The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54938 - 20/04/10 06:48 AM For speed aficianados
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Came across a small group of Coast to Coasters yesterday bivouacking near Scarth Nick. They were on an exercise requiring them to complete the walk, carrying their own provisions, at an average of 3 MPH, ie 65 hours including stops. I was going to offer to accompany them on the last section but felt that their pace would slow me down!

#59659 - 28/01/11 11:03 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Did you get to know if they completed this SC?

#59665 - 29/01/11 02:12 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

No, unfortunately, like most walkers that I meet they are merely ships that pass in the night. I tend to have a brief word with almost everybody that passes if I am working locally but once they have gone I seldom hear about their success or failure.

I am however, quite interested in this group and I am trying to discover if, and if so, when their attempt is this year.

I met a couple from Sunderland Uni who were both keen long distance walkers. They had completed the Coast to Coast in 8 days at the beginning of summer vacation 2 years ago. They then returned to complete it in reverse in 7 days before the start of the autumn term. When I met the last summer they were on a 6 day self-contained crossing.

This year, they told me, they were going to walk along with 2 friends. They plan to leave St. B and walk as far as they can on each day. Their friends were driving as support, pitching the tents and providing food. When they reach Bay they plan a role reversal supporting the other two on an east to west crossing. Quite a novel idea!! I hope that I find out how they do.

I asked them to post their exploits on here but they haven't as yet done so.

#59719 - 02/02/11 11:00 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Cheers - thanks for that SC - keep us posted... all in a day's work. I only found out about the 3 day crossings of Barry Pincer from Keith at Cromwell's Plaques.
We just must be internet junkies! - others just get on with their lives lol

#59724 - 03/02/11 07:19 AM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Thanks for that. The sheer variety of ways that walkers attempt all the long distance paths reflects the diversity of people themselves, (End of today's deep thoughts ... back to reality now)

#60418 - 24/03/11 12:16 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
guybrush Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Thanks for that. The sheer variety of ways that walkers attempt all the long distance paths reflects the diversity of people themselves, (End of today's deep thoughts ... back to reality now)

One year, we kept bumping in to a well-to-do group, nice and friendly but seemed to be finishing the day at some odd places.
Over the walk we got also got friendly with their support drivers and assumed that they were getting a lift to a B&B each night. It wasn't until the penultimate day, when discussing the weather, at the Lion Inn that one of them let slip that the pilots weather forecast showed rain later. It then came out that they had been using a helicopter to go back to their manor house for a slap up dinner, wine and a hot shower each night!

This was all in the aid of raising money for a school bus.

#60421 - 24/03/11 02:19 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: guybrush]
slowcoach Offline

Now, that crossing takes some beating!

#60429 - 24/03/11 11:24 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Came across a small group of Coast to Coasters yesterday bivouacking near Scarth Nick. They were on an exercise requiring them to complete the walk, carrying their own provisions, at an average of 3 MPH, ie 65 hours including stops. I was going to offer to accompany them on the last section but felt that their pace would slow me down!

Sooner them than me.To average three mph with stops you would have to spend half the time jogging at 5mph or more.

#60449 - 25/03/11 10:03 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: tonyk]
slowcoach Offline

I did meet a chap who covered the walk in 106 hours (with virtually no planning) including overnighting in B and B and, when I met him, he looked like he had just set off!

#60458 - 26/03/11 03:09 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: tonyk

Sooner them than me.To average three mph with stops you would have to spend half the time jogging at 5mph or more.

Thing is did they do it in that time. It could be a case of a bit like the many, many Marathon runners I know that state they are going for a particular time.
Many when asked later if they succeeded, reply, "No, but I was on target at 20 miles."
Things can only be compared if done in identical ways.
If I do get an early opportunity to have an E - W attempt, it is unlikely to compare with LWMs future attempt, as I intend following the low level route between Reeth and Keld, a different seasonal route up Nine Standards, a lower level after Rosedale railway, possibly different route from Dunmail to Rosthwaite. I will also be all walking,(probably) and carrying a tent.
There are just so many variables.
Also the age thing comes into it, for example Mike Hartley still holds the record at a little over 39 hours for a fully supported run. What time would be considered comparable to that for someone say 35 years older.
The Lakeland Joss Naylor challenge is for the over 50s only. At 50 the time allowed is 12 hours, at 60 it's 18 hours and 65 is 24 hours (Double that at age 50). These times weren't just guessed at, but calculated for the human bodies physiologically changes between ages.
Dave.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917