Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34937 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57730 - 13/08/10 07:33 AM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Oldun]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Originally Posted By: Oldun
I book the B&B for the night. When I arrive there I ask the owner to send my baggage to the next B&B and they arrange everything....?

Not quite - you arrange it with the B&B when you book it because they may need some warning to arrange it. If I remember rightly - all of my B&Bs apart from in Llangollen were quite used to arranging baggage transfer.

#57731 - 13/08/10 07:38 AM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Oldun]
Bliss 60 Offline

This may or may not be helpful, but these were the places I stayed (prices from 2008):

Chepstow, Cliff House, 01291 623575 £35 + £12.50 baggage
Monmouth, Queens Head Hotel, 07718 964428 £35 + £18
Pandy, Lancaster Arms, 01873 890699 £30 + £20
Hay on Wye, Belmont House, 01497 820718 £30 + £15
Kington, Royal Oak, 01544 230484 £35 + £15
Knighton, The Fleece House, 01547 520168 £38 + £18
Little Brompton Farm, 01686 668371 £27 + £20
Llanymynech, Bradford Arms Hotel, 01691 830582 £35.00 + £9.80
Llangollen, Plas Hafod, 01978 869225 £35 + £22.50
Clywd Gate, Rhesgoed Isa Cottage B & B 01824 704733 £35 + £10
Bodfari, Valeside, 01745 710495 £40 + £20

#57732 - 13/08/10 07:50 AM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Oldun]
Bliss 60 Offline

So the next question is....do I walk from South to North, or North to South...?

Possibly not much in it. I did South to North which worked out fine. At the southern end, there is a stretch of 2 miles odd where you haven't got much choice but to retrace your steps because it goes down to the Severn (good view over the river to the bridge, and good introduction to the dyke as well). So I got the train to Chepstow - then a taxi to my B&B (which was a couple of miles north of Chepstow) - then did the 2 miles to the Severn - and then walked into Chepstow for an evening meal and then back to the B&B (which also meant I had 2 miles less to do the next day - and so it worked well). If you did that bit at the end, it might be a bit annoying to have to do an extra 2 miles back to get back into Chepstow.

I remember that Mr Lizard didn't used to like walking towards Prestatyn, and can't say that Prestatyn was nice. But then you can just walk straight to the station and leave.

I don't recall any bits that would be particularly bad if done the other way round - its quite a symetrical walk - either way around day three you hit big hills (Clwydian Range in the North, Black Mountains in the South) - and then lots of ups and downs in the middle. There's some flat stuff from Little Brompton to Llanmynech, which meant that I was able to do what for me was a longer day (21 miles).

#57733 - 13/08/10 12:34 PM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Oldun]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
I wouldn't just assume they would take your luggage to the next B&B. I booked well in advance and asked the question, so knew for certain they would. Equally they knew to fit it in with their plans for the next day which your B&B might not be able to unless forewarned.

#57748 - 15/08/10 02:15 PM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Great stuff Bliss and Janice. Thanks for the feed back

#57834 - 23/08/10 05:49 AM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
So the next question is....do I walk from South to North, or North to South...?

Possibly not much in it. I did South to North which worked out fine. At the southern end, there is a stretch of 2 miles odd where you haven't got much choice but to retrace your steps because it goes down to the Severn (good view over the river to the bridge, and good introduction to the dyke as well). So I got the train to Chepstow - then a taxi to my B&B (which was a couple of miles north of Chepstow) - then did the 2 miles to the Severn - and then walked into Chepstow for an evening meal and then back to the B&B (which also meant I had 2 miles less to do the next day - and so it worked well). If you did that bit at the end, it might be a bit annoying to have to do an extra 2 miles back to get back into Chepstow.

I remember that Mr Lizard didn't used to like walking towards Prestatyn, and can't say that Prestatyn was nice. But then you can just walk straight to the station and leave.

I don't recall any bits that would be particularly bad if done the other way round - its quite a symetrical walk - either way around day three you hit big hills (Clwydian Range in the North, Black Mountains in the South) - and then lots of ups and downs in the middle. There's some flat stuff from Little Brompton to Llanmynech, which meant that I was able to do what for me was a longer day (21 miles).

Bliss. You and Slogger are right about my opinion of Prestatyn, but it's not that any determined walker would be unlikely to cope with an hour waiting for the train in that 'last resort' but that no right minded person would choose to have their six, or however many, days on the path blighted with the sure and certain knowledge that they were heading for and would eventually reach that god forsaken town.
It's no coincidence that both John Prescott and Carol Vordeman keep quiet about the fact that they were both born there.

#57835 - 23/08/10 06:34 AM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Lounge Lizard]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
However you do the OD path you travel to Prestatyn. Perhaps the speed of the train makes it more bearable - only a few minutes from Chester rather than 10 days on foot.

Perhaps the pleasure of leaving Prestatyn is such that it makes the rest of walk seem so enjoyable.

#58379 - 22/09/10 12:13 PM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: MarkF]
tomread Offline

This webpage seems to indicate that there are several providers doing accommodation and booking services for the ODP:

http://www.offasdyke.demon.co.uk/guides.htm

#58569 - 12/10/10 06:27 PM Re: Baggage transfer [Re: Oldun]
Scott H Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I solo walked Offa's, south to north this past July/2010 and totally agree with Bliss 60 in recommending. Unfortunately I had to cut things short at Trefonen and return to Canada however will make it up next year before doing the Irish Coast to Coast, then will have completed coast to coasts in England (Wainwrights), Scotland (West Highland & Great Glen Way), Wales (Offa’s) and Ireland (Irish C to C).
As for luggage transfer (and accommodations) I can suggest who you DO NOT use... CONTOURS. A sloppy and dated itinerary, dated info on the B&B's and absolutely no help, in fact borderline rude, with my family emergency return to Canada. One of the other quotes I got was from Carolyn at Byway Breaks (Sherpa doesn’t due solo) and so wish I had gone with her instead.
Maybe I’ll see you on the trail next year!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright © The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561