The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58934 - 09/11/10 02:44 PM Re: Offa's Dyke GPS Distance Measured? [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
I know that when we did the OD, we found it harder than expected, with the many undulations. I used an altimeter en route and the total ascent came in at around 21,000 feet.
The Pennine Way came in at around 27,000 feet.
Dave.

#58938 - 09/11/10 06:12 PM Re: Offa's Dyke GPS Distance Measured? [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Alan,
Ignore earlier questions, having senior moments today!
I just re-read your PW account. Wish I could get my sac weight down as much as you do, but I have felt the cold more in the last 3 years. Apparently to do with age and the metabolism, so I carry extra layers and socks.
When I do the reverse of the route, I too may try the Hedgehogs, which I wore with success during my recent C2C.
Dave.

#58955 - 11/11/10 09:28 AM Re: Offa's Dyke GPS Distance Measured? [Re: Slogger]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
I did have a problem with the cold on the PW.I started the day after the hot weather in mid-May finished.I was prepared for cooler weather,and had one thermal top plus two thin breathable T-shirts (plus cag). However,having three mornings on days 2,3 and 4 with 2 degrees C starts,and strong north winds,giving a sub-zero wind chill factor on the tops (despite being end of May),I had all my clothing on apart from spare socks,and wished I had swopped one T-shirt for my merino wool top.It did mean I went very quick on these morning sections,minimal rests,and jogging the downhill sections,to keep body temperature warm!
Body mass certainly affects abilty to keep warm.Five years ago I was 13 stone,but now being down to 11stone 6,I feel the cold more,presumably as my surface area to mass ratio is now higher, as well as being 5 yeras older!

#58960 - 11/11/10 02:41 PM Re: Offa's Dyke GPS Distance Measured? [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Online   content

I had first stage hypothermia a couple of years ago whilst in remote Glen Afric, at over 3,000ft on a wet windy day, 9.5 mile from the nearest habitation or road. It hit me quickly, fortunately carrying extra dry layers and a survival shelter, with the assistance of my colleagues, I managed to rewarm. All energy spent on trying to keep warm, I was not fit for any more Munro's so retreated for the long walk back to camp near the Clunie Inn, in Glen Sheil.
A paramedic we came across the next day explained that, being older than my colleagues and being over 60 years, my metabolic rate is substantially different, so when they need two layers to keep warm, I would need three. It made perfect sense to me.
Dave.

#58962 - 11/11/10 08:00 PM Re: Offa's Dyke GPS Distance Measured? [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I have noticed over the past year that I too have started to fel
el the cold a little more than in the past. My response has been to invest in a high quality winter coat ... the Rohan Nightfall Jacket. I have to give it due credit, it has been a revelation to me. Even standing for long periods in sub zero temperatures through the snow last winter, I never felt the slightest body chill. Even had to abandon a thermal vest as I was too hot if worn together. I wore it in the Lakes last March when it was deep snow and below zero at ground level and didn't feel any coldness at all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917