Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2630
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3338 Topics
34928 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59644 - 28/01/11 12:27 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall Forum! [Re: Mac]
trenchfoot Offline

Is it possible to cycle the route easily?

#59645 - 28/01/11 12:37 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall Forum! [Re: trenchfoot]
Harland Online   content

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: trenchfoot

There are a lot of steep ups and downs and personally I wouldn't want bikes to be ruining a good path. Sorry!

However there is a Hadrian's Cycleway which forms part of the
National Cycle Network see:-

http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/

#59684 - 31/01/11 04:42 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall Forum! [Re: Harland]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Near to Househeads Fort and for several miles at least, a lot of 'Wallers' use the easier track that runs below and parallel to the wall, rather than the wall path itself.
I have always found it peculiar that some walkers take a lot of trouble and time with the planning and arrangements to do a specific LDP, then go and start taking short cuts and easier options while supposedly doing it.
Dave.

#59737 - 04/02/11 09:46 AM Re: Hadrian's Wall Forum! [Re: Slogger]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
Dave, sometimes pain means an easier route. I walked the wall in 2005 and had to take to the low road in parts, had a lot of pain in one of my knees and not wanting a second operation on it took the path of least resistance. Do I feel cheated, no, would I do the same thing again, yes. You are still walking the miles and it is sometimes nice to get off the beaten track and be alone for a bit.

Mick

#59741 - 04/02/11 10:05 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall Forum! [Re: walkanddrink]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Yes Mick,
I understand taking the easier option if suffering from an injury, but some just seem to see at a bit of a climb on an official route and start to look for alternatives.
However I admit that I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to following the laid down route to the letter when doing it for the first time. Alternatives can be explored during subsequent trips.
Of course each to their own, not saying my philosophy is better than anyone elses, just wouldn't do for me.
Dave.

#59905 - 15/02/11 07:24 AM Re: Hadrian's Wall Forum! [Re: trenchfoot]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Originally Posted By: trenchfoot

It is many years since I did HW so I do not know what it is like now, but at the time I would say that doing two thirds of the route on bike would have been preferable to walking along an imaginary line where the wall used to be...as well as getting out of the Newcastle end as soon as possible.

All I can remember of the walk are endless pavements and jumping out of the way of cars traveling at high speed. Until I reached the part where the wall actually begins, paths slightly inland of the main roads were waist high in stinging nettles and there was the chore of the big diversions around fenced off farmersí fields.

The memories I have of walking through the Newcastle back streets were of crunching on broken glass and slipping on used condoms.

The best part of the walk, for me, was around Vindolanden and onwards to the coast.

Based upon my previous experience, I would say that if I ever did this route again I think that I would definitely consider biking it, or using a car.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright © The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561