The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59594 - 24/01/11 12:01 PM Not my best last 7 days!
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
After getting my hand burnt with LPG whilst removing the nozzle from my van, several days ago, today didn't go quite as planned either.
Just nipping out to the local shop for some dinner, walking along the main road through our estate, I came to a road joining from the left. As I started to cross at its junction, I noticed a small silver car approaching on a bend coming up the main road. As I neared the centre of the road I glanced to my left to make sure no cars were coming. Upon again looking forward, the silver car had cut right across the corner without losing any speed and was upon me. Realising I was about to be struck I threw myself up and towards the car. Next thing I'm cartwheeling and spinning hitting the road heavy and cracking my head on its surface. I couldnt move for a few minutes totally winded.
Helped by passers by who called the police and ambulance. 5 stitches in my elbow with a big bruise lump on my Forearm, Ribs down that side possibly broken and very sore, big lump on my head and a sore bum. That's it no work for at least a couple of days.
I'm very sore but okay, but I am really hacked off that the car driver a disabled man possibly in his 70s or 80s told the police that I walked into the side of his car.
Why couldn't he just tell the truth and say that he didn't see me as obviously he didn't, he cut right through me not even slowing until after the impact.
Get me into the hills and away from the streets, it's so much safer!
Dave.

#59595 - 24/01/11 12:21 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Wow, sorry to hear what happened and your injuries but I am pleased that you are alive and can continue to give your good advice to fellow walkers.

My only problem came when I met and American driving at night shortly after he landed at Manchester Airport. He was coming towards me on my side of the road and we hit head on despite me pulling to the left and his natural reaction was to turn to his right. I was alone and he had three passengers, when he got out he blamed me for driving on the wrong side of the road! Luckily a few minutes later and before the police arrived he realised his mistake and apologised having forgotten which side of the road we drive on. Whilst the car was written off, like you, I was "relatively unhurt" but pleased to be alive.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#59596 - 24/01/11 01:11 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Harland]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Slogger ,
Sorry to hear of your incident,not an accident which happens without apparent cause, hope you are soon fit and well and no after effects.,
I hope also that you get well compensated, but money does not mend broken bones.

#59599 - 24/01/11 02:47 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: tim smith]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Slogger, that was some athletic feat having the presence of mind to jump and roll over the car like a stuntman. Well done.

#59600 - 24/01/11 03:14 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Oldun]
flatlands Offline

Sorry to hear about the bad news. That driver needs to re-sit his test, plenty like them. Broken rib, very painful and sore. I broke mine, there do take months to heal properly.

#59606 - 24/01/11 08:07 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
get well soon!

#59618 - 25/01/11 11:39 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Some people never learn do they.
A complete somersault with a half twist would have seen you clear the roof of the car and land on your feet facing the way you had just come from,thus allowing the appropriate hand gestures to be applied to the driver of said vehicle.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Apart from that......get well soon,and I AM sorry you were hurt.
Take care Dave.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59623 - 25/01/11 12:22 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
Some people never learn do they.
A complete somersault with a half twist would have seen you clear the roof of the car and land on your feet facing the way you had just come from,thus allowing the appropriate hand gestures to be applied to the driver of said vehicle.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Oh, don't make me laugh, it hurts
I'm feeling much better today (could be the painkillers?)
Cheers all.
Dave.

#59624 - 25/01/11 01:35 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Sorry to hear of your bodily damage Slogger, hope it doesn't keep you out of the hills for too long (sod work). My friends
ask me if I feel safe going into the hills alone.....I usually reply - a lot darn safer than walking round Liverpool city centre at night! (not that I do much of that. So, with you on getting away from the dangers of civilisation.

#59628 - 25/01/11 05:01 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Calluna]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Sorry to hear about your incident Dave. I think you did well to come off without being badly injured. But I think a backward somersault would have been quicker giving the appropriate gestures mid air.

Seriously though, I am glad you are basically ok.

#59630 - 25/01/11 11:10 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Bloody hell Dave... commiserations mate - sounds like that could have been a lot worse!
How many lives left now?

#59631 - 26/01/11 02:57 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Not too many me thinks, but cheers Mick.
Just checked my Mortgage payment protection insurance policy. Not looked at it properly before. Typically not quite what I thought it was, looks like I'm going to have to force myself back to work sooner than I had hoped. I am going to try a small job tomorrow or Friday morning to see how I cope.
As you say it could have been a lot worse, good job Ive got a hard head.
I first tested it out when I was a 9 year old. Coming home from the Saturday Matinee at the local Flicks, on an open decker back loader (bus), I was busting for a pee. We didn't have much money as a family and all but the top fly button on my short pants were missing, no underpants either.
I had watched many adults jumping off buses and running, before it had quite come to a stop at bus stops.
I decided to do the same. Problem was I misjudged it and when I jumped, the bus was still doing about 30mph.
Apparently I did several forward rolls before a Lamppost halted my progress as I hit it with back of my head.
The conductor ran and picked my unconscious body up in his arms, only for, you know what, to pop up out of my trousers and pee all over him.
Two large lumps on my head and injections into my thigh every day for the following two weeks in Booth Hall Hospital.
About six years later on the same bus run, and getting off at the same intended bus stop. My pal and myself moved onto the open bus deck, only to be cautioned by the conductor.
"Careful boys, keep back from the edge, about six years ago, one of my passengers left the deck and hit a Lamppost near this same stop." (owtte)
I looked at my pal and we got off without saying anything.
I wasn't going to tell him that it was me that had peed all over him!
Dave.

#59662 - 29/01/11 12:19 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

LOL - that is funny Dave! Hope the trial job went well and that you are soon back to normal,
cheers
mick

#59671 - 29/01/11 05:14 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
LOL - that is funny Dave! Hope the trial job went well and that you are soon back to normal,
cheers
mick

Well the trial job was sheer agony, so thats it, there's no way I can do any work until until things settle a bit more.
Most injuries are gradually getting better and there's no more fluid getting my legs or arm, but the bruising where my Gluteus Maximus joined my Sacrum ( big buttock muscle and tailbone) if anything has felt worse every day. It has been particularly painful today that I went back to the A&E, where they explained it better and prescribed Diclofenac.
I am really annoyed that they not pressing charges against the driver, at first I just thought I'd leave it up to the police, but now I have realised fully what happened, my feelings have changed.
He cut the corner completely coming through on the wrong side of the road, where I was crossing, he has no excuses it was just appalling driving and it looks like he is going to get away with it because there were no witnesses.
Dave.

#59686 - 01/02/11 03:42 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
Dave, glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better and I hope you are back to full fitness and walking again soon

Mick

#59690 - 01/02/11 09:43 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: walkanddrink]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Hi Dave,
Just seen this thread, what a nightmare. I'd say your lucky to be still with us, no thanks to thats idiots friving. So glad you had your whits about you and were able to jump partially out of the way. The old boy in the car certainly needs the riot act reading after doing that.
Those pills are major pain killers (Heidi's a nurse), once the dosage builds up in your system you should feel somewhat better. Its wrong that the old boys insurance isn't going to cover any issues you face on the mortgage.
les

#59706 - 01/02/11 08:57 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Than you Les and Mick,
I'm not much good at being non active and am a bit fed up at present. The Diclofenac IS starting to kick in now and I am hoping to ease back into work starting this Friday. I know its at least going to be uncomfortable for a while, but I can cope with that so I will have to see how it goes.
Cheers.
Dave.

#59722 - 02/02/11 11:11 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

That is such a bummer Dave - hope you can make it to the pub at least!

#59747 - 05/02/11 04:04 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

I think a visit to CAB to get advice on a civil prosecution,Dave.
My mate got hit by a car a few years back,but again no witnesses,only the driver and my mate.
The driver claimed my mate walked out in front of him,but after getting an assessor (try the AA)to look at the car,it became obvious from the impact point on the car that it could not have been impossible for the pedestrian to have impacted where he did from a straight walk out.
It's all down to angles,and trigonomathingy.
In a civil case I believe he has to prove his innocence( I may be wrong),either way up,you have expences,loss of earnings and injuries to consider,and his insurance should be at least offering you some sort of compo.
My mate got all his expences,losses,and a tidy lump on top as well as the lump on his head.
Worth checking out,and the Police can do reconstructions with computers now.I seen it on the telly,so it must be true.(Road Wars,not Starsky and Hutch before you ask.....TAKE IM TO DA CLEANERS GUV.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59749 - 05/02/11 04:50 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Just a thought to provoke your actions.
If you walked into the side of a moving vehicle you would be pushed to the side,and not over the top.

If you walked out in front of a car,it would suggest you had not seen it's approach, therefore a collision impacting the front of the vehicle would throw you onto the bonnet(hood if you're American)and also impact the windscreen(windscreen if your're American) causing you to fall into the area in front of the car(automobile if you're American).

If you were already on the road and were able to jump up,it would suggest that the car driver had not seen you and failed to reacted appropriatly(brake and swerve, if you're American),and also that you had seen it's approach,and unless you have suicidal tendencies,would not have stepped out in the first place.

Now I don't know you personally,but as a lover of the great outside,and keen walking type;your profile does not suggest a desire to wantonly self destuct.
Hope you are getting better,and I hope this helps,but if I were in your shoes I would TAKE IM TO DA CLEANERS!!!!
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59750 - 05/02/11 04:51 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

GUV!
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59751 - 05/02/11 04:57 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Glad to hear you are okay,Dave.If you have got his insurance details you can put in a personal injury claim and also claim for loss of earnings.Make sure your GP signs you off sick so you have some proof that you are unable to work.

#59754 - 05/02/11 08:20 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: tonyk]
Slogger Offline

Thanks RT and Tony,
My solicitor is on the case now, he thinks it is an 'open and shut case' as it ought to be.
The very shape of the junction means that even if he had taken the widest arc into the junction instead of cutting it, I would have to have been a good 4 or 5 paces into the road in order for him to collide with me. I estimate I was 12 or 13 paces into the road.
Once papers have been sent to his insurance, a new rule by the Ministry of Justice gives them just 3 weeks to reply (instead of 3 months) accepting or denying liability.
Meanwhile I have had to go go back to work, although the 3 jobs I have completed were done in substantial discomfort generally, with sheer agony at the base of my Spine every time I stoop forward. Unfortunately the nature of my job puts me in that position most of the time. I'm just hoping that I am not damaging myself more or prolonging the healing.
Loss of earnings recovery is one thing, but many of my business expenses like advertising, telephone, insurance etc are ongoing and still have to be paid whether I am working or not and these cannot be recovered as they come out of turnover not earnings.
It's a mess and I am unable to go for a simple walk to unload some of the frustration.
Don't worry though, I will get through it and come out the other side. I have already decided that as I have somehow lost all my photos of Cumbria's Furness Way, I will do that again, only the other way round early Spring if possible.
Dave.

#59755 - 05/02/11 09:09 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Slogger,
Just wandered in and read this thread and would like to add my sympathies. Can just imagine the frustration of the enforced inactivity to a 'footslogger' such as yourself, let alone the attendant costs. Top marks for the vertical take-off under pressure though - visions of a Harrier jump jet spring to mind!
Anyhow, very best wishes for the back, and may you be stooping to lace boots and heft packs before too long.
George.

#59756 - 05/02/11 09:30 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Geo]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loss of earnings = 1000000
Losss of sense of humour= priceless.
Glad you still have it.
A really heartfelt wish for your complete recovery.
Then,

TAKE IM TO DA CLEANERS GUV!!!
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59784 - 07/02/11 10:11 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Unfortunately the nature of my job puts me in that position most of the time.

I hope there are no sheep involved.
Could get messy.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59790 - 08/02/11 05:30 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Unfortunately the nature of my job puts me in that position most of the time.

I hope there are no sheep involved.
Could get messy.

They should be so lucky and no I don't wear wellies.

Looks like the Doc may at last have got me going again, not pain free but much better. He agrees that my main problem seems to be Tendinitis or strained Ligaments at my Sacrum area.
The Diclofenac did a good job but were not effective with the acute pain problems, so he has put me on Naproxen, which has enabled me to work more comfortably today.
I saw the driver in our local shop last Sunday. I was so tempted to thank him for not even bothering to inquire as to how I was, at the time of the collision or since, but thought better of it as it's now in the hands of the Legal Eagles.
Dave.

#59801 - 09/02/11 04:26 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Like I said.
TAKE IM TO DA CLEANERS!

GUV!
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59803 - 09/02/11 06:01 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Oldun Offline

Slogger. When you are going through the legal things be aware that the injuries you have received may heal up fairly quickly now, but some years down the line you may inherit hip disorders or other joint problems. Do not wish to be morbid, but it is something you should look at.

#59809 - 09/02/11 06:26 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Oldun]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: Oldun
Slogger. When you are going through the legal things be aware that the injuries you have received may heal up fairly quickly now, but some years down the line you may inherit hip disorders or other joint problems. Do not wish to be morbid, but it is something you should look at.

Yes I am aware of that, but that delays thing considerably and at the end of the day as far as a claim is concerned it's down to what the consultant doing the report says. Although thanks for the reminder, I will mention it to him when the time comes.
Dave.

#59854 - 11/02/11 09:27 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

I dunno.
Ya turn ya back fer a minit an Chorley becomes the crime capital of the world.

Never mind,"Look before you leap".
More like,"Leap before the bumper gets too close"
Yup Mad as hatters.

#59910 - 15/02/11 04:16 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Well, last Sunday had a really bad day. Awoke and could hardly move, rolled out of bed then bending to get socks on or lift my legs high enough to put my trousers on was impossible. Managed it with help, my whole back about to fall apart at any time. Agonising teetering walk to the shops had me exhausted by the time I got back home.
Made an appointment with the local out of hours emergency surgery and low and behold saw my own GP there. Back muscles totally in spasm, triggered from my Sacroiliac joint, left side.
Prescribed Diazapam, otherwise known a vallium, a great muscle relaxant.
Awoke Monday morning, what a difference, completed two jobs with only minor discomfort. Took medication after getting home, I didn't want to drive whilst on their full effects.
Two more jobs today after taking just an anti inflammatory and at last beginning to feel something like right.
I realise medication still in my system may be disguising problems, but just being able to move something like normal feels great, so i might make this weekend at Gillerthwaite after all, fingers crossed!
Dave.

#59912 - 15/02/11 07:29 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Nice one Dave, hope your back to full fitness soon, sounds like things are going in the right direction at last.
Les

#59921 - 16/02/11 07:24 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Thanks Les. Yeah things (fingers crossed) have changed dramatically since last Sunday. I managed almost a full days work today on just a couple of Nurofen tablets, and the flexibility is almost back to normal.
I have decided that I am going to Gillerthwaite this weekend, its going to get rather wintery again by the sound of things.
Dave.

#59923 - 16/02/11 09:50 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
runnerbeen Offline

Loc: Boston, Lincolnshire
I've just picked up on your alarming injury thread Dave and wish you a speedy recovery and successful compensation.
Perhaps the Gillerthwaite visit - getting out in the Lakes; camaraderie etc -will be the good psychological boost you need, whatever the weather.
Good luck
Ray

#59931 - 17/02/11 11:36 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

I'm sure your mates would rather you be there, and perhaps prepared to go a bit steadier maybe. Good to hear you're getting back in shape!
cheers
mick

#59984 - 20/02/11 08:07 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Before we bought Forest View, Colin and I were carpet fitters I have lost count of the number of people who only got their carpets fitted courtesy of Naproxen.Hope to-day has been a good one.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#60007 - 23/02/11 07:39 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

I went to Gillerthwaite. i usually go up early morning on the Friday and have a good walk then wait for everyone to arrive that evening.
This time however myself and my two pals who I traveled up with in the evening were the last to arrive.
Sorted out my bunk and took a beer to meet the others already in the lounge. I was surprised to get a big cheer as I entered the room, Not wanting to bore them all with the details I just told them I was okay, and that I had a challenging walk in mind for them all on the Saturday.
I hadn't really, well not that challenging anyway.
We walked up the forest track to the little slanting path that takes you up to Scarth Gap, then on to Haystacks. A brief stop for a bite to eat and onward to the top of Loft Beck.
Out of the 20 in the group 14 headed back via the Loft beck descent and Forest track. 6 of us carried on through fresh snow, deep in places on to Brandreth, then Green Gable.
During the descent back towards Black Sail Hut, I got a bad attack of the 'Old Mans Cramp', up the inside of the thighs.
Very difficult to stretch out, so kept having to stop and wait for the worst to pass. By the time I reached the Hut, the others apart from my mate who stayed with me were long gone.
I am usually one of the first back but this time i was last.
One of the girls wanted to send a car back up the track to get me. I'm glad they persuaded her not to, as I wouldn't have got in it, despite her caring intentions.
I'm not worried about these cramps I always get them early on in the year during my initial outings, its my body telling me I'm not fit enough to do what I am doing at the moment.
Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend as did everyone and raring to go again now.
dave.

#60009 - 24/02/11 09:12 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Good on ya Dave, glad to see you back in the saddle again. It wont be long until your dreaming about another 5 day'er lol
All the best best.
Les

#60010 - 24/02/11 11:00 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Les + Heidi]
lightweightmick Offline

...or nightmares Les..?
anyway, good to hear you're getting going again Dave,
best of
mick

#60014 - 24/02/11 05:38 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Thanks Les and Mick.
Got to admit my thoughts keep drifting towards an E to W, a N to S Offas Dyke and a North to South PW too.
I think all will have to be done sometime or I'll never rest, mind I wont rest afterwards anyway.
Dave.

#60018 - 24/02/11 10:28 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Cambrian Way..?

#60020 - 25/02/11 11:26 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Oldun Offline

Slogger. Re: your injuries.

From my own experiences I know that pain killers and drugs do not heal the problems after body damage, they only disguise the problem; and because the drugs make you feel good, you go out and put strain on areas that have been pain deadened, but are still in the process of healing. Hence your relapse the other day.

For me, I must always regularly visit a serious masseur every other week in order to get the blood circulating in my leg and back muscles; and the knots in the muscles smoothed out. If I miss a couple of visits I slowly become immobilized by muscle tension which causes nerve pains when I sit or move.

Some days like today, I feel like popping a pill just to make the pain go away....but I don't because I know of the damage I can do to the muscles afterwards by over straining them.

Slogger, I very seriously suggest that in order to give yourself some relief that you find a serious sports masseur like the footballers or rugby players have. Not an osteopath or an NHS supplied physio, as most of them are incompetent and do more damage than good.

Try to wean your self off the painkillers, as they will only prolong the muscle damage.

My very best wishes Slogger.

#60023 - 25/02/11 01:18 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Two weeks ago I| bought a Homemedics massage cushion for my wife (in a sale for 49). It has been a joy to use. It cured her aching back after 2 sessions on the first day. I now use it every night when I am at home and find it completely removes any residual aches, stiffness and stress in the back, shoulders and neck ... although, in fairness, these are just daily wear and tear issues rather than an underlying problem.

#60024 - 25/02/11 04:36 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Mick,
Re- Cambrian Way, Ive had the book for a while and the report about the authors journey. It is one I would seriously like to do. He spent 3 weeks on it. Its only a bit longer than the PW but with about twice the ascent. Once I get fully fit again maybe two weeks would see it cracked, but yes it would be a good one to do.
Oldun and SC,
Thanks very much for your comments and tips.
I do see the value in using a sports masseur, a couple of pals use one regularly.
I have been off all painkillers for well over a week now and am trying to stay off them. It is still very uncomfortable doing my work and parts that I thought were almost healed, clearly are not, just as you say Oldun.
My Ribs in particular seem if anything to be getting worse and have caused loss of sleep the last three nights. It will be five weeks this Sunday. Last time I broke three Ribs next to my Sternum, they were more or less okay by five weeks. I presume it's the soft tissue damage that I am still feeling, and feeling more as I have become more active.
Good advice though, thanks very much.
Dave.

#60025 - 25/02/11 07:10 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Oldun Offline

Slogger. Re rib pain.

For weeks I had to sleep on my back on a semi inflated airbed to keep the pressure off my ribs. There was just enough air pressure in the bed to keep my back off the surface underneath. Impossible to turn over...I just had to lie there, relax and let sleep take me.

I believe that sleep is the best healer, although anti inflammatories were a great asset initially.

#60038 - 27/02/11 11:51 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

One of the girls wanted to send a car back up the track to get me. I'm glad they persuaded her not to, as I wouldn't have got in it, despite her caring intentions.

Refusing a lift froma young lady?
Blimey Dave you must have really clobbered you noggin on landing.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60042 - 27/02/11 12:19 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Refusing a lift froma young lady?
Blimey Dave you must have really clobbered you noggin on landing.

Now if I'd been on my own!??
Dave.

#60045 - 27/02/11 12:45 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

oh you tease.....
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60049 - 27/02/11 08:24 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

I once came across the daughter of a well known celebrity (I later found out) who had walked up to the summit of Latrigg to perform some ancient rite as the sun rose. I don't know who got the biggest shock, her seeing someone else there at 4am or me coming upon her ......... (censored)

#60055 - 27/02/11 08:43 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

what..? you naked or she?

#60056 - 27/02/11 08:44 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

...or something else... do tell!

#60057 - 28/02/11 09:38 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Oldun Offline

You can't leave it hanging in the air like that.........

What religious rite....?

Which part of the ritual had she arrived at...?

What was the dress code for the rite....?

What were her first words in your presence.........?

#60062 - 28/02/11 08:49 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Oldun]
lightweightmick Offline

...either OMG! ...or a saucy smile by sound of it

#60090 - 01/03/11 08:55 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

It was a few years ago when I was solo camping at Greta Bank Farm in Keswick. I got up before dawn and made my way up the steep side of Latrigg arriving there just as the sun came up.

As I approached the summit I could see flickering lights and could hear a strange sort of quiet rhythmical chanting. I could see a figure bending over these lights chanting what sounded like "Seradim, your time is come" over and over again.

As I came to the top I quietly gave a greeting so as not to startle the person. This failed as a lady, 25ish, looked around and stood up quite shocked to find herself not alone. At this point her lack of attire became quite obvious.

It then became quite surreal as I found myself, clothed in hiking gear, rucksack and boots talking to a naked, unknown lady who was disconcerting at ease chatting to me.

She explained that that day was a significant pagan festival day and she was welcoming one of her gods with the gift of light. The lights had to form a circle and her calling was to show him/her/it that it was welcome to enter it. Her religious name was Amarel, she didn't use any other name.

She offered me a drink of some mixture that she said was magic herbs. I declined. She spent several minutes trying to persuade me to assist her in her ceremony and even offering to dance with me. This I found just too much to take, I made my excuses and bade her a fond farewell heading off towards Lonscale Fell at a much quicker pace.

It was some short time afterwards that I saw her alongside her father, a well know national celebrity, adorning the front page of several papers.

#60091 - 01/03/11 08:55 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

Should say disconcertingly .... of course ....

#60093 - 01/03/11 11:25 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
She explained that that day was a significant pagan festival day and she was welcoming one of her gods with the gift of light. The lights had to form a circle and her calling was to show him/her/it that it was welcome to enter it. Her religious name was Amarel, she didn't use any other name.

She offered me a drink of some mixture that she said was magic herbs. I declined. She spent several minutes trying to persuade me to assist her in her ceremony and even offering to dance with me. This I found just too much to take, I made my excuses and bade her a fond farewell heading off towards Lonscale Fell at a much quicker pace.

It was some short time afterwards that I saw her alongside her father, a well know national celebrity, adorning the front page of several papers.

Well, slowcoach, I think you are EITHER the god she was summoning up (I have suspected this was so for some time, because nobody else can match the pace of your postings) OR you are a News of the World journalist, choosing your moment to have "made my excuses and left"
Good story anyway, and you're still being very coy about the identity of her dad. Thus I think you are indeed a N of the W journalist, protecting the identity of your sources (or should I say "saucies")
Kind regards and thanks for the story. Makes a change from all the chat about how to walk a LDP when they've clearly never worn a pair of boots and walked a short one.

#60099 - 02/03/11 03:51 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
I once came across the daughter of a well known celebrity (I later found out) who had walked up to the summit of Latrigg to perform some ancient rite as the sun rose. I don't know who got the biggest shock, her seeing someone else there at 4am or me coming upon her ......... (censored)

You did what across her?.......sounds like an X rated post to me.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60106 - 02/03/11 07:50 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Too obscure for me .... I had to ask my wife to explain!

#60109 - 03/03/11 09:54 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Well if that don't cheer Dave up, we've nowt to come!
Beats my experience with the strap-a-dick-to-me that one.
I think I'd have been pretty quick to whip my kit off and join in...
Do you think she's grown out of it by now..?

#60110 - 03/03/11 10:12 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Oldun Offline

Slowcoach, the recounting of your experience just goes to prove that the average man when shown fresh meat on a plate, will walk away, still in search of the hidden titbit in a caserole.

This reminds me of a story my sister told me last summer. She being a well built blond woman of 6ft 2 inches, weighing 180 pounds.

She had just walked naked from her shower into her bedroom dressed only with a towel wrapped around her head. When she opened her bedroom door she found a young burglar in there searching through her belongings.

In rage she rushed towards him screaming blue murder. The guy turned, screamed and ran, diving head first through a window onto the lawn outside. He picked himself up and ran off down the road with panic on his face have just escaped a fate worse than death.

The local police said that the guys experience had probably put him off burglary for life.

My sister said that what she had in mind for him would have made the front page of the news of the world.

#60111 - 03/03/11 10:31 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Oldun]
lightweightmick Offline

This forum just gets better...
laugh
this is mine remembered (foot of page), though tame by comparison:
http://www.btinternet.com/~m.l.weller/Cal-Der-Lime/CDLW1.htm

#60112 - 03/03/11 11:10 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Whenever someone asks what I would like for my birthday I invariably reply "a paternity suit filed by an 18 year old blonde".

I suppose the events on Latrigg discredit this idea now!

#60116 - 03/03/11 08:48 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

laugh

Is this where the saying
" a strapping fine lass " comes from?
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60125 - 04/03/11 05:34 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Yes that has cheered me up, even the Ribs feel better now!
Dave.

#60130 - 05/03/11 01:31 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

As previously stated.
TAKE IM TO DA CLEANERS GUV!
Glad you arestaring to feel better, butfrom the photo the facial injuries are going to take decades to heal.
Never mind.We can't all be this handsome.
It would be unfair.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60132 - 05/03/11 11:32 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Too true, you must be heaven blessed, however my appearance in the photo it has to be said, is not down to said manic driver, or the focus, but the contents of said glass - Hoegaaden.
Cheers again!
Dave.
PS. An acquired taste.

#60135 - 05/03/11 12:45 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
lightweightmick Offline

laugh

Is this where the saying
" a strapping fine lass " comes from?

lol!

#60142 - 06/03/11 10:15 AM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

RT,
Changed my pic, is that an improvement?
Feet in B&B after my C2C.
Dave.

#60146 - 06/03/11 03:20 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

lol, I'm surprised that passed the suitability test!

#60161 - 07/03/11 07:27 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Originally Posted By: Slogger
RT,
Changed my pic, is that an improvement?
Feet in B&B after my C2C.
Dave.

I cannot say for sure,but I think I have a pair just like that.
I don't remember leaving them anywhere.
I have not seen them for a while.
But that could be down to just good living.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60165 - 07/03/11 07:55 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

I saw a pair like that once too .... but I couldn't get close enough to read the tag attached to the big toe.

#70665 - 16/08/12 01:53 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Remember this.
The original subject matter got somewhat waylaid along the way.

After getting nowhere and the guys insurance (and him) refusing to admit liability, my solicitor issued court papers and it was listed for next month.
What added to the problem was the fact that the policeman who took charge got his satement all wrong, even staing that it was a wet day, when it was a dry one and that I was using my mobile phone, which I wasn't
The OP insurance relied heavily on that and that I was distracted.
Anyway my solicitor engaged the services of an accident investigator and medical expert.
Recently I was interviewed by a barrister, who laughed at the other sides statements and in partyicular the PC's one which had changed a lot now that it was on official court document.
Once the other side had viewed all the official papers they came back with an offer which was slightly more than what the barrister suggested I might be awarded if I had won the case in court.
I accepted the offer which although not a fortune, gave me satisfaction in the knowledge that the guy had not gotten away with it.
Dave.

#70666 - 16/08/12 02:03 PM Re: Not my best last 7 days! [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Glad youwon the case Dave as things could have been a lot worse,ie,crippled and unable to walk again.These people need bringing to book and I hope his next insurance premium is enough to keep him off the road for good.Mobile phone useage and the weather can be checked to the exact second so he must have had a bit of a duff solicitor if he tried pulling that one!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917