The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59252 - 28/12/10 09:48 AM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
the scareist bit for me was climbing the scree at the side of Cordale Scar.
The weight of the bag held me back,I just could not climb the waterfall, so had gone up the scree at the left side.
I got a good way up and was begining to panic.
so I sat down had a piece of mint cake to steady myself, and then on my way.

#59253 - 28/12/10 04:14 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: tim smith]
tworivers Offline

I didn't think Gordale Scar was actually on the Way ?
Also, how much actual rock climbing is involved in getting to the top of Pen-y-Ghent ?

#59254 - 28/12/10 07:12 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: tworivers]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Gordale Scar
Wainwright's recommended detoure.

#59256 - 28/12/10 07:51 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: tim smith]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Gordale Scar is a short detour off the Pennine Way and provides an exciting alternative for the second or subsequent journey. For a first time traveller I would enjoy the experience of Malham Cove.

I wouldn't worry too much about ascending Penyghent from the south. Yes there are some rocks which require negotiating,but, it is quite possible to negotiate an easier way up rather than the direct route. The view, after all, is behind you, so it shouldn't be a real problem unless the walker has particularly severe vertigo.

#59262 - 29/12/10 06:28 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: tworivers]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: tworivers
I didn't think Gordale Scar was actually on the Way ?
Also, how much actual rock climbing is involved in getting to the top of Pen-y-Ghent ?

It is just a series of rock steps that requires some hands on for balance. The first set are Limestone and quite well polished but with enough choice to get around the worse ones.
The second set are Sandstone or Gritstone which offer improved grip, these are bigger steps, steeper and require a bit of a haul up to gain the plateau.
I wouldn't worry about it, this route is the same as the Pen Y Ghent Fell race, which is an annual run.
Dave.

#59263 - 30/12/10 06:54 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: Slogger]
tworivers Offline

Thanks people.

#60047 - 27/02/11 07:28 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: tworivers]
tworivers Offline

Cauldron Snout. How close do you get to the water when climbing up ?

#60048 - 27/02/11 08:19 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: tworivers]
slowcoach Offline

There shouldn't be a problem if you are use common sense. The waterfall cascades downwards across quite a spectacular series of rocks. Fortunately, these are large flat rocks (as opposed to scree type rocks) with sizeable flat surfaces that are easy to make your way upwards on and to to walk across. You can quite easily negotiate a way upwards that doesn't make you feel that you are in any form of danger. You cross the river above the waterfall on the road access to Birkdale Farm.

Perhaps more of a problem to those with vertigo (though as I don't suffer from it it is hard for me to comment effectively) could be a few very short sections of the path after you pass High Cup and start to head towards Dufton. Here, you are on the side of a hill with quite a steep fall away to your left. The answer here is to walk just off the path at the side opposite the drop. Nothing to get wound up about I wouldn't think.

If you can manage the M62 bridge, the rest is a doddle!!!

#60077 - 01/03/11 06:25 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Don't know about that! To negotiate the footbridge at Byrness required scuba diving gear when I went that way, hence the detour via Tarmac.
Dave.

#60087 - 01/03/11 08:34 PM Re: scary bits and guidebook [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Not those kids on the caravan site playing up again?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917