The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58706 - 27/10/10 07:22 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: kevm]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Although Uswayford has ceased trading, whilst I was there the occupant told me that she worked alongside some of the other farms just off the way. They would pass walkers on to each other if they were full, sometimes even transporting them. I suggest that you try ringing some of them. However, that said, I would take advantage of Joyce's offer just to be sure.

#58713 - 28/10/10 11:22 AM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
If you wouldn`t get into an unlicenced taxi in a town why do it in the country especially on such a perilous road as the MOD road. It is illegal for accommodation providers to transport guests in their car wether or not they accept payment,unless they have a private hire licence or a public service vehichle licence.This is why we spent several months and several thousands of pounds jumping through hoops for VOSA (vehichle operators services agency) The thought of crashing with someone in and not being licenced and insured is just not an option.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#58714 - 28/10/10 03:39 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
slowcoach Offline

Does this mean that accommodation providers who pick up walkers at, and return them to, say, The Lion or Hagg's Gate on the C to C are falling foul of the law?

I ask this because some farms advertise in official leaflets/brochures etc as offering this service to walkers. If it is illegal, then councils, National Parks, National Trail leaflets etc should not carry their adverts without first checking on them possessing a license.

#58715 - 28/10/10 05:55 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

Got it in one and vosa have just realised that they can catch offenders without even leaving the office. On a more serious note to retain a PSV licence the vehichle must pass a detailed safety check at a VOSA centre every 10 weeks so you know that the car or bus is more likely to be mechanically sound. The private car of an accommodation provider has only to pass an MOT one a year and in the meantime could have had it`s brakes fixed at some back street garage or by a helpful neighbour.

#58717 - 28/10/10 06:39 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I see your point Joyce about licensing etc, but it can't be illegal to give someone a lift for free, only if you are charging for it. Many B&Bs offer lifts but dont charge so are within the law. They will be insured as the lift itself, is not for hire or reward.
Dave.

#58719 - 28/10/10 07:20 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Thanks for the reply Joyce. This poses an interesting dilemma. Is there a difference then between someone who advertises that a lift to/from a location, free or otherwise, and someone who gives spur of the moment lifts to people who otherwise would be in difficulty?

I presume from what you write that
"Cross Fell View. Lifts offered to/from the end of the radar station road" is using transport as part of the inducement and therefore needs to be licensed.

#58720 - 28/10/10 07:24 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

The above was submitted too early ...

But how about Mrs Gaggins who is fully booked and infrequently offers her husband's services to ferry someone a mile up the road? Would, in this specific case, they be covered on their car insurance, provided it was insured for business use?

(I am not trying to catch you out, I am trying to clarify the situation before I raise it at work. We have a well paid legal department to sort the finer details out!)

#58724 - 28/10/10 11:33 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

It dosen`t matter if you charge or not if you give lifts to customers you must be licenced as private hire or PSV. If a customer needed a lift to hospital in an emergency this would be allowed but not to the pub or to and from a walking route etc. If in doubt ring VOSA they will leave you in no doubt whatsoever.If I could work the links thingy I would put the link in to VOSA`s website. I spent a long time trying (unsuccessfully) to find a cheaper way to do it legally in the end I just bit the bullet and did what the gov. required.

#58727 - 29/10/10 07:44 AM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
slowcoach Offline

Thanks Joyce. I'll raise this tomorrow and see what the council's reaction is to their adverts!!!!

#58732 - 29/10/10 10:37 AM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

The actual wording of the law is if lifts are offered more than occassionally. I insisted that someone define occassionally and they said if it happened once or at a push twice in any one year it was more than occassionally,so if it is an advertised or even regularly offered service it must have the correct licence.(even if it was only twice a year how could you know that a third more urgent case might not come up?)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917