The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59648 - 28/01/11 03:40 PM Unmissable bits I missed 1st time
footpad Offline

In 2002 I walked the PW - the 1st LDP I'd walked and my favourite. I'm going to walk it again this Summer and want to do some alternative routes and see the things I missed first time round. High Cup Nick was shrouded in cloud, so I'm hoping it'll be clear this time.

I also missed some other sights just off Wainright's route. Here is my list of places to see or different routes to take:

1) Edale: Grindsbrook alternative. Grindsbrook Clough, and over Kinder plateau
2) Hebden Bridge: take Hardcastle Crags alternative
3) Cowling: visit Wainman's Pinnacle & Lund's Tower. Go to Pinshaw Beacon
4) Malham Cove: See Water Sinks, where tarn's stream disappears into the ground
5) Pen-y-ghent: Detour to see 60 foot limestone pinnacle. See Hunt Pot and Hull Pot - a large open crater (the largest natural hole in the country, 300x60 feet)
6) Horton: see Sell Gill Holes, Calf Holes (or Dry Laithe Cave) and Browgill Cave which can be entered for 70ft with torch
7) From Gt Shunner Fell: see Lake District peaks and the white speck of Tan Hill Inn (if weather's clear)
8) Tan Hill Inn's Coal Mine
9) Do Bowes Loop & visit Bowes Castle
10) See High Cup Nick in clear weather…. hopefully!
11) See lead mine workings just after Greg's Hut on Cross Fell
12) Bellingham: Visit Hareshaw Linn waterfall
13) After Auchope Cairn, detour to see the narrow ravine of Hen Hole

Second time round, I'll feel more relaxed and won't mind doing small detours if worthwhile. I'll be camping so won't have specific timings to adhere to.
Have I missed any other sights worth visiting on or just off route?
Thanks in advance.

#59651 - 28/01/11 05:06 PM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: footpad]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
On Pinshaw Beacon visit the Beacon Guards grave. Only a couple of minutes away.

#59655 - 28/01/11 08:14 PM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Not any other sites, but two of yours to do:
Water Sinks and Sell Gill Holes, didn't you pass right by them the first time. They are hardly a detour off the normal route.
Dave.

#59666 - 29/01/11 02:25 PM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Some more unusual sights ...

Look at the sea captains grave in Kirby Malham churchyard. As he spent so much of his married life at sea he and his wife were buried separated by a small stream with the inscription "As water parted us in life so it will in death"

Similarly there is an unusual inscription in the new section of Hawes churchyard. It is from a casualty of the Garsdale rail tragedy and says "Tell my mother about it will you. She lives in Ayr"

Have a couple of minutes at Jennett's Foss near Malham. Jennet was a witch who reputedly lived in a small adjacent cave. Incorrectly called Janet's Foss on the map.

Take a small detour after Malham and walk via the summit of Fountains Fell. Good viewpoint but inaccessible when the route of the PW was devised. There is a stone stile in the wall to let you rejoin the walk without doubling back.

Wainwath falls at Keld are worth a few minutes visit.

If there in late May look out for the gentians in Teesdale

How about trying the High level finish. Saves some road walking but also requires more effort than most people have left approaching the end of 27 miles of walking! It is worth it though.

#59679 - 30/01/11 06:24 PM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: footpad]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: footpad

7) From Gt Shunner Fell: see Lake District peaks and the white speck of Tan Hill Inn (if weather's clear)
9) Do Bowes Loop & visit Bowes Castle
Have I missed any other sights worth visiting on or just off route?
A slight detour from Great Shunner Fell to look at the Buttertubs on the Hawes to Thwaite road.

There is the Goldsborough Rocks on the Bowes Loop, worth a look around there.

#59733 - 03/02/11 09:12 PM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: flatlands]
footpad Offline

Right I'll add those - thanks for your suggestions.
Those graves seem like fun and I need to do Fountains Fell summit so I can tick it off, on my Hill Lists app.
I did do the high level finish before... as it's the last bit of ridge walking to eek out before going home.

As for the water sinks and Sell Gill Holes, I didn't notice them... must have just trudged past not thinking about it. That's the point, this time I want to ensure I see everything. I'll write it on each day's to-see list and take photos.

Has anyone done the Hareshaw Linn waterfall on route... ie. without backtracking? As it seems on the map you might have to.

#59734 - 04/02/11 01:24 AM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: footpad]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
You could do Hindhope linn it takes 10 mins extra.Just before the picnic area at Blakehopeburnhaugh follow the waymarking off to the left of the track just short of the farm you can just go to the waterfall and backtrack or follow the waymarking and it will take you up through the forest over the top of the waterfall and back to the start point. It`s not a huge fall but its bonny and peaceful.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#59736 - 04/02/11 07:26 AM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: footpad]
slowcoach Offline

Originally Posted By: footpad
Right I'll add those - thanks for your suggestions.
Those graves seem like fun and I need to do Fountains Fell summit so I can tick it off, on my Hill Lists app.
I did do the high level finish before... as it's the last bit of ridge walking to eek out before going home.

As for the water sinks and Sell Gill Holes, I didn't notice them... must have just trudged past not thinking about it. That's the point, this time I want to ensure I see everything. I'll write it on each day's to-see list and take photos.

Has anyone done the Hareshaw Linn waterfall on route... ie. without backtracking? As it seems on the map you might have to.

If you are walking the highest hills you can include a detour to take in Darnbrook Fell. Not particularly difficult as it is a reasonably flat traverse to it and the view from it makes it worthwhile. However, whether you actually climb the dividing fence just before the somewhat badly eroded summit is another matter.

(I have 45 of the 310 English tops over 600m still to do. Off to the Lakes in March to attempt some more)

#59746 - 05/02/11 10:51 AM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: slowcoach]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
See, now you have caused me problems! Do I make sure I see all of these sites during my walk in May, or do I just carry on and hope for the best!!

It's good to know, I will take the list with me and dependent on time and energy levels may well take a look at some of them.

Mick

#59752 - 05/02/11 06:37 PM Re: Unmissable bits I missed 1st time [Re: walkanddrink]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
A couple who were walking it last year phoned us 3 times to delay their booking by a day or 2 each time. We thought they were struggling but it turned out when they eventually got to us 6 days late that they were enjoying it so much and going off trail to see a lot of the things that the people on here have recommended that they needed more time to fit it all in. They stayed an extra night here and ended up at Kirkyetholm 8 days later than planned. Ohh the joys of retirment.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917