The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59630 - 25/01/11 11:10 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Bloody hell Dave... commiserations mate - sounds like that could have been a lot worse!
How many lives left now?

#59631 - 26/01/11 02:57 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Not too many me thinks, but cheers Mick.
Just checked my Mortgage payment protection insurance policy. Not looked at it properly before. Typically not quite what I thought it was, looks like I'm going to have to force myself back to work sooner than I had hoped. I am going to try a small job tomorrow or Friday morning to see how I cope.
As you say it could have been a lot worse, good job Ive got a hard head.
I first tested it out when I was a 9 year old. Coming home from the Saturday Matinee at the local Flicks, on an open decker back loader (bus), I was busting for a pee. We didn't have much money as a family and all but the top fly button on my short pants were missing, no underpants either.
I had watched many adults jumping off buses and running, before it had quite come to a stop at bus stops.
I decided to do the same. Problem was I misjudged it and when I jumped, the bus was still doing about 30mph.
Apparently I did several forward rolls before a Lamppost halted my progress as I hit it with back of my head.
The conductor ran and picked my unconscious body up in his arms, only for, you know what, to pop up out of my trousers and pee all over him.
Two large lumps on my head and injections into my thigh every day for the following two weeks in Booth Hall Hospital.
About six years later on the same bus run, and getting off at the same intended bus stop. My pal and myself moved onto the open bus deck, only to be cautioned by the conductor.
"Careful boys, keep back from the edge, about six years ago, one of my passengers left the deck and hit a Lamppost near this same stop." (owtte)
I looked at my pal and we got off without saying anything.
I wasn't going to tell him that it was me that had peed all over him!
Dave.

#59662 - 29/01/11 12:19 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

LOL - that is funny Dave! Hope the trial job went well and that you are soon back to normal,
cheers
mick

#59671 - 29/01/11 05:14 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
LOL - that is funny Dave! Hope the trial job went well and that you are soon back to normal,
cheers
mick

Well the trial job was sheer agony, so thats it, there's no way I can do any work until until things settle a bit more.
Most injuries are gradually getting better and there's no more fluid getting my legs or arm, but the bruising where my Gluteus Maximus joined my Sacrum ( big buttock muscle and tailbone) if anything has felt worse every day. It has been particularly painful today that I went back to the A&E, where they explained it better and prescribed Diclofenac.
I am really annoyed that they not pressing charges against the driver, at first I just thought I'd leave it up to the police, but now I have realised fully what happened, my feelings have changed.
He cut the corner completely coming through on the wrong side of the road, where I was crossing, he has no excuses it was just appalling driving and it looks like he is going to get away with it because there were no witnesses.
Dave.

#59686 - 01/02/11 03:42 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
Dave, glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better and I hope you are back to full fitness and walking again soon

Mick

#59690 - 01/02/11 09:43 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: walkanddrink]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Hi Dave,
Just seen this thread, what a nightmare. I'd say your lucky to be still with us, no thanks to thats idiots friving. So glad you had your whits about you and were able to jump partially out of the way. The old boy in the car certainly needs the riot act reading after doing that.
Those pills are major pain killers (Heidi's a nurse), once the dosage builds up in your system you should feel somewhat better. Its wrong that the old boys insurance isn't going to cover any issues you face on the mortgage.
les

#59706 - 01/02/11 08:57 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Than you Les and Mick,
I'm not much good at being non active and am a bit fed up at present. The Diclofenac IS starting to kick in now and I am hoping to ease back into work starting this Friday. I know its at least going to be uncomfortable for a while, but I can cope with that so I will have to see how it goes.
Cheers.
Dave.

#59722 - 02/02/11 11:11 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

That is such a bummer Dave - hope you can make it to the pub at least!

#59747 - 05/02/11 04:04 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
I think a visit to CAB to get advice on a civil prosecution,Dave.
My mate got hit by a car a few years back,but again no witnesses,only the driver and my mate.
The driver claimed my mate walked out in front of him,but after getting an assessor (try the AA)to look at the car,it became obvious from the impact point on the car that it could not have been impossible for the pedestrian to have impacted where he did from a straight walk out.
It's all down to angles,and trigonomathingy.
In a civil case I believe he has to prove his innocence( I may be wrong),either way up,you have expences,loss of earnings and injuries to consider,and his insurance should be at least offering you some sort of compo.
My mate got all his expences,losses,and a tidy lump on top as well as the lump on his head.
Worth checking out,and the Police can do reconstructions with computers now.I seen it on the telly,so it must be true.(Road Wars,not Starsky and Hutch before you ask.....TAKE IM TO DA CLEANERS GUV.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59749 - 05/02/11 04:50 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Just a thought to provoke your actions.
If you walked into the side of a moving vehicle you would be pushed to the side,and not over the top.

If you walked out in front of a car,it would suggest you had not seen it's approach, therefore a collision impacting the front of the vehicle would throw you onto the bonnet(hood if you're American)and also impact the windscreen(windscreen if your're American) causing you to fall into the area in front of the car(automobile if you're American).

If you were already on the road and were able to jump up,it would suggest that the car driver had not seen you and failed to reacted appropriatly(brake and swerve, if you're American),and also that you had seen it's approach,and unless you have suicidal tendencies,would not have stepped out in the first place.

Now I don't know you personally,but as a lover of the great outside,and keen walking type;your profile does not suggest a desire to wantonly self destuct.
Hope you are getting better,and I hope this helps,but if I were in your shoes I would TAKE IM TO DA CLEANERS!!!!
Yup Mad as hatters.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917