1678
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35942 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57423 - 29/07/10 12:18 PM Mixed views
howie1 Offline

Loc: england
Me & my wife are thinking of doing the ODP next year. Reading the forum there are a very mixed views about the walk. We have done most of the long distance trails and i would be intrested
in peoples thoughts about the walk. If we chose to do the walk we would go N to S.

#57431 - 30/07/10 02:41 AM Re: Mixed views [Re: howie1]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
I only walked ODP from Pandy to Knighton but enjoyed it very much. It's really quite different from the northern England paths, a nice change of pace. You can read my little writeup (with photos) at: http://greggxn.blogspot.com/

#57432 - 30/07/10 06:56 AM Re: Mixed views [Re: Gregg]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I think some of the mixed views are associated with LWM's view of Prestatyn. I think Mick would suggest a N to S direction as the first thing you do is leave Prestatyn and it is out of sight the moment you turn South.

#57437 - 30/07/10 10:30 AM Re: Mixed views [Re: MarkF]
rogere Offline

Loc: UK
People have been a bit unfair about Offas Dyke. As long as you know what to expect, it is a splendid and vary varied route. It is not all remote moorland (like the PW), it covers a full spectrum of UK walking. There are excellent upland sections like the Black Mountains and The Clwydian Hills, long, quiet sections of remote sheep country, attractive towns (Hay, Kington), hideous places (Prestatyn, Llanymynech), "seaside" at both ends, a lovely walk up the Wye Valley, history (Tintern Abbey, White Castle, the Dyke itself etc, industrial highlights like the canal aqueduct at Llagollen). Apparently, there are also about 500 stiles, but don't let that put you off - it is part an parcel of UK walking! Do your research, choose nice places to overnight and go for it. You will have a good time (weather permitting.....).

#57460 - 31/07/10 09:27 PM Re: Mixed views [Re: MarkF]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: MarkF
I think some of the mixed views are associated with LWM's view of Prestatyn. I think Mick would suggest a N to S direction as the first thing you do is leave Prestatyn and it is out of sight the moment you turn South.

I may be wrong but I think those comments came from Lounge Lizard and not LWM.
Anyway we did the route several years ago and I will do it again only this time, North to South. All I can say is it is an LDP not to be missed. You will find it different to others in the UK but variety is a positive thing and I doubt you will be disappointed. It is also a must that want to get away from the hoards as experienced on other more popular routes.
Dave.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917