The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35939 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58772 - 31/10/10 06:27 PM Liiliard
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Anyone doing this walk should seek out Lilliard's Grave alongside the route. A fascinating story behind it.

#58786 - 01/11/10 06:04 PM Re: Liiliard [Re: slowcoach]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
I found a photo of Lilliard's grave but not the story.

I did find the story of packwoman's grave on Rossett Gill but did not see it on my walk last spring. Facinating story.

Slowcoach, as you seem to know about the odd graves, perhaps you know of the
small gravestone on Glaisdale Rigg just north of the track between the Leaholm road and Glaisdale. It is marked and is quite old (I don't remember the inscription)
but seems to be an odd place for a grave. Do you know anything about it?

#58787 - 01/11/10 06:59 PM Re: Liiliard [Re: Gregg]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Hi Gregg
#
The link for Lilliards Grave is
http://www.grantham.karoo.net/paul/graves/lilliard.htm

The Packwomans is
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMTK8_The_Packwomans_grave_Langdale_Cumbria_UK

Do The one on Glaisdale moor is not actually a gravestone but a memorial. I have clean forgotten who it is to ... I'll have a look he next time I am up there. There are a surprising number of memorial stones dotted across the moor and they turn up in the most unusual of places. For example there is one to a local postman who, determined to get the mail through deep snowdrifts, froze to death in the snowdrifts (848993. Visible as you look along the bridleway to Birchwood and reachable along it)

There is also the Booth Stone (find it if you can but marked on the OS map at 708981. He was, I was once told, the local gamekeeper who also met a weather related expiration).

#58790 - 01/11/10 09:41 PM Re: Liiliard [Re: slowcoach]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Thanks for that Slowcoach. Interesting to read about another lady warrior.

The photo I found is on Wikpedia
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:LadyLilliardsGraveAncrumMoor1545(GrahamEllis)Sep2005.jpg

That the Glaisdale moor stone is a memorial makes sense due to the location. I believe it is a lady if I remember correctly, markings barely legible.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917