The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57483 - 01/08/10 08:58 PM An incurable itch.....
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
When is enough enough?

After completing the PW 11 times the sensible thing would be to find some other walk to do, maybe even take a break and find a new hobby, however........

11 is no real number to stop at, not when the dozen is only one away (but then why stop at 12 when 15 is a good number?) so the question is how to make it more interesting again?

For the last few years my friends have been joining me for what can only be described as a walking booze up which I really enjoy (six days of fun and late night games)

For the next challenge I can feel a shot at a ten day attempt coming on....

After deciding to have a go, I've looked at Alan F's post, and have to say it looks bloody hard, though fitness isn't the issue,and I really don't have to worry about finding the way (haven't used a map in six trips).

Do you good people have any other advice to dissuade me from the long long days of pain

#57484 - 01/08/10 09:22 PM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: Nick Mac]
Sentinel Offline

None at all.

I completed the Pennine Way in July and I've got an itch to do it again. Only next time I'll do it southbound, although doing it southbound doesn't feel right but I've got to do it southbound because that way it'll be different.

For your 12th attempt, you should stay in places you've never been to before, drink in pubs you've never been to - even if they are way off the beaten track - and have different meals and itineraries.

#57485 - 01/08/10 09:44 PM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: Sentinel]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
As you are obviously a seasoned trail walker why not put your 12th crossing on hold just for next year and try somewhere different. If you enjoy an alternative walk then a whole new vista is opened up for you.

If you don't find it as enjoyable then you can complete your 12th crossing in 2012 safe in the knowledge that you are missing nowt.

Either way, you have cured your itch and satisfied yourself as to your future direction.

Try the Coast to Coast, half of the South West coast path or The West Highland Way.

#57487 - 01/08/10 10:06 PM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
10 days isn't hard to a good walker, even backpacking light as I found on my 9 days of actual walking plus one rest day. It just means long days. I was starting at 5am each morning with one start at 2.40am. walking at a comfortable average of 2.5mph, and 30 miles per day so 12 hours actual walking. That gave enough time for the odd cafe, or brew up stop and I camped, bunked or B&B'd near to a pub on most night, bar two where I wild camped.
Next time I do it though I will do it the other way round North to South.
Dave.

#57493 - 02/08/10 03:06 AM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: ]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
For something new and different, try Offa's Dyke and Glyndwr's Way combined.
You will see a lot of interesting country, but might need your maps again.

#57508 - 02/08/10 04:59 PM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: Gregg]
Nick Mac Offline

Thanks for the advice guys, top of the list at the moment may be the dales way in a silly time.

Mister Grimsdale you are 100% correct, though me and a few friends did walk the lyke wake walk last month which was a step into the unknown.....

If and when I do Offa's Dyke it will be part of Lands End to John O'Groats in a few years

#57522 - 02/08/10 10:17 PM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: ]
Sentinel Offline

I hate walking along old railway lines. They're flat so you end up using the same muscles all time and I get tired quicker. A good hill is what you need.....

#57533 - 03/08/10 07:45 PM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: ]
Nick Mac Offline

It started well, then as you say the rail track is a bit of a pain, but I've walked on worse.....

It was a good experience, but the walk itself is no fun, but I was glad we did it in daylight otherwise the only good views would have been in darkness.

I will be doing it again next year with the lads who missed out this year(looking forward to another night out in Scarborough afterwards)

#57538 - 03/08/10 09:14 PM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: Nick Mac]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Just a thought Nick Mac. If you intend to walk from Land's End to JOG then why not try the southern coastal section of the SW coast path from Poole to Lands End for a change? When you then do the JOGLE you can start it by walking the northern section east from LE, thus completing the whole trail.

#57549 - 04/08/10 08:19 AM Re: An incurable itch..... [Re: Nick Mac]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: Nick Mac
It started well, then as you say the rail track is a bit of a pain, but I've walked on worse.....

It was a good experience, but the walk itself is no fun, but I was glad we did it in daylight otherwise the only good views would have been in darkness.

I will be doing it again next year with the lads who missed out this year(looking forward to another night out in Scarborough afterwards)

The L.W.W was a challenge walk, Devised by Bill Cowley, and to become a dirger, one had to walk it within 24 hours and some of the walk had to be done in the hours of darkness.

Members of the R.N Glassworks( York branch) walked it many times.
They used to plan to walk it when the moon was full, it was often obscured by cloud ( the moon that is)

I remember one time, as we were walking over the Cleveland hills,
the sun rose over Middlesborough and we could see a shaft of sunlight going upright into the sky and has it came down you would have though some one had opened a furnace door at Middlesborough, Magic!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917