The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57887 - 27/08/10 12:02 AM Whitehaven
flatlands Offline

After ringing a few bed and breakfast in St.Bees, seem everywhere is full. I'm doing the Coast to Coast next month and have always bed & breakfast to start me off, so got in a bed and breakfast in Whitehaven, no problem.

Question is, I'm debating if I should start at Whitehaven and use the cycle-path to Moor Row and connect the Coast to Coast there. Or walk from Whitehaven along the cliffs to Tarn Flatt, been told there was cliff fall some time ago.

Maybe get the bus or taxi to St. Bees, seems no trains run on a Sunday. Think I might get the taxi.

#57890 - 27/08/10 09:12 AM Re: Whitehaven [Re: flatlands]
Philly Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
On the Saturday, dump your bags at the B and B then get yourself to St Bees. Do the first bit of the walk then chip off back to your B and B. On the Sunday just use the cycle path to pick up the route again.

#57891 - 27/08/10 01:13 PM Re: Whitehaven [Re: Philly]
flatlands Offline

Thanks for that, Philly. However, I rang one bed and breakfast in St.Bees on the off chance, I maybe lucky. No luck, full up, however she gave a contact number for another BB in the area and hey, got booked in.

I'm right about the trains, no service on the Sunday, on the 12th. Limited bus service to St. Bees. Taxi charge an average of 10 (5 in 1991) anyway, I'm pleased to get a room in St. Bees..

#58090 - 06/09/10 11:56 PM Re: Whitehaven [Re: Philly]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: Philly
On the Saturday, dump your bags at the B and B then get yourself to St Bees. Do the first bit of the walk then chip off back to your B and B. On the Sunday just use the cycle path to pick up the route again.
Well, I'm not too happy about the b&b I had reserved, can't get in until the evening, so had to cancel it. Everywhere in St. Bees is fully booked, as I would expect. So, back to plan A, got a b&b in Whitehaven and although no trains on a Sunday, I could get a bus or possible lift to St. Bees. But, I like Philly's idea's, so, need to check the maps.

#58100 - 07/09/10 10:33 PM Re: Whitehaven [Re: flatlands]
Boots Offline

Tried the hotel on the sea-front?

#58102 - 07/09/10 11:40 PM Re: Whitehaven [Re: Boots]
flatlands Offline

Yes, I did think of that one, but pricey for a single room @ 50. Anyway, the guest house in Whitehaven is a nice one and my deposit lies there now.

#58672 - 25/10/10 02:44 PM Re: Whitehaven [Re: flatlands]
flatlands Offline

Just a recap on the accommodation in Whitehaven, prior to my Coast to Coast walk in September. As you may know, that everywhere in St. Bees was fully booked for that weekend and tried my luck in Whitehaven.

I found a lovely guest house in Whitehaven, Glenard. It's about a mile out of the town centre, about 10 minutes walk.

It is a lovely, clean guest house and I had a single en suite for 30 and breakfast was very good. There is no pubs nearby, apart from the town centre. However, there is a local Morrison's nearby and got a couple of bottled ales from there to take back.

I was fairly early arriving in Whitehaven, so had a chance for a good look round the centre and had lovely fish & chips, in fact, that many chips, I gave half to the young gulls on the pier.

Despite no train service on the Sunday, I did manage to get a local bus (4 a day) to St. Bees for a 1.

If, I do the Coast to Coast walk again or mountain bike, then I would stay at Glenard again.

#58676 - 25/10/10 10:41 PM Re: Whitehaven [Re: flatlands]
Memphian Offline

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee, USA
That's odd, flatlands. I arrived in Whitehaven on Sunday, the 12th of September. I had in hand my Whitehaven to St. Bees bus schedule that I had printed from this web site: http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/Content/Internet/544/931/1099/40387111925.pdf

I found my way to the Duke Street bus stop where a small crowd was waiting. I checked the schedule at the stop which confirmed that a bus would be arriving at 1635. But a fellow I started talking to said the bus didn't go to St. Bees. Thinking he might be mistaken, I asked the bus driver who confirmed it. So I walked back to the line of taxis a block away and paid ten pounds for the trip.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I wonder where I went wrong.

#58678 - 26/10/10 12:23 AM Re: Whitehaven [Re: Memphian]
flatlands Offline

Does seem a bit odd, the bus should of gone to St. Bees as stated on the timetable. The bus company was AA travel.

10 for a taxi crazy

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917