The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58733 - 29/10/10 10:47 AM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Some people are doing it legally if you go to the VOSA site there is an anonymous search by post code type in the post code hit search and it will tell you if there is a PSV lic at that address.We have one and I know Keld Lodge further down the Pennine Way has one there will be others but not many, it is much safer to check than guess.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#58737 - 29/10/10 06:02 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Ive heard of some places offering the service but they use a local taxi firm to get around this licence issue.

#58739 - 29/10/10 06:15 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Some legally then, but there must be lots more that are not aware of the necessity of a license. For example our B&B in St Bees offered us a lift from the Station, however we walked. They gave up a lift to and back from the pub later on and gave my wife a lift to the Station the following morning. As you know this kind of thing happens all the time, if it is illegal they need to know.
Dave.

#58740 - 29/10/10 10:28 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

If they are star rated by Visit Britain then the info is very prominent on the Members website and `tourism toolbox`,that`s how I knew both that I needed to do it and how to go about it.It`s not worth taking the risk of getting sued and losing your business or worse still your home.

#58758 - 30/10/10 07:54 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Mentioned this at work today.

Councils have evidently already been informed of the legal position and now no longer accept adverts which suggest that a lift may be available. Stockists of their leaflets have been asked to replace older leaflets with up to date ones. It is probably only dinosaurs like me that still have old ones stuffed in their information folder (but, I might add, not from Monday). Councils, of course, have no powers over privately produced literature other than refusing to stock/sell them.

I asked how the law regarded me giving occasional lifts to distressed/misplaced/disinclined to continue visitors.

In my own vehicle I must be insured for business use (which I am) and in a liveried vehicle I am covered by the council insurance. My job does not require me to carry folks so it is a matter of my intention that is critical. If I happen across someone who I feel needs a lift, then, because it is my spur of the moment judgement I am OK (as I can carry a child without the regulation restraint in a situation that I had not foreseen). If I go out at a persons request to pick someone up then I should still be OK but this has not been tested in court yet!

Thanks for the advice Joyce. Anyone want some 3 year old Pennine .....

#58760 - 30/10/10 08:23 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: slowcoach]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I know you are going to tell me off Joyce - but this is just plain bonkers! I am sure most of us have been really happy about a friendly lift from a B&B owner. This is the compensation and bureaucracy culture gone mad.

#58767 - 31/10/10 10:42 AM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: Bliss 60]
joyce taylor Offline

There are several thousands of taxi and bus drivers who would disagree. If anyone who fancied it could just do your job without the qualifications or insurances in place I reckon you might see the point.

#58768 - 31/10/10 10:46 AM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
joyce taylor Offline

Just an after thought if the same Guest houses want to have a TV for you to watch they need to buy 3!!! seperate licences. A TV licence from the gov. A licence from the performance rights society (to reward the people who sing on the adverts) and another licence (can`t remember the name of it ) for the composers who wrote the music for the musicians to sing on the adverts. Thank goodness there is no TV or radio signal in Byrness.

#58773 - 31/10/10 06:32 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: joyce taylor]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
An interesting aside was given to me today by one of the "hierarchy". If I come across people who are in distress for some reason then there is no problem in me giving them a lift.

If, however, I come across people who are just lost, missed the last bus, have taken an incorrect path etc etc, and are otherwise fit and well, technically I can only give them a lift to a phone box so that they can summons a taxi!

I'll think I'll pass on this and take a chance!

#58777 - 31/10/10 09:52 PM Re: 17 or 18 days [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Going further-my van is insured for business and private use. Occasionally I do jobs for say one client followed by a job for their relative or friend who is not at home. Some times the client will accompany me in my van to their relatives address, to let me in. Would this compromise my insurance in the event of an accident and them getting hurt?
Dave.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917