The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60014 - 24/02/11 05:38 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Thanks Les and Mick.
Got to admit my thoughts keep drifting towards an E to W, a N to S Offas Dyke and a North to South PW too.
I think all will have to be done sometime or I'll never rest, mind I wont rest afterwards anyway.
Dave.

#60018 - 24/02/11 10:28 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Cambrian Way..?

#60020 - 25/02/11 11:26 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Slogger. Re: your injuries.

From my own experiences I know that pain killers and drugs do not heal the problems after body damage, they only disguise the problem; and because the drugs make you feel good, you go out and put strain on areas that have been pain deadened, but are still in the process of healing. Hence your relapse the other day.

For me, I must always regularly visit a serious masseur every other week in order to get the blood circulating in my leg and back muscles; and the knots in the muscles smoothed out. If I miss a couple of visits I slowly become immobilized by muscle tension which causes nerve pains when I sit or move.

Some days like today, I feel like popping a pill just to make the pain go away....but I don't because I know of the damage I can do to the muscles afterwards by over straining them.

Slogger, I very seriously suggest that in order to give yourself some relief that you find a serious sports masseur like the footballers or rugby players have. Not an osteopath or an NHS supplied physio, as most of them are incompetent and do more damage than good.

Try to wean your self off the painkillers, as they will only prolong the muscle damage.

My very best wishes Slogger.

#60023 - 25/02/11 01:18 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Two weeks ago I| bought a Homemedics massage cushion for my wife (in a sale for 49). It has been a joy to use. It cured her aching back after 2 sessions on the first day. I now use it every night when I am at home and find it completely removes any residual aches, stiffness and stress in the back, shoulders and neck ... although, in fairness, these are just daily wear and tear issues rather than an underlying problem.

#60024 - 25/02/11 04:36 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Mick,
Re- Cambrian Way, Ive had the book for a while and the report about the authors journey. It is one I would seriously like to do. He spent 3 weeks on it. Its only a bit longer than the PW but with about twice the ascent. Once I get fully fit again maybe two weeks would see it cracked, but yes it would be a good one to do.
Oldun and SC,
Thanks very much for your comments and tips.
I do see the value in using a sports masseur, a couple of pals use one regularly.
I have been off all painkillers for well over a week now and am trying to stay off them. It is still very uncomfortable doing my work and parts that I thought were almost healed, clearly are not, just as you say Oldun.
My Ribs in particular seem if anything to be getting worse and have caused loss of sleep the last three nights. It will be five weeks this Sunday. Last time I broke three Ribs next to my Sternum, they were more or less okay by five weeks. I presume it's the soft tissue damage that I am still feeling, and feeling more as I have become more active.
Good advice though, thanks very much.
Dave.

#60025 - 25/02/11 07:10 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Slogger. Re rib pain.

For weeks I had to sleep on my back on a semi inflated airbed to keep the pressure off my ribs. There was just enough air pressure in the bed to keep my back off the surface underneath. Impossible to turn over...I just had to lie there, relax and let sleep take me.

I believe that sleep is the best healer, although anti inflammatories were a great asset initially.

#60038 - 27/02/11 11:51 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
One of the girls wanted to send a car back up the track to get me. I'm glad they persuaded her not to, as I wouldn't have got in it, despite her caring intentions.

Refusing a lift froma young lady?
Blimey Dave you must have really clobbered you noggin on landing.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60042 - 27/02/11 12:19 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
One of the girls wanted to send a car back up the track to get me. I'm glad they persuaded her not to, as I wouldn't have got in it, despite her caring intentions.

Refusing a lift froma young lady?
Blimey Dave you must have really clobbered you noggin on landing.

Now if I'd been on my own!??
Dave.

#60045 - 27/02/11 12:45 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
oh you tease.....
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60049 - 27/02/11 08:24 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I once came across the daughter of a well known celebrity (I later found out) who had walked up to the summit of Latrigg to perform some ancient rite as the sun rose. I don't know who got the biggest shock, her seeing someone else there at 4am or me coming upon her ......... (censored)

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917