The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59342 - 07/01/11 07:52 PM Guide Book
tictag Offline

Loc: manchester uk
Hello all,

I have a fear of getting lost. I really want to attept the Dales Way this year but every time I think of doing this walk, my fear overcomes me. Can anyone tell me what is the best guide book I should get? Can I get this on amazon?

Thanks to all.

#59343 - 07/01/11 11:33 PM Re: Guide Book [Re: tictag]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
The latest can be ordered from www.rucsacs.com
The accompanying Harvey map can also be ordered at a discount.

#59344 - 08/01/11 12:33 AM Re: Guide Book [Re: Stottie]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
You can't really get lost on the Dales Way, just a little misplaced as my B&B host told me. Not to worry, I've misplaced myself on every LDP but lived to tell the tale.

Congrats Pete on your new book. I'll have to get a copy on my next trip over. DW is one of my favorite walks because of all the grand old bridges.

#59357 - 08/01/11 04:59 PM Re: Guide Book [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Stottie
The latest can be ordered from www.rucsacs.com
The accompanying Harvey map can also be ordered at a discount.

I will have to get one of those Pete, no doubt I will be doing the route again sometime and I just love good guidebooks even though I know the way well.
Dave.

#59384 - 09/01/11 11:53 PM Re: Guide Book [Re: Slogger]
tictag Offline

Loc: manchester uk
Scottie n Gregg,

Many thanks to both of you.
Scottie, I will purchase the book when it comes out and attempt it in the summer.

Do I need to remember anything to do with the route or equipment?

Thanks again.

#59387 - 10/01/11 09:14 AM Re: Guide Book [Re: tictag]
Stottie Offline

Originally Posted By: tictag
Scottie n Gregg,

Many thanks to both of you.
Scottie, I will purchase the book when it comes out and attempt it in the summer.

Do I need to remember anything to do with the route or equipment?

Thanks again.

The Dales Way is a good "Starter" if you haven't done a long distance trail. The book tells you about planning, preparation and equipment as well as providing a detailed written description of the route. The publisher will also sell you, at a discounted price, the Harvey map that covers the entire route.

#59430 - 13/01/11 06:34 AM Re: Guide Book [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
The Cicerone guide is an excellent investment, it was the one I used. Contains OS maps of the route and, shows the route both ways. You can actaully start the walk at, amongst other places, Leeds and walk along Meanwood Beck (sigtnposted from off the Otley Road just north of the city centre), via Bramhope and Otley. Quite an enjoyable extra couple of days.

#59433 - 13/01/11 12:15 PM Re: Guide Book [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
You can actaully start the walk at, amongst other places, Leeds and walk along Meanwood Beck (sigtnposted from off the Otley Road just north of the city centre), via Bramhope and Otley. Quite an enjoyable extra couple of days.

The three Link Routes (from Bradford, Harrogate and Leeds) are all good, and all start near railway stations so access is good.

#59441 - 13/01/11 06:20 PM Re: Guide Book [Re: Stottie]
sjwato Offline

Loc: Bridlington, East Yorkshire
I've always enjoyed Paul Hannon's guides; they're compact, accurate and with lots of supplementary information. I've never got seriously adrift when following his books.

#60677 - 09/04/11 12:48 PM Re: Guide Book [Re: tictag]
High Way Chris Offline

Colin Speakman has just brought out the 10th edition of his original guide to the Dales Way complete with all 3 link routes (from Harrogate, Bradford & Leeds). It's got really good maps so you shouldn't need a seperate map. Have a look at at www.skyware.co.uk. It's called Dales Way by Colin Speakman.
Good luck - I hope you enjoy the walk.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917