The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59594 - 24/01/11 12:01 PM Not my best last 7 days!
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
After getting my hand burnt with LPG whilst removing the nozzle from my van, several days ago, today didn't go quite as planned either.
Just nipping out to the local shop for some dinner, walking along the main road through our estate, I came to a road joining from the left. As I started to cross at its junction, I noticed a small silver car approaching on a bend coming up the main road. As I neared the centre of the road I glanced to my left to make sure no cars were coming. Upon again looking forward, the silver car had cut right across the corner without losing any speed and was upon me. Realising I was about to be struck I threw myself up and towards the car. Next thing I'm cartwheeling and spinning hitting the road heavy and cracking my head on its surface. I couldnt move for a few minutes totally winded.
Helped by passers by who called the police and ambulance. 5 stitches in my elbow with a big bruise lump on my Forearm, Ribs down that side possibly broken and very sore, big lump on my head and a sore bum. That's it no work for at least a couple of days.
I'm very sore but okay, but I am really hacked off that the car driver a disabled man possibly in his 70s or 80s told the police that I walked into the side of his car.
Why couldn't he just tell the truth and say that he didn't see me as obviously he didn't, he cut right through me not even slowing until after the impact.
Get me into the hills and away from the streets, it's so much safer!
Dave.

#59595 - 24/01/11 12:21 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Wow, sorry to hear what happened and your injuries but I am pleased that you are alive and can continue to give your good advice to fellow walkers.

My only problem came when I met and American driving at night shortly after he landed at Manchester Airport. He was coming towards me on my side of the road and we hit head on despite me pulling to the left and his natural reaction was to turn to his right. I was alone and he had three passengers, when he got out he blamed me for driving on the wrong side of the road! Luckily a few minutes later and before the police arrived he realised his mistake and apologised having forgotten which side of the road we drive on. Whilst the car was written off, like you, I was "relatively unhurt" but pleased to be alive.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#59596 - 24/01/11 01:11 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Harland]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Slogger ,
Sorry to hear of your incident,not an accident which happens without apparent cause, hope you are soon fit and well and no after effects.,
I hope also that you get well compensated, but money does not mend broken bones.

#59599 - 24/01/11 02:47 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: tim smith]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Slogger, that was some athletic feat having the presence of mind to jump and roll over the car like a stuntman. Well done.

#59600 - 24/01/11 03:14 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Oldun]
flatlands Offline

Sorry to hear about the bad news. That driver needs to re-sit his test, plenty like them. Broken rib, very painful and sore. I broke mine, there do take months to heal properly.

#59606 - 24/01/11 08:07 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
get well soon!

#59618 - 25/01/11 11:39 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Some people never learn do they.
A complete somersault with a half twist would have seen you clear the roof of the car and land on your feet facing the way you had just come from,thus allowing the appropriate hand gestures to be applied to the driver of said vehicle.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Apart from that......get well soon,and I AM sorry you were hurt.
Take care Dave.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59623 - 25/01/11 12:22 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
Some people never learn do they.
A complete somersault with a half twist would have seen you clear the roof of the car and land on your feet facing the way you had just come from,thus allowing the appropriate hand gestures to be applied to the driver of said vehicle.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Oh, don't make me laugh, it hurts
I'm feeling much better today (could be the painkillers?)
Cheers all.
Dave.

#59624 - 25/01/11 01:35 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Sorry to hear of your bodily damage Slogger, hope it doesn't keep you out of the hills for too long (sod work). My friends
ask me if I feel safe going into the hills alone.....I usually reply - a lot darn safer than walking round Liverpool city centre at night! (not that I do much of that. So, with you on getting away from the dangers of civilisation.

#59628 - 25/01/11 05:01 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Calluna]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Sorry to hear about your incident Dave. I think you did well to come off without being badly injured. But I think a backward somersault would have been quicker giving the appropriate gestures mid air.

Seriously though, I am glad you are basically ok.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917